1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

Some scouts have Eason rated much higher than Love.   Should we go out and pick him in round 2?    With the failure rate of young QB's this gives us twice the chance of hitting on a franchise QB for the future.   Would that be a good use of assets?   

Going to the absurd to make the point.   We have our QB now.   It wasn't time to add the "next".  

don't waste your time with him. He was clearly in the tank for Love and we all missed it... it's to the point where he's trolling the rest of us because he refuses to acknowledge the scouting reports, which all say the same thing.

In my final mock the other day, I pointed out how horrible our 3rd round drafting has been between 2010 and last year and the media rightfully criticized our organization for every last one of those poor picks. The media was right, our scouting department wasn't. Plain and simple.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

So which is it?  Do you want to go all in or plan for the future?

Cause they can't do both.  They couldn't do it then and they can't do it now.

Who knows? They clearly can't choose between the two. We go all in on FA this last year, but then we draft as if we're going to rebuild. 

4 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Some scouts have Eason rated much higher than Love.   Should we go out and pick him in round 2?    With the failure rate of young QB's this gives us twice the chance of hitting on a franchise QB for the future.   Would that be a good use of assets?   

Going to the absurd to make the point.   We have our QB now.   It wasn't time to add the "next".  

Who cares what other scouts had Eason rated at?  The FO thought Love was special so they made the move.  This isn't a videogame...you don't get to pick and choose when your future QB is available.  Pretending that you could just wait until it was perfectly convenient is childishly naive IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Golfman said:

Blasphemy to compare a Packer player to Trubisky! Go Ryan Leaf if you have to but to NOT invoke a Trubisky! :D

Every draft pick has to prove themselves. I was no Rashan Gary fan, but he's a Packer so I"m a fan. I mean haven't people had enough time to process this and deal with it? Time to get on board. 

On board is different than unrealistic positivity.

It can be the appropriate pick and still have questions regarding how it plays out.  One can be on board and still be realistic about the floor and ceiling. 

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

The kind where you say to yourself I better start getting some guys that can actually see the field

That's what I thought. Wanted to confirm. Should be drafting that way starting today.

...and stop trading away our fourth round picks when that particular round has been our best round historically.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Yes.  They're fine being good.  And this gives them excuses for the future.

So, it is your opinion, that they are scared to be great (and improve job security) so that they can be good and make their job security...worse?

Please help me understand the mental gymnastics going on here.

You can do both .. they are probably hopeful that they locked down the future with Love and now they can focus on putting weaponry around Aaron and adding to the D.  I think they have 8 picks left, free agency after the draft, and potential trades that could be made.  There will be some veterans that get cut in the coming months.  

Just now, Joe said:

Who knows? They clearly can't choose between the two. We go all in on FA this last year, but then we draft as if we're going to rebuild. 

That's my point.  They're trying to have it both ways cause they're scared to really go all-in.  This gives them an excuse.

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Queen, Blacklock, Higgins, etc

Queen would get washed out in the run game if the DL in front of him can't keep him clean- he's a 230 lb LB who likes to try to run around blocks.  He wouldn't work in this defense; or rather you could rework the defense to work for him but it would make everybody else less effective.

Blacklock has the achilles issue and the Packers are medically conservative as an organization, and to boot we can't do physicals for guys.

Higgins is a big, slow contested catch receiver.  We have a bunch of big, fast receivers and a QB who won't throw 50/50 balls.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe said:

don't waste your time with him. He was clearly in the tank for Love and we all missed it... it's to the point where he's trolling the rest of us because he refuses to acknowledge the scouting reports, which all say the same thing.

In my final mock the other day, I pointed out how horrible our 3rd round drafting has been between 2010 and last year and the media rightfully criticized our organization for every last one of those poor picks. The media was right, our scouting department wasn't. Plain and simple.

How was getting free agents "going all in"? Also, why does using a single pick on a QB "giving up"?

We didn't trade any assets or anything last year, we spent money at positions of need right as and before other big cap hits were coming off the books.  Are the Smith Bros not allowed to play with Love when he eventually starts? 

Just now, incognito_man said:

So, it is your opinion, that they are scared to be great (and improve job security) so that they can be good and make their job security...worse?

Please help me understand the mental gymnastics going on here.

Being just good helped McCarthy stay hired for a long time.

You can't do both financially, but the draft is not much in the way of resource %. You can absolutely sign players to compete immediately and draft for the future. 

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Queen would get washed out in the run game if the DL in front of him can't keep him clean- he's a 230 lb LB who likes to try to run around blocks.  He wouldn't work in this defense; or rather you could rework the defense to work for him but it would make everybody else less effective.

I get your issues with Blacklock and Higgins.  I disagree strongly on Queen.  I think he would be perfect to help us defend against a team like the 49ers who make you defend the entire field.  

Lol some of these takes are rich, man. I love parrots and we've got a lot in here. 

Whatever. Wallow in your misery, I'll go gloat in my happiness. Enjoy thinking the world is ending because we didn't draft an off ball linebacker or WR lol. 

I love this place. Quality entertainment. 

• Like 2