Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't mind EQ or MVS, I think they're better than is being described, but Tee Higgins would have been a significant upgrade on Funchess, who probably fits that description you mentioned of WRs that Rodgers doesn't like throwing to. 

I didn't evaluate Higgins as a slot player, nor did I see Clemson use him there. Funchess will be our slot player and if you look at his metrics in Carolina there, he was a massively better player than he was on the outside. If Higgins plays the "big slot" well in the NFL I'll stand corrected then as we definitely could use that, just haven't seen it on film. 

The Packers FO can see what's obvious. Rodgers is on the decline. Still very good, but past his peak. Plus he's a prick.

He's got two years left on his deal where it would be impossible to get rid of him. So they're doing exactly what they did with Favre. Take their next guy early, give him two years to develop *or* show he's a bum so you have a chance to try again before Rodgers leaves.

It worked like a charm with Favre and the team didn't have to rebuild or have years where they were no good without him. It's what smart franchises do. It's what Belichick, smartest man in the league, tried to do, but his owner overruled him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Except it didn't happen two years ago, I just broke it down, no strawman, just facts. It's happened once in 5 years, with a subpar prospect Paxton Lynch, who was viewed as far less a prospect than Love was.

Funchess has elite metrics in the slot, his outside production has not been up to par, but since I actually know the Packers, I know that our HC desires a big body in the slot. Thus they went out, played a little money ball and found a guy that that would be cheap, but excels in the role they want him for. 

If Atlanta had Julio, plus our 2-5 and our RBs, I'm sure Matt Ryan would have a fine year. Drew Brees has been just fine with Michael Thomas and Kamara and then crap for WR's and TE for awhile. They got him some help the last two years with Cook and Sanders, but still no ring. Almost like it's the defense and QB play that determine those things. 

Well yes strawman, as i never said it happens all the time. And Lamar Jackson was drafted at 32, you dont get to say he doesnt count. Drew Lock was drafted at 42, that was just last year but Im sure he doesnt count for some reason either. The #1 overall pick was someone that almost non (if not literally no one) talked about as a first rounder the year before. Even if they think theres only  a couple of "franchise" qbs available next year, guys stock are gonna rise and fall over the year.

Funchess does not separate, you said that would never work with Rodgers.  I dont care that you know the packers, nor should you care who I claim to know.

No one wants their top 5 QB to have a "fine" year and do so much on their own. I dont know what brought Brees into this but that offense is so tailored to his strengths, and they have a #2 option  that dwarfs anyone that GB has. But since you brought up defense, theres obvious holes there as well. Such as... who the heck is going to be their 3rd corner? Alexander is very good but they probably should have tried to upgrade King, or at least bring in competition. 

Edited by GSUeagles14

7 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Well yes strawman, as i never said it happens all the time. And Lamar Jackson was drafted at 32, you dont get to say he doesnt count. Drew Lock was drafted at 42, that was just last year but Im sure he doesnt count for some reason either. The #1 overall pick was someone that almost non (if not literally no one) talked about as a first rounder the year before. Even if they think theres only  a couple of "franchise" qbs available next year, guys stock are gonna rise and fall over the year.

Funchess does not separate, you said that would never work with Rodgers.  I dont care that you know the packers, nor should you care who I claim to know.

No one wants their top 5 QB to have a "fine" year and do so much on their own. I dont know what brought Brees into this but that offense is so tailored to his strengths, and they have a #2 option  that dwarfs anyone that GB has. But since you brought up defense, theres obvious holes there as well. Such as... who the heck is going to be their 3rd corner? Alexander is very good but they probably should have tried to upgrade King, or at least bring in competition. 

If you want to argue with me that we should've taken another premium like Jaylon Johnson, Gladney, Ross Blacklock or Ezra Cleveland I already said I'm not going to fight you on that. I respect that opinion and I share it. It's the WR or bust talk that I think is utterly ridiculous. We took a guy we're going to mold into a franchise QB but we should've overdrafted a WR because our current QB is old and deserves one? That's how you end up with a bad football team and a regime change. Stick to your board and draft premiums in round 1, that's how we do it and it works.

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you want to argue with me that we should've taken another premium like Jaylon Johnson, Gladney, Ross Blacklock or Ezra Cleveland I already said I'm not going to fight you on that. I respect that opinion and I share it. It's the WR or bust talk that I think is utterly ridiculous. We took a guy we're going to mold into a franchise QB but we should've overdrafted a WR because our current QB is old and deserves one? That's how you end up with a bad football team and a regime change. Stick to your board and draft premiums in round 1, that's how we do it and it works.

How are you overdrafting a WR? In that position you can easily draft a Tee Higgins or Denzel Mims who will meet both value and need. 

If anything drafting Love is “overdrafting”

Theres a strong chance he’s still on available in the next round 

31 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

How are you overdrafting a WR? In that position you can easily draft a Tee Higgins or Denzel Mims who will meet both value and need. 

If anything drafting Love is “overdrafting”

Theres a strong chance he’s still on available in the next round 

We didn't rate them as 1st round picks? If there were any abundance of guys rated as first round picks on the board, we don't trade up. Teams don't trade up when their boards have a plethora of equally graded guys on it, teams trade up when there's about to be a big tier drop and they want to secure the last of that tier. 

Use the information the situation gave you. The Packers rated Love as a top 25 player minimum, the Packers did not have a WR left on their board after Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, Jefferson and Aiyuk went that was in that tier. Therefore we took the value on the board and didn't reach for a perceived "need."

I don't care where they ranked on your board as it's not applicable to the real world situation. Love was widely considered a top 20 player, it's not like we traded up for Jalen Hurts in round 1.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We didn't rate them as 1st round picks? If there were any abundance of guys rated as first round picks on the board, we don't trade up. Teams don't trade up when their boards have a plethora of equally graded guys on it, teams trade up when there's about to be a big tier drop and they want to secure the last of that tier. 

Use the information the situation gave you. The Packers rated Love as a top 25 player minimum, the Packers did not have a WR left on their board after Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, Jefferson and Aiyuk went that was in that tier. Therefore we took the value on the board and didn't reach for a perceived "need."

I don't care where they ranked on your board as it's not applicable to the real world situation. Love was widely considered a top 20 player, it's not like we traded up for Jalen Hurts in round 1.

By who lol?

This is going to be another Tommy Maddox and John Elway situation. 

Nobody was going to draft him in the second round.

Rodgers has 4 years left on his deal and he’s still a top 7 QB yet those idiots traded up to draft an unknown QB instead of getting the QB help 

Edited by rocky_rams

19 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Which teams do you think needed to draft him in the 2nd?

Off the top, Patriots, Colts, Tampa, Jacksonville,  Pittsburgh, and Oakland either could use a QB now or don't have long term solutions. Saints maybe too, but I don't know their plan with Hill. Chicago can't like what they've seen from Trubisky. There's plenty of teams needing a QB. 

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

By who lol?

Rodgers has 4 years left on his deal and he’s still a top 7 QB yet those idiots traded up to draft an unknown QB instead of getting the QB help 

Beyond the pundits who really don't matter as they have no decision making power, there were multiple front office execs quoted that had Love rated highly in Bob McGinn's draft piece. I can't remember where I read but one offensive coach was quoted in a piece saying Love was his #1 QB in the draft.

Again, I don't care what your opinion of Love is, I care even less since you think he was going to be a 3rd round pick lol, clearly you don't study the draft.

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

By who lol?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104092/article/jordan-love-creating-buzz-could-move-into-top-10

"Of all the quarterback names here in Indianapolis that have been buzzing the hallways, late-night bars and restaurants, Jordan Love much more so than anyone," Rapoport said. "I've talked to general managers, assistant GMs, coaches, they all wanted to see how this guy threw because his buzz is kind of building. We've all kind of assumed that he's a first-round quarterback. I would not be surprised now, upper-end of the first round, maybe even heading up into the top 10."

I'll just drop this here...

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104092/article/jordan-love-creating-buzz-could-move-into-top-10

"Of all the quarterback names here in Indianapolis that have been buzzing the hallways, late-night bars and restaurants, Jordan Love much more so than anyone," Rapoport said. "I've talked to general managers, assistant GMs, coaches, they all wanted to see how this guy threw because his buzz is kind of building. We've all kind of assumed that he's a first-round quarterback. I would not be surprised now, upper-end of the first round, maybe even heading up into the top 10."

I'll just drop this here...

Well this is embarrassing, this is your post form a day or two ago...

(2) The idea of "value" amongst media projections is generally bad most years, and likely especially bad this year when the media was even more shut-out from picking up on how teams/scouts were thinking due to events and in-person gatherings being cancelled due to COVID. There were folks saying things like "This is the most off the media has ever been on projecting players", etc.

So what youre saying is the media is wrong until it lines up with your view point. Yeesh..... 

• Like 1