Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. There are smart people running the team that know more about it than me (and you, obviously). Smart people do sensible things, like they did here. My ego isn't large enough to pretend I know better than GBs front office.

This argument can hypothetically be used against any criticism of any FO of a team in any sport. Why have message boards and forums where fans discuss and critique decisions made by sports franchises when it’s “obvious” that fans don’t know more than the people calling the shots.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Murphy has been the president for 14 years. Smart people hire other smart people. 

Gutekunst has been in GB since 1998 and moved up from junior scout to SEC scout, to director of scouting to director of player personnel
He did so well in his roles that he eventually became the GM. Had he sucked at his job or made lousy picks, he'd be gone
Instead, he's the GM and that's why all that history is relevant - it reflects his both training and his contributions to the team.
He bet his career on those moves, we'll see if he was right. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

This argument can hypothetically be used against any criticism of any FO of a team in any sport. Why have message boards and forums where fans discuss and critique decisions made by sports franchises when it’s “obvious” that fans don’t know more than the people calling the shots.

Because it's very easy to try to understand and discuss what did happen and why. That's why I'm here anyway. And I know it's the same for the best posters on our forum. It's fun to see how we all might do evaluating things, but it's silly to think you might be better than those that do this for a living...

We're all just somewhat informed amateurs (at best) here.

Hahaha! This thread's a trip.

During last season, the Packers were everybody's punching bag whenever the issue of which team is the most overrated, biggest paper tiger, which team isn't as good as their record, etc. Now they're stupid to not try to go all in this year since "they were only one win away from the Super Bowl last year!". Precious.

Along with that, I see a lot of people rushing to poor Aaron's defense saying it's unconscionable to continue to neglect surrounding him with young talent. Yet over the course of the last couple of seasons, 99% of the Rodgers-related commentary outside of the Packer forum is: He's a dbag, he's declining, he's overrated now, he's annoying. I don't get it.

Which brings up something that I've noticed for a little while, but has REALLY hit over the past week: When did everybody start to HATE Aaron Rodgers? It seemed like up until maybe 2015, he was generally well-liked. But over the past few years the tide has shifted dramatically. The overwhelming, no-debate consensus from sports talk people, people I talk to in real life, and posters on FF, that he is a ******, a prick, an ego-maniac, etc.

So...what happened? Personally, I don't know whether he is or isn't. I'd say even from the beginning, from my perspective, he's had a tinge of..."confidence", smugness, self-satisfaction, that made him a little entertaining at least. But has there been some major bombshell that I'm not aware of in the past few years that made the general public do a complete 180?

• Like 1

He's not a douchebag, or at least not more than your average QB. When you have someone who's been dominating for years, people will start attacking him the moment he's no longer elite. It would have happened with Brady as well if not for Bill's mastery.

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

He's not a douchebag, or at least not more than your average QB. When you have someone who's been dominating for years, people will start attacking him the moment he's no longer elite. It would have happened with Brady as well if not for Bill's mastery.

Cowherd likes to bring up that even his family don't like him. Also rumours of a few players that don't/didn't like him, like Jennings. I have no idea about all that, but smoke and fire and all that.

It's not something you tend to hear about TB though, the family man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Cowherd likes to bring up that even his family don't like him. Also rumours of a few players that don't/didn't like him, like Jennings. I have no idea about all that, but smoke and fire and all that.

Take it with a grain of salt, but from what I read, Rodgers' problems with his family come from siding with his brother's ex (a friend of his) when the brother cheated on her. I mean, I wouldn't hold that against him. Then you have Jennings and Finley as the only two teammates that talk bad about him in public, while many of the rest talk wonders about him. So I'd say that it doesn't seem as douchy as some wanna make it look like.

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. There are smart people running the team that know more about it than me (and you, obviously). Smart people do sensible things, like they did here. My ego isn't large enough to pretend I know better than GBs front office.

I hope they get lifetime contracts.

All joking aside, I do think GB is building a true identity. I'm just skeptical of it actually working out in their favor.

Edited by SteelKing728

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How can you not love the greatest player ever?

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The falling out with the family is definitely weird, and that could be on Aaron, but I also allow for the possibility that maybe his family are a bunch of money/fame-grubbing a-holes. I dunno.

To his credit, TB has certainly engendered a FIERCE sense of loyalty from some of his receivers over the years. The only things that have come up are the way he dealt with Garoppolo (I'm assuming not EVERYTHING reported is true to the letter, but that some of it is), and some recent reports that were critical of his handling of young/inexperienced receivers in recent years.

On 4/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Elky said:

Most Packers fans have heard from their fathers and grandfathers about the era between Bart Starr and Brett Favre that they refer to as the "Dark Ages". When a once mighty and proud football empire crumbled and became the biggest laughingstock in the league.

That is what will happen to this franchise when Rodgers leaves.

From what I remember looking into, the Packers organization at that time was a complete failure. It wasn't because they didn't have a quarterback really. Their problems were beyond that. Lynn Dickey was not put in a good situation during his stint with the Packers. But he still put up some numbers with Lofton. It would be difficult to be as horribly run as the Packers, and a lot of other ball clubs were at the time for years and years. Things didn't change until Ron Wolf and Holmgren came along in 1991 and 1992. Since then they've been a stable franchise. Yes having two HOF quarterbacks helps. 

That being said, I don't think taking Love was a good move. 

Edited by PapaShogun