1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's not inconceivable that he was their QB1.  Burrow's age (23) is a concern if you're not going to play him right away,  Tua has the whole injury issue, so it just comes down to how they felt about Herbert.

I doubt he was QB1.  I'm sure Burrow was it, but the Packers probably didn't invest much (if any) time into him because short of him committing murder, he was going off the board well before the Packers were going to pick.

41 minutes ago, Joe said:

Don't give me that crap.

For the sake of debate. Lance Zierlein's pretty damn accurate. He compares Love to Bortles.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-love?id=32194c4f-5613-0776-be4c-ce231b05c522

Below-average decision-making against zone looks

Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches

Please...

I've noticed this about you....do you watch film, or just take what some guy on a website writes as gospel?

Because your posts all go back to some dude writing on some website.  And you seem to take everything they say as an ultimate fact.

Put on some film and enlighten me/us.  I think if you do, you will see some positives to Love's game.  And the things that aren't so good, can be coached.  Clearly he's not a game ready prospect right now, but he's got the perfect situation to come into.  He can sit down and learn without being thrown to the wolves.  Even Rodgers needed that.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Bills traded up for Tremaine who is a beast.  Titans traded up for Rashaan Evans who is a beast.  Both those guys were special last year.  Bush was awesome for the Steelers as well.

As for the bolded, it's pretty self-explanatory.  They're focused on 4-5 years down the road and not winning a SB next year.  They know they'll get to the playoffs.  That's good enough for them.

ILBers don’t mean squat if you don’t have bigs up front. 

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like part of this is that you're not sure about how he's going to fit, and you're trying to find out.  It's conceivable they decided against it because they did so much work on him.

The big issue with him is that he can't get off blocks so you need to keep him clean up front, and Pettine doesn't want to do that.

Doesn't want to, or cannot? Either way, that doesn't bode well for us. 

On the other hand, again, I don't think he would've been brought in to be a run plug up the middle moreso than a coverage LB that can operate sideline-to-sideline.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Bills traded up for Tremaine who is a beast.  Titans traded up for Rashaan Evans who is a beast.  Both those guys were special last year.  Bush was awesome for the Steelers as well.

As for the bolded, it's pretty self-explanatory.  They're focused on 4-5 years down the road and not winning a SB next year.  They know they'll get to the playoffs.  That's good enough for them.

Did I miss the Bills/Titans/Steelers SB trophy from the last few years?  Why exactly would we want to emulate the strategy of teams that haven't been more successful than we have?

Also, why is looking at staying competitive long term a bad strategy?  Can we not compete next year because we took a QB?

This entire line of thought just seems like an emotional reaction to me.

• Like 3

I know I didn't read someone say that Utah State tried to make the offense more pro style last year! Nothing about what Utah State does is pro style. Even in that video with Mark Sanchez, he takes a shot by saying something akin to "I'm gonna have a talk with your offensive coordinator." 

People just flat out making stuff up now to fit their narrative, hey?

Just now, YaddaHolla said:

ILBers don’t mean squat if you don’t have bigs up front. 

And WRs don't mean squat if the QB can't get them the ball, and RBs don't mean squat is the OL can't block, and CBs don't mean squat if the QB has all day to throw.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I've noticed this about you....do you watch film, or just take what some guy on a website writes as gospel?

Because your posts all go back to some dude writing on some website.  And you seem to take everything they say as an ultimate fact.

Put on some film and enlighten me/us.  I think if you do, you will see some positives to Love's game.  And the things that aren't so good, can be coached.  Clearly he's not a game ready prospect right now, but he's got the perfect situation to come into.  He can sit down and learn without being thrown to the wolves.  Even Rodgers needed that.  

I saw his Wake Forest game and saw a guy that didn't tuck it and run when he could have. I saw WR's that had to constantly adjust to the fluttery balls coming out of his hand. I also saw a guy that had a great release as I've said multiple times now. I'm not going to be like AG20 and put a ton of GIFs up because 1. I don't know how to do it admittedly, but 2. it would be a massive post.

2 minutes ago, Blink said:

Did I miss the Bills/Titans/Steelers SB trophy from the last few years?  Why exactly would we want to emulate the strategy of teams that haven't been more successful than we have?

Also, why is looking at staying competitive long term a bad strategy?  Can we not compete next year because we took a QB?

This entire line of thought just seems like an emotional reaction to me.

First two questions are irrelevant and don't make sense.

Next two questions...my point is that the Packers will be good enough to make the playoffs next year, but not good enough to win a SB.  Same as this past year.  

• Like 1

Is it possible that these guys are not going all in or out, but focused on value? Like maybe they didn't tell Rodgers because they didn't know that the best value at the end of round 1 was going to be Love (talent with a down year and who probably needs to sit so QB ready teams passed). The Smith's each had value leans that made them additions that made sense in the long term too. Trading back in the first round in year 1 had value, taking Gary had value (even if you disagree). 

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I doubt he was QB1.  I'm sure Burrow was it, but the Packers probably didn't invest much (if any) time into him because short of him committing murder, he was going off the board well before the Packers were going to pick.

Sure, Burrow was likely QB1 by default but the fact that you couldn't realistically do anything with Rodgers' contract until Jordan Love is the same age Joe Burrow is now, and Joe Burrow is 25-26 probably meant that if he did commit that murder, we weren't going to be the team that would pick him.