1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

for the record, it's not taking a QB RD1 that upsets me. It's just...I didn't think this was the right year to do it(Rodgers contract basically means we aren't talking until 2023 at the earliest for when we see change) and I also just don't like Jordan Love as a prospect at all.  They pretty much just locked themselves into waiting until Love is 24-25 yrs old and in yr4-5 of his rookie deal before he likely gets his chance as the heir apparent. This completely nullifies any advantage you'd have with him on his rookie contract since he'll be up for an extension by the time he gets his chance. Just a bad decision from an evaluation standpoint and process standpoint IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Did Rodgers inability to make throws happen when he was throwing to Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis? No? Oh. Yes, talent at WR has dropped off but he's also gotten older and more set in his ways. And he hasn't always been a mess mechanically. Go look at his 2010 tape. He was sound as hell and drove into the ball to make throws along the seems. His throw to Jennings in the Super Bowl on both the TD and the 3rd down conversion, they were picture perfect throws from the feet to the release. He didn't become a mess until he realized he could throw off his back foot like nobody ever has. There's a reason his deep ball ability has tailed off. He went from being the best deep ball guy in the league to hanging the ball in the air and falling out of all his throws. He fell in love with himself. I love, absolutely love, Aaron Rodgers. I also absolutely hate that he hasn't adjusted. He's 10x the QB Brady is physically yet Brady adapts while Rodgers refuses to admit Father Time is whoopin' his ***. 

Regardless, I don't care. I love the draft approach. We have a 37 year old QB and now we have a long term plan in place. I'd rather that be in place than drafting a 1st round center to protect our 42 year old QB or trusting a 4th rounder to be our replacement to our QB legend like New England is doing. LIS a million times in this thread, it's better to be proactive than reactive. I'll always praise a GM for that ability. Means he cares more about the future of the club than his current job status.

2015-2016 was a rough time with targets as well. I remember watching that playoff game vs Arizona when Cobb got hurt and we had the guys you named. And I just remember feeling bad for Rodgers that he had to pull off miracle after miracle to even get to overtime. Of course his team blew it immediately after that but whatever. 

I definitely concede that he used to step into his throws with much more decisiveness. Totally agree. He throws off his back foot too often now. But I don't think it's because he fell in love with himself or is too stubborn. The guy is otherworldly intelligent. I think he knows what he's doing. He just doesn't have confidence in who he's throwing to and I think that's what we're seeing now. 

He's also always thrown from odd platforms, including both feet off the ground while throwing. He's not that technically sound in terms of what people think makes a successful QB. Never has been in my opinion. I think it's what enabled him to be so different from everyone else who played the game. 

8 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

If the Packers are able to grab (in this order of value in my eyes)... 

1. Higgins

2. Mims

3. Shenault

...then I'll be a happy camper on some level.

DPJ, Edwards, Claypool, Johnson, Gibson (RB/WR), Mooney, Van Jefferson, Hill, Hodgins, etc. 

There are a TON of WR in this class that could be a day 1 impact and that's without listing any of the 3 you did.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

DPJ, Edwards, Claypool, Johnson, Gibson (RB/WR), Mooney, Van Jefferson, Hill, Hodgins, etc. 

There are a TON of WR in this class that could be a day 1 impact and that's without listing any of the 3 you did.

I'd happily take Michael Pittman Jr too.

2 minutes ago, Iskra said:

I'd be happy with supplementing a once-in-a-lifetime 36-37 y/o QB with enough talent to earn three more rings. Similar to what was done for a 37, 39, and 41 year-old now Buccaneers QB.

Yeah, one of them plays in the AFC while the other plays in a conference with competent GMs. And how many 1st round talents for the Patriots were direct impact? Also, how many 1st rounders by the Pats were taken to address WR/TE/RB? Oh, none until 2019? Weird.

Just watched all the 2019 stuff I could find on youtube for him (2018 saved for tomorrow). Seems like a whole lot of, "oh god what are you doing?!" and confusing footwork...and then there's just a throw that drops your jaw and makes you go "I get it." I actually liked his game vs  LSU as much as any of them given the level of competition. 

Do I love the pick (especially costing a move up)? No. Is it possible I'm trying to fit a story to make me feel better? Sure. But with Rodgers having 4 years left you not only get the chance to get Love ready and iron out the wrinkles - and if after a few years it doesn't seem like he's the guy you still have the chance to (if you swallow your pride) redraft and swing at QB again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

1-12 has overall a much higher success rate of not busting than 13-32, still not perfect though. Who as I said is just Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson, every other single one in that time frame was a flat out bust.

Shocker that higher draft picks have a higher success rate than lower drafted players.  

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

I was literally listing off the top of my head to prove a point lol. There's still a **** ton of WR left. 

Lol, for sure. I am also a few too many beers in, but find it hilarious that MM is going to find himself in Dallas again with all the offensive talent in the world and no defense to back it up. Dude definitely has a style...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

Shocker that higher draft picks have a higher success rate than lower drafted players.  

All I've simply noted is the general trend. Not that it's the be all end all. For whatever reason there seems to be the fine dividing line. Perhaps it can be explained by a lot of the later 1st round QBs being taken from bad teams trading back up to get QBs  in the mid-late 1st. Here's something I'd like to know. What the success rate of QBs taken in that 13-32 range specifically taken to be a replacement to someone who just retired or expected to retire soon thereafter? How many times have these picks been in order to replace very successful guys. If it's bad teams trying to reach on a QB then that makes a lot of sense and could say that a good team taking a QB later in the first might have more cause for success. This is something I haven't yet looked into.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

2015-2016 was a rough time with targets as well. I remember watching that playoff game vs Arizona when Cobb got hurt and we had the guys you named. And I just remember feeling bad for Rodgers that he had to pull off miracle after miracle to even get to overtime. Of course his team blew it immediately after that but whatever. 

I definitely concede that he used to step into his throws with much more decisiveness. Totally agree. He throws off his back foot too often now. But I don't think it's because he fell in love with himself or is too stubborn. The guy is otherworldly intelligent. I think he knows what he's doing. He just doesn't have confidence in who he's throwing to and I think that's what we're seeing now. 

He's also always thrown from odd platforms, including both feet off the ground while throwing. He's not that technically sound in terms of what people think makes a successful QB. Never has been in my opinion. I think it's what enabled him to be so different from everyone else who played the game. 

Eh, he used to be sound as hell technically. It was a result of Mac's QB school. Rebuilt him from the ground up. The lack of confidence in his WRs doesn't mean you're going to screw up your mechanics. He just got comfortable throwing off platform and bought into the hype. He's been unreal in the past, no question, but he hasn't adapted. If he drove into throws again? He'd be far more accurate. How many times did he deliver low throws because he threw off his back foot? He's flawed mechanically now but he wasn't after sitting behind Favre. Again, his 2010 and 2011 tape was almost immaculate. Now? I wouldn't teach any future QB Aaron's mechanics. His footwork is screwed and he believes far too much in his arm. How many times did he deliver a ball at the shoe strings last year? How many times did he underthrow or hang up a deep ball last year? If he drove into the throw, that wouldn't be a problem! I love Aaron. Full out. He's 37 but he still has better tools than every younger QB sans Mahomes. Yet, here we are, drafting his replacement. As his most staunch supporter here, he pisses me off because he makes me look bad when I tell @AlexGreen#20 we're lucky to have him. That's why @Norm gave me **** for it earlier. Ugh. Screw it. Have fun.

• Like 1