1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Just now, Iskra said:

There is no reason to treat Rodgers like the old man in the room. The majority of the naysayers on this forum are living in the bubble of 30 years with Hall of Fame QBs at the helm. Ask the Cowboys or the 49ers how living in that fantasy world works out in the long term. If Rodgers has "slipped" in 2020, it's to a position that is still worthy of a #1 pick. It's near insanity to think otherwise.

There is no bigger bull**** than the argument of 30 years of HOF QB play. 

There is absolutely no argument to be made that Brett Favre was playing at a HOF level with the Packers past 1999. 

Aaron Rodgers has played at a HOF level 1 year since 2015. 

The people posting on this board, the ones in their late 20s, have a TON of experience watching aging declining QBs taking up huge amounts of the salary cap. 

Just now, Green19 said:

A small wr that has issues with health and catching yeah aglor I mean Reagor was a great pick with Jefferson on the board.

Jefferson would have been a terrible pick for us for reasons I described above. Also 5'11" 195 is hardly a "small" WR. He runs a mid 4.3 with a 42 inch vertical at an average size. 

Jefferson played with the #1 overall pick. Reagor had god awful QBs throwing to him

Just now, cannondale said:

"So you can draft a solid, but faulty player who might make the Packers marginally better next year OR you can draft the guy you think that will lead the Packers for the next 15+ years in most important position in all of professional sports?"

Seriously ? That's not even a challenge. 

Look at the success rate of late FRPs.  It's not great.  You'll get some solid players, but usually nothing great.  In the 26-32 range, the best players you've seen are Tre'Davious White, T.J. Watt, Kenny Clark, and Byron Jones.  The HR rate that late in the draft is less than 20%.  You have a better chance of hitting a double then you do of hitting a HR with that pick.  The Packers went up swinging for the fences, guess we will find out if they hit a HR or struck out.

1 minute ago, Macc_Aviv said:

Thinking back to last year, there was chatter that Denver made the 2nd round jump to grab Drew Lock knowing that he was our pick. Would have been interesting to see the fall-out of that at the time, especially given how good Jenkins was this year. But Lock looked good enough to be considered the QB of the future for Denver.  

This is my main issue with "why did we jump so-and-so team". It's always a consideration of how the other 31 teams are looking to move, what their ammo is, past relationships, etc. etc. etc.

I can imagine all the intel that goes into these decisions ha. It seems fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Spent too much time trying to bulk up before the combine. At his normal playing weight he's a mid 4.3 guy and more agile. Also he has a 42 inch vertical playing the Z WR.

Sorry, I probably came off as a bit of a jerk there, but the majority of us have no idea on any of these guys. I am aware of the narrative with Reagor and his 40 time, but from watching a few highlights of him I didn't quite see a 4.3 guy either. I just think it's silly to act like we know with certainty that we know who is going to turn out, when there are so many factors at play with these guys. 

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Gutekunst on why this was the year to go after a QB: "Not about the year...it happen to be a guy we liked and he fell to us."

Well, it cost you a 4th round pick to have him fall to you, bud. A hooker’s not a date. 

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Rodgers sat with no impact for 3 years. Guess we should've taken a WR for Brett.

This isn't the same situation as Favre/Rodgers and you know it. Like I asked before...What happens when Love dominates but our front office doesn't surround him with as much talent as possible? Does our front office actually believe in a "window" of super bowl contention? Or are we a franchise that strictly wants to be decent for the foreseeable future and never actually go for the top of the mountain? I want Love to be worth this pick, I really do. But even if he turns out to be a beast, it'll be by the time we have to pay him big money and we won't have resources to surround him with help. EXCEPT for the future drafts. But I'm not very confident in our front office when it comes to drafting quality players in early rounds.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Jefferson would have been a terrible pick for us for reasons I described above. Also 5'11" 195 is hardly a "small" WR. He runs a mid 4.3 with a 42 inch vertical at an average size. 

Jefferson played with the #1 overall pick. Reagor had god awful QBs throwing to him

Speed is great... when he can’t catch consistently wentz will ignore him and go to ertz.

He had questions about his catching... not the best thing for a first round wr 

Just now, Macc_Aviv said:

Sorry, I probably came off as a bit of a jerk there, but the majority of us have no idea on any of these guys. I am aware of the narrative with Reagor and his 40 time, but from watching a few highlights of him I didn't quite see a 4.3 guy either. I just think it's silly to act like we know with certainty that we know who is going to turn out, when there are so many factors at play with these guys. 

I'm not in love with the pick as I would have been if we traded up for Lamb, but I think it was a fantastic pick and us Eagles fans were expecting the worst in Jefferson as if Howie wouldn't have learned his lesson from having Golden Tate, Nelson Agholor, Goedert, and Ertz all at the same time who can't coexist.

I really don't get the trade up.  Let the draft come to you.  If you don't like your choices, trade back even if you don't get perfect value.

I doubt this pans out.  He just doesn't strike me as a difference maker.  Could be a serviceable guy as a ceiling.  Hope I'm wrong and we just did the incredible back to back to back...