1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Exactly this. Not enough people put enough emphasis on this except his supporters. There was literally NO continuity for Love last year from the year prior. He still flashed but he forced a **** ton. Burrow, with continuity, went from a day 3 grade to #1 overall. It matters. I don't get why people ignore it. Convenience, I guess.

I sure hope Love turns out to be as good as you apparently believe he can be.

I also think it unfair that some are conflating their disappointment over the position selected by unfairly maligning the player (Love) selected with the Pack's 1st pick.

Assuming Love turns out to be as good as advertised (and barring another serious injury to Rodgers in the next year or two) when do you realistically envision Love becoming the starter in Green Bay?

2022? 2023? Prior to that?

• Like 1

Ross Uglem -  Bright side:
- Love is incredibly athletically gifted.
- He doesn't have to be ready any time in the next two years, barring injury.
- LaFleur's success with RG3, Cousins, Ryan, and Goff can not be understated.
Can be argued only Cousins improved (maybe?) after losing MLF.

Zach Kruse -  The Packers probably didn't increase their chances of winning next year's Super Bowl tonight, but they bought a lottery ticket that – IF it hits – will mean 10-15 more years of high-level QB play in a city that has known nothing but high-level QB play for a quarter-century.

I don't love the timing of adding a high pick at QB, and the economics of it are kind of a mess, but Love could be the perfect type of QB to have sit and learn. Has the talent/traits, but really needs to develop. Packers can truly be patient. Rare situation

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Doesn't really negate what I said. Just because other teams were going to take him doesn't mean 1st round WR makes sense. The success rate, recently, of first round WRs has been pretty ****ty.

That's a fair point, but at the same time, what does Jordan Love bring to you guys for the next 3 years? If he pans out then yeah definitely worth it, still just as much of a question mark, if not more given the success rate of mid-late 1st round QBs being far lower than that of first round WRs.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

I sure hope Love turns out to be as good as you apparently believe he can be.

I also think it unfair that some are conflating their disappointment over the position selected by unfairly maligning the player (Love) selected with the Pack's 1st pick.

Assuming Love turns out to be as good as advertised (and barring another serious injury to Rodgers in the next year or two) when do you realistically envision Love becoming the starter in Green Bay?

It's got to be 2022 or later. Cutting Rodgers in 2021 carries a 32 million dollar dead cap hit.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

I just looked back over the years and am only recalling it based off memory. But the only names that weren't busts between 13-32 in basically this entire millenium were Aaron Rodgers and LaMar Jackson. It's proven that trading up for these inflated stock QB prospects hasn't proved successful. Rodgers was expected to go higher but didn't. Though so was Brady Quinn and that still didn't work out.

No no no no. Read the posts again. Love is our franchise QB for the next 15 years. That's a done deal.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

It'd be one of those two years. In an ideal world, I see Love becoming Colin Kaepernick minus the whole circus surrounding Kaep.

Just now, Danger said:

That's a fair point, but at the same time, what does Jordan Love bring to you guys for the next 3 years? If he pans out then yeah definitely worth it, still just as much of a question mark, if not more given the success rate of mid-late 1st round QBs being far lower than that of first round WRs.

I don't care about the next 3 years. That's an arbitrary cutoff. What about the next 10? 15? 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

The difference is that we believe that a year or two of development greatly improves the success rate of the mid round QB developing

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm being honest, the answer you guys were looking for would have been Mims plain and simple. I was shocked when you guys didn't draft any help for Rodgers early in the draft last year, even more so now. He's got Davante Adams and.... who else to catch the ball? (Still far better than my Eagles but I digress)

Have you been reading this thread?  The thesis has been laid out multiple times.  Whether you agree with it or not, the packers had Love pegged as the most valuable player left by far, regardless of position.  For the most part, The packers as a franchise haven’t drafted for pure immediate need in close to 20 years.  

Just now, Danger said:

It'd be one of those two years. In an ideal world, I see Love becoming Colin Kaepernick minus the whole circus surrounding Kaep.

Love throws a much better ball than Kaep ever did based on my brief viewing. But Love isn't as athletic or good with his feet. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think there are 25. Overall I think there were about 10 who played better overall over the entire season, and 20 that played better over the second half of the season.

Tell me why that's crazy?

Dammit. I feel like Ricky Bobby. You just keep pullin me back in. 

My question is whether you think that's because Rodgers is simply that level of QB now, or if you think he didn't have much to work with, resulting in his poor second half.

I still believe Rodgers is a top 5 QB minimum. But I guess everyone has their opinions.

Just now, beekay414 said:

I don't care about the next 3 years. That's an arbitrary cutoff. What about the next 10? 15? 

The next 3 years are when you'll still have your current Hall of Fame QB, who yeah maybe isn't an Elite QB anymore, but he's still top 10 and can win you a Super Bowl if you enable him to. Weigh that vs the likelihood of a late round QB panning out.