1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And risk your guy being plucked before your eyes?  I'd rather be proactive and grab your guy, so long as you don't mortgage your franchise's future.

Exactly. I'm ambivalent about the pick since I don't really watch college ball, but I can see the reasoning behind it. Also ambivalent about the current FO so don't really have a dog in that fight. 4th-round pick is very little cost to move up that much in the 1st. If that's all you sacrifice for what you believe will be the face of your franchise for the next 15 yrs, that's money well-spent.

It's the same rebuttal for the people complaining that this wasn't the "right" year to do it because of the cap situation. That's getting wayy too cute. This isn't a video game, and these opportunities don't necessarily come up every single year or every other year where you see a QB you really like. Sure, it'd be great if the stars align and that opportunity comes up in a year with good cap situation and you get a Russell Wilson and 2-3 *cheap-but-productive years (vs. the 1-2 we are looking at with Love if he hits). But you can't decide to just turn your nose up at anything else that isn't that situation, otherwise, you could be waiting another 4-5 years until everything lines up again. And by then the fans/wolves will have had you fired.

• Like 1

Honestly, the most important thing at this point is what will Love's jersey number be? I'm still jaded by Hundley and Kizer so please don't give Love 7 or 9. Have to hope they take 10 from Shepherd and give it to Love. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, the most important thing at this point is what will Love's jersey number be? I'm still jaded by Hundley and Kizer so please don't give Love 7 or 9. Have to hope they take 10 from Shepherd and give it to Love. 

I read something last night he intends to be #10

Is Shepard even around still?

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The report from last night is that he is being given 10,

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I read something last night he intends to be #10

Is Shepard even around still?

He’s actually on the active roster...for now. I read someplace that he thinks he’ll be able to have #10. 

Edited by JQ1

Aaron Nagler -  Rodgers contract sets up in a way where they could conceivably move on after three years relatively painlessly. And don’t forget, they have a 5th year option on Love, which gives them a bit more flexibility on the timing of the transition.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What odds? There's been like 2 QBs drafted in the late first round in the last 20 years?

Do I need to list them all?

J Cutler, B. Quinn, J Flacco, M Sanchez, J Freeman, T. Tebow, J Locker, B Gabbert, C Ponder, R tannehill, B Weeden, EJ Manuel, B Bortles,, J Manziel, T Bridgewater, P Lynch, J Rosen, L Jackson.

So it looks like we have a hit with Lamar Jackson.   The rest -Not so much.   I excluded those picked at the top of the round.

Like I said earlier - Our odds aren't good.   Possible it turns out, but far from likely.

30 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

It is throwing in the towel to winning a SB.

We had the opportunity for 2 of these guys you think will turn out, plus another depth player from the 4th round.    With this plan we get lose 2 possibilities toward improvement.   We were 1 game away from the SB, and instead of doing what we could to get 1 game better,  we went the route of taking a flyer on the future.

Who you taken at 30??? That’ll make us SB contenders or not ? At the end of the year we’re not going to be saying we were a Patrick Queen away...

• Like 2

Well have been digging into this guy.  Huge hands 10 1/2".  That is important in GB with the cold weather.  Can make off balance throws.  Good pocket presence. Has a cannon but can also put touch on the ball and is accurate.  Knock is he can't read Defenses.  Pretty big problem however it's teachable.  Scored a 27 on the Wonderlic so he's smart enough.  The more I look into it the more I understand why Gute and company pulled the trigger.  The potential is there.  

He is no where ready to step in and play.  Hope Rodgers stays healthy in 2020 and this kid can just hold the clip board.  Don't want him to be forced to play and get his confidence ruined.   

Let's face it the board sucked.  WR picked over as well as OT.  DT value wasn't there either.  Gute pretty much said as much.  So the decision was made to invest in the future.  I'm calmed down now.  One last point he is not the heir apparent .  That has to be earned.  Right now he's just another QB we are bringing into the room.  He may bust and we might have to go back to the well again before we find our next franchise QB.  Just saying it is not easy to find a franchise QB.  Sometimes you have to take a few shots to get it right.  

The 4th rounder was pick #136.  That's peanuts to move up.  Very late pick in that round could almost call it a 5th.  Certainly not crying about it.  Rodgers has had his share of injuries some season ending.  We now have a decent back up so if Rodgers does go down maybe the season isn't a total loss.  It will be if this happens next year though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Who you taken at 30??? That’ll make us SB contenders or not ? At the end of the year we’re not going to be saying we were a Patrick Queen away...

We certainly won't be saying that Jordan Love put us over the top. 

This has been a mismanagement of assets.   Pretty simple really. 

I know people don't want to hear or think about the teams management doing a poor job, but it is unavoidable conclusion if looked at honestly.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -  Rodgers contract sets up in a way where they could conceivably move on after three years relatively painlessly. And don’t forget, they have a 5th year option on Love, which gives them a bit more flexibility on the timing of the transition.

It's the same three year timeline that Rodgers was on way back when, expect Favre was wishy washy about playing, and Rodgers is on record numerous times saying he wants to play into his 40's.

It also reminds of the Brady/Jimmy G situation a bit, and maybe the Montana/Young deal ... maybe the Packers will eventually send Love somewhere else if Rodgers is winning titles, or you hand it over to Love if Rodgers starts showing his age.

I hope this helps put MLF in in control of his offense.  I want to see things ran how he wants them ran, and less like Aaron wants to run things.  

Lot of possibilities .. time will tell.