Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

That's not what my statement means. I'm not saying any one of us, individually, would do better at drafting over the course of a decade. What it means is, SOMETIMES, some people on here are right about specific picks, when compared to what the FO went with.

And that makes it worth discussing and debating. On, y'know, an effing message board.

No one has said otherwise. Just pointing out the burden of proof is certainly not levied on the experts (Packers' brass).

28 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The big difference from fans' perspective is that Rodgers was perceived as good value where they got him since he was falling. Love was taken right at his range. 

I do agree it is similar but that's a pretty important distinction. 

Others have made similar points, but just want to reiterate:

(1) Many other smart people had Love pegged as a top 10-15 pick

(2) The idea of "value" amongst media projections is generally bad most years, and likely especially bad this year when the media was even more shut-out from picking up on how teams/scouts were thinking due to events and in-person gatherings being cancelled due to COVID. There were folks saying things like "This is the most off the media has ever been on projecting players", etc.

Additionally, Love (like Rodgers) needs time to sit and develop but has all the god-given tools. He is probably the most gifted QB in this class and an ideal prospect (based on tools and age) if you're looking for a guy to groom for a couple years minimum. Most teams at the top of the draft need someone more ready. This factors into the projected "value" of a player. GB wasn't looking for the best QB in 2020 or 2021. They were looking for the best QB in 2022 and beyond. If you pinged NFL teams on that question - where does Love rank in this class? Top 5 pick?

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Others have made similar points, but just want to reiterate:

(1) Many other smart people had Love pegged as a top 10-15 pick

You could bet him on draft day to go under 19.5 at +200. Smart money was not top 15 or top 20 for that matter. I know because I lost money on him falling. So this isn't true. No need to reiterate lies. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

You could bet him on draft day to go under 19.5 at +200. Smart money was not top 15 or top 20 for that matter. I know because I lost money on him falling. So this isn't true. No need to reiterate lies. 

lol @ using a vegas line.

I just pointed out how the media (which controls the info that is consumed by bettors) was likely even more wrong this year than normal. It is true. I've seen those smart people say it themselves. Greg Cosell, Jordan Palmer, Nagy off the top of my head. Also, this:

"Of all the quarterback names here in Indianapolis that have been buzzing the hallways, late-night bars and restaurants, Jordan Love much more so than anyone," Rapoport said. "I've talked to general managers, assistant GMs, coaches, they all wanted to see how this guy threw because his buzz is kind of building. We've all kind of assumed that he's a first-round quarterback. I would not be surprised now, upper-end of the first round, maybe even heading up into the top 10."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104092/article/jordan-love-creating-buzz-could-move-into-top-10

A simple google search will lead you to other indications of this. He wasn't talked about as a high draft pick for months, which is why Joe Fan thinks he wasn't a value pick. It's fine. It doesn't matter. But it's also wrong.

If Rodgers has a problem with the Packers drafting Love, it goes to show how much of a crybaby he is and how much he needs to grow up. Packers should do right in punishment by trading him away to a far off team that is completely isolated and off the map honestly. Say New England?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

If Rodgers has a problem with the Packers drafting Love, it goes to show how much of a crybaby he is and how much he needs to grow up. Packers should do right in punishment by trading him away to a far off team that is completely isolated and off the map honestly. Say New England?

Man. That would be something to pair Belichick with the GOAT. Give him #12 there too. I would if I was BB.

I'd love it if Rodgers went to NE in 2-3 years ha

9 hours ago, Pugger said:
On 4/26/2020 at 8:32 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Since I obviously can't throw any stones from my glass house 😎. Pushing the Love pick aside.  How do you as an Organization  not take a single WR in what was suggested by many experts as  one of the Deepest WR classes in decades? Devin Funchess , really?

I'm sorry but that is absolutely inexcusable IMO. 

What WR that was still available would you grade as a first round value at #30?

Think you misinterpreted my post. It wasn't about taking Love in the 1st (like the Eagles with Hurts in the 2nd). Its the fact the Packers at no point for the rest of the draft took any of the 29 WR's taken from that point forward. 

Surely someone was worth adding at some point in the next 200 picks? That's all.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Man. That would be something to pair Belichick with the GOAT. Give him #12 there too. I would if I was BB.

I'd love it if Rodgers went to NE in 2-3 years ha

I'd poop myself. I would actively root for the Patriots above all other teams besides Packers.

3 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

If Rodgers has a problem with the Packers drafting Love, it goes to show how much of a crybaby he is and how much he needs to grow up

He's not though, that's just a bunch of boneheads projecting their thoughts onto Rodgers, including Favre who acted like a jilted 13 year old when AR was drafted
Favre went ballistic, screamed at his agent, threatened retirement, stomped his feet and was a total ***** when that draft went down.
Now he's on TV saying Aaron has every right to be pissed just like he was back in 06. He's the crybaby you're referring to above

Aaron knows exactly what its like to be in Love's shoes and he won't put him through the same bs that Favre did.

• Like 2

LaFleur's job is not too kiss Rodger's butt. Its to win a Super Bowl.

• Aaron Rodgers had a 100+ rating in 4 of his first 5 playoff games.
  • He's had a 100+ rating in 4 of the last 13 playoff games (none of the 7 losses)

This coach has to break past Rodgers mental limitations and ego to make him a better leader and player when it counts the most. If drafting his replacement does this then they are all winners. If establishing more of a run game like Shanahan did for Denver works then the team benefits. If Rodgers reacts poorly then he can make 30 million a year somewhere else and Green Bay has not really lost anything..

Packers fans can correct me if they think getting their butts kicked in NFCCGs is the ultimate goal.

Rodgers in 4 NFCCGs  :  94-148  1035 yards 6 TDs 7 picks 78.0 rating

His ratings in those 4 games are

• Raji scored a TD in a 21-14 win
    • He could not find the end zone early which left the Seahawks a chance in that awful mojo game
    • He got some bad breaks but the score was 37-7 with 4 minutes left in the 3rd before garbage time stats
    • 34-7 with 5 minutes left in the 4th before garbage time stats

6 TDs vs 7 picks in NFCCGs is not what you would expect from someone who is obviously top 10 all-time at his position. (probably top 5)

He is a 34 to 5 TD / INT guy in his other playoff games.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Other than Kansas City, what team wouldn't trade QB situations with GB right now?

Many teams actually.

Baltimore, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta - all have comparable or better QBs who are younger than Rodgers.

Philly - Wentz is not as good as Rodgers,  but he’s 9 years younger.

Even a team like Arizona. I’d rather have Kyler Murray for 15 years than Rodgers for 2 + completely unproven Love.