Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

On 5/1/2020 at 2:26 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Most of those teams wouldn't have picked him based on Packer fans own logic - that is that if you think you have your franchise QB you draft him. Not drafting him is a fireable offense.

Patriots clearly didn't want him, and even traded out instead of drafting him. Most of those teams listed had a chance and didn't. If they thought he was a franchise QB you bet they would have picked him when they had a chance in the first.

As per Cwood21 - "passing on a franchise QB is inexcusable.  If you think you have a shot to draft one and you pass, you deserve to get fired on the spot."

And that's fine.  23 teams passed on Aaron Rodgers.  How many of those GMs had to answer to their boss about why they passed on Aaron Rodgers?  23.  This is confirmation bias at best.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In that same Atlanta game, the score was 31-0 before Green Bay scored their first points.

And the week before the 2016 NFCC slaughter in Atlanta, Rodgers threw for 355 yard and the offense put up 34 points in Dallas.

Meanwhile, the vaunted Pack D held the Cowboys to 31 points.

Oh, and for the record, the here are the Packers last 10 first round/top picks:

2012 Nick Perry OLB

2013 Datone Jones DE

2014 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

2015 Damarious Randall Safety (well in GB he was forced to play CB)

2016 Kenny Clark DT

2017 Kevin King CB (traded out of the first, King the first pick of the second round)

2018 Jaire Alexander CB

2019 Rashan Gary OLB & Darnell Savage Safety

2020 Jordan Love QB

So, the Packers drafted defensive players nine consecutive times with their top pick until nine days ago when they drafted a QB.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's fine.  23 teams passed on Aaron Rodgers.  How many of those GMs had to answer to their boss about why they passed on Aaron Rodgers?  23.  This is confirmation bias at best.

The point is that it's doubtful the teams listed were going for Love. This has nothing to do with passing on Rodgers and retrospectively admitting a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The point is that it's doubtful the teams listed were going for Love. This has nothing to do with passing on Rodgers and retrospectively admitting a mistake. 

Your logic was that 25 other picks were made, and none of them were Jordan Love as logic as to why Love was a bad pick.  You could make the same argument about Rodgers all those years ago.  Instead, you're doubling down on parroting what a few talking heads have said.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your logic was that 25 other picks were made, and none of them were Jordan Love as logic as to why Love was a bad pick.  You could make the same argument about Rodgers all those years ago.  Instead, you're doubling down on parroting what a few talking heads have said.

No, it wasn't.

I said most of the teams listed (which included Pats, Raiders and 3 or 4 others) weren't ever picking Love. I never once mentioned '25 other picks'. 

And my logic as to why Love was a bad pick is the same as most others - that GB are right there, and a first round pick to help the current team right now might just be a difference maker. 

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

No, it wasn't.

I said most of the teams listed (which included Pats, Raiders and 3 or 4 others) weren't ever picking Love. I never once mentioned '25 other picks'. 

And my logic as to why Love was a bad pick is the same as most others - that GB are right there, and a first round pick to help the current team right now might just be a difference maker. 

Player A: 364-573, 63.5%, 4653 passing yards, 8.2 AY/A, 36 passing TD, 16 INT, 147.2 Passer Rating
Player B: 267-417, 64.0%, 3567 passing yards, 9.4 AY/A, 32 passing TD, 7 INT, 157.8 Passer Rating

Care to guess who those are?  I'll give you a hint Player B is Jordan Love.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Player A: 364-573, 63.5%, 4653 passing yards, 8.2 AY/A, 36 passing TD, 16 INT, 147.2 Passer Rating
Player B: 267-417, 64.0%, 3567 passing yards, 9.4 AY/A, 32 passing TD, 7 INT, 157.8 Passer Rating

Care to guess who those are?  I'll give you a hint Player B is Jordan Love.

Once again, missed the point. 

I haven't said he's a bad player. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Conversations are unnecessary.  I don't even need to hear the guy talk.  Just the look on his face before games start makes it obvious.

You should work at CIA Black Ops sites with that ability. 

41 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

And the week before the 2016 NFCC slaughter in Atlanta, Rodgers threw for 355 yard and the offense put up 34 points in Dallas.

Meanwhile, the vaunted Pack D held the Cowboys to 31 points.

Oh, and for the record, the here are the Packers last 10 first round/top picks:

2012 Nick Perry OLB

2013 Datone Jones DE

2014 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

2015 Damarious Randall Safety (well in GB he was forced to play CB)

2016 Kenny Clark DT

2017 Kevin King CB (traded out of the first, King the first pick of the second round)

2018 Jaire Alexander CB

2019 Rashan Gary OLB & Darnell Savage Safety

2020 Jordan Love QB

So, the Packers drafted defensive players nine consecutive times with their top pick until nine days ago when they drafted a QB.

How does this in anyway counter the point that Rodgers has been plenty bad in his playoff losses and blaming the defense is wrong?

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

But you can’t really say he’s not either by that logic then. For being perceived as a ******, you would think he would make more of an effort to not appear to be one. 

I think he probably is. 

Anything is possible but how anyone can believe they know a person they’ve never shared a single word with is ridiculous. It’s just ppl projecting what they want to believe.  And imagine worrying about what ppl who don’t know you at all think about you. Sounds awful. 

53 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When Aaron Rodgers was drafted people couldn't believe he was falling that far. When Jordan Love was drafted people were like wtf the Packers traded up to get this guy? Now that may be a bit of an oversimplification but the point still stands. How these players got drafted as late first rounders is significantly different.

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Once again, missed the point. 

I haven't said he's a bad player. 

Player A is Patrick Mahomes during his sophomore year.  Player B is Jordan Love during his sophomore year.  The only reason why people are lambasting the pick is because Jordan Love is coming off a disappointing year, but that lacks context.  5 of the 6 players with the most amount of receptions in 2018 were not part of the 2019 roster.  Their starting RB, Darwin Thompson, was drafted in the 6th round.  And 4 of their 5 starting OL from 2018 graduated.  Oh, and their HC was hired by Texas Tech.  But of course, context doesn't matter.  You go and watch the actual tape, and you'll see him getting virtually no help from his receivers.

1 minute ago, Pool said:

When Aaron Rodgers was drafted people couldn't believe he was falling that far. When Jordan Love was drafted people were like wtf the Packers traded up to get this guy? Now that may be a bit of an oversimplification but the point still stands. How these players got drafted as late first rounders is significantly different.

The argument being made by @Hunter2_1 was that a number of teams passed on picking Jordan Love as some sort of evidence that Love wasn't good.  I argued that 23 teams passed on Rodgers, so by that same sort of logic Rodgers wasn't very good.  LIS, people are parroting what a few talking heads are saying.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure if the logic fallacy here is a strawman, anecdotal evidence or both.

Great players get passed up on all the time. The draft is no sure thing.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Player A is Patrick Mahomes during his sophomore year.  Player B is Jordan Love during his sophomore year.  The only reason why people are lambasting the pick is because Jordan Love is coming off a disappointing year, but that lacks context.  5 of the 6 players with the most amount of receptions in 2018 were not part of the 2019 roster.  Their starting RB, Darwin Thompson, was drafted in the 6th round.  And 4 of their 5 starting OL from 2018 graduated.  Oh, and their HC was hired by Texas Tech.  But of course, context doesn't matter.  You go and watch the actual tape, and you'll see him getting virtually no help from his receivers.

Sounds like he doesn't elevate the players around him. Not a good sign for the "franchise" QB.

I watched his games from this year. 5 in total. It was not impressive overall, but there are moments where he looks very good. He's a raw player who needs to be placed in a good situation to succeed. I don't think a team whose identity is running the ball will help that much.

Edited by SteelKing728