1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

On 11/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, packfanfb said:

I would have given up our 2 and made sure I got Justin Jefferson.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:54 PM, beekay414 said:

You don't trade up, in the first, for WRs. You, especially, don't pay that kind of price for one. The only other position I'd even argue you'd do it less for is TE or IOL. You trade back and gain assets and take a WR. 

So, two years in the league, how many wins does Jefferson have again?  

Now think about how fewer it would be if Jefferson wasn't in Minnesota?

Look.  I loved Jefferson coming out.  But a WR doesn't move the needle much.

About the only argument I could make for trading a second and a first to go get Jefferson is this....WR is a luxury pick.  And with where GB's roster was, maybe luxury was what we should have gone for.  

Tough to tell, but I get the luxury pick for that Packers team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

About the only argument I could make for trading a second and a first to go get Jefferson is this....WR is a luxury pick.  And with where GB's roster was, maybe luxury was what we should have gone for.  

Knowing what I know now I would easily part with some top draft ammo for Justin Jefferson .. he and Adams would be unbelievable.  I actually think he would move the needle for this Packers team .. maybe not so much wins wise, but ease of victory.  Some of these closer games wouldn't be so close.  He'd make our offense truly dynamic.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

34 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Knowing what I know now I would easily part with some top draft ammo for Justin Jefferson .. he and Adams would be unbelievable.  I actually think he would move the needle for this Packers team .. maybe not so much wins wise, but ease of victory.  Some of these closer games wouldn't be so close.  He'd make our offense truly dynamic.

Didn't GB have the highest scoring offense last year without JJ?

Like, you are making my point, JJ would have been a luxury to have for us.  And maybe that would have been worth it.

But he hasn't moved the needle for the Vikings yet, wins wise.

Instead of JJ, we got a QB who may have lit a fire under Rodgers and a RB who is showing to be a lead back in this league.

Maybe it's bird in the hand worth two in the bush, or some other cliche like that.  Like I don't think there is a "wrong" answer of JJ versus Love and Dillon.  Both are good to have.

Edited by vegas492

Just now, vegas492 said:

Didn't GB have the highest scoring offense last year with JJ?

Like, you are making my point, JJ would have been a luxury to have for us.  And maybe that would have been worth it.

But he hasn't moved the needle for the Vikings yet, wins wise.

Instead of JJ, we got a QB who may have lit a fire under Rodgers and a RB who is showing to be a lead back in this league.

Maybe it's bird in the hand worth two in the bush, or some other cliche like that.  Like I don't think there is a "wrong" answer of JJ versus Love and Dillon.  Both are good to have.

I'm glad we have Love, but I guess if I'm the Packers I would be in the market for another #1 level wideout in the draft.  I think with Adams possibly on the way out the Packers need to get themselves covered there, and if Adams returns then maybe you've actually got a truly dynamic WR tandem that can improve Rodgers' or Love's game.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm glad we have Love, but I guess if I'm the Packers I would be in the market for another #1 level wideout in the draft.  I think with Adams possibly on the way out the Packers need to get themselves covered there, and if Adams returns then maybe you've actually got a truly dynamic WR tandem that can improve Rodgers' or Love's game.

I agree with that.  The fear to me is all the expiring contracts in the WR room.  Having a guy like JJ under contract would have made me feel better.  No doubt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with that.  The fear to me is all the expiring contracts in the WR room.  Having a guy like JJ under contract would have made me feel better.  No doubt.

True .. the Packers usually cover their bases during the draft, but look pretty vulnerable if Adams bolts.  I'm guessing the Packers feel that Adams will be here next year either via a new deal or the franchise tag.  

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with most of this. And yes, my position would be, after the 2019 season the Packers were in position to make a "luxury" pick. It's not something you do 5 years in a row or anything. But once in a while, when 97% of your team is there and ready to get to a SB, that's the time to maybe go a little crazy in the draft and package some picks for a guy you really want and see as an instant impact guy. Whether that was Jefferson, Lamb or even a non-WR. Instead, we went the total opposite direction lol and drafted a guy you hope never plays a meaningful down for you for the first 2-3 years, if ever. 

Edited by packfanfb

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I agree with most of this. And yes, my position would be, after the 2019 season the Packers were in position to make a "luxury" pick. It's not something you do 5 years in a row or anything. But once in a while, when 97% of your team is there and ready to get to a SB, that's the time to maybe go a little crazy in the draft and package some picks for a guy you really want and see as an instant impact guy. Whether that was Jefferson, Lamb or even a non-WR. Instead, we went the total opposite direction lol and drafted a guy you hope never plays a meaningful down for you for the first 2-3 years, if ever. 

I get what you are saying, totally.

To me, that argument is not without merit.

But I'll take Love and Dillon over JJ.  

And to me, it isn't even close, even with hindsight.  But I do not begrudge you at all for your opinion.  I do get it.

I would've absolutely been fine with Jefferson as the pick. Why? I was an advocate the entire draft process. The idea that I find absolutely asinine is trading your 2nd to go up and do so. It cost SF their 1st (31), 4th and 5th to go up from 31 to 25. It cost the Chargers their 2nd and 3rd to get back into the 1st round to 23. Not a single team paid anywhere near that price to move up. There's also the very real chance that neither Jacksonville or Philadelphia wanted to move back since they both had massive needs of their own (regardless of whether or not they screwed up their picks lol).

I was openly for trading up for Jefferson pre draft, but a) I wouldn't have given up much more than they did, and b) I didn't think Love would still be on the board.

While it sucks Jefferson is a Viking, I still think Love is going to be good, and I definitely wouldn't want to give up Dillon or Deguara up either. Dillon is a beast and can grind it out and punish defenses, and Deguara is improving and could be a great utility player.

I'm happy with how it turned out.

I still contend that we should've traded back into the 2nd round, taken Chase Claypool, move up in the 3rd if possible or pick up multiple 4ths and 5ths to trade out of the 1st and 3rd. I think we're closer to understanding the error of choosing a boom-or-bust QB in the 1st and trading up for him especially when we upset our HOF MVP QB. It was a personal shot at Aaron and always will be whether we like Jordan Love or not.

I was thinking about this draft the other day and had we kept our 4th at least, we would've had one of the best drafts out there when all was said and done. Take that last part away though and consider what we got out of the draft.

1. AJ Dillon - enough said
2. Jon Runyan - the guy neutralized Aaron Donald and continues to improve. He was one of the more underrated prospects of that draft as well.
3. Josiah Deguara - I'm glad that he's finally getting a legit opportunity to emerge as the player we drafted him to be: an H-Back that can line up at the LOS and run more shorter, intermediate routes and create after the catch while having the ability to do the same coming out of the backfield when necessary.
4. Jonathan Garvin - dude had a 5th round grade and slipped to the 7th now providing reasonable depth at EDGE, what more could you want out of that pick.

Kamal Martin was a disappointment and I can't believe how badly he dropped off after a better-than-expected rookie year. Jake Hanson is still slow to develop as well though I think injuries are holding him back. Speaking of injuries, it was sad to see Stepaniak retire early due to his injuries; dude's tape was solid AF...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe said:

I still contend that we should've traded back into the 2nd round, taken Chase Claypool, move up in the 3rd if possible or pick up multiple 4ths and 5ths to trade out of the 1st and 3rd. I think we're closer to understanding the error of choosing a boom-or-bust QB in the 1st and trading up for him especially when we upset our HOF MVP QB. It was a personal shot at Aaron and always will be whether we like Jordan Love or not.

Rodgers was coming off a couple down seasons where he wasn't living up to his mega deal. You could argue that last year was a blip because he's come back down to earth a bit too. Let Rodgers get upset. If he takes it as a personal shot not smart football business, that itself is part of the problem why you'd want to make that move. 

I see no error here.