Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

On 4/23/2020 at 9:38 PM, Elky said:

When a once mighty and proud football empire crumbled and became the biggest laughingstock in the league.

We were pretty bad when I was a kid in the 80’s but we were still way better than the Buccaneers. 

22 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

They could've moved up for one. I'd rather had Hamler, Mims, Pittman, etc over the picks you guys made in the 2nd and 3rd.

According to Peter King, the Packers tried to.  They apparently had 2 WRs who they tried to move up for.  Logically speaking, that would mean it'd have to be two of Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Laviska Shenault, KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, Van Jefferson, or Denzel Mims.  The Packers 2nd and 3rd round picks would be 408 points, which is 49th/50th overall pick.  I think it's unlikely to have been Denzel Mims or Van Jefferson, since they would have had the value to make the move up.  I think Chase Claypool was one of the WRs, my guess is Pittman was the other one.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:29 PM, incognito_man said:

If you view Rodgers' last contract as a mistake (it is), surrounding an aging, declining QB with weapons he isn't very good at using recently is just doubling down on the mistake. Instead, the FO and coaching staff has realized the best way to build a better offense is by turning to the SF approach. Drafting a rookie WR would do nothing to improve this offense in the short-term. Drafting to supplement the running game to take pressure off Rodgers will.

It's preferable to overpay a QB and make his life easier than it is to overpay a QB and make his life harder. It sucks we can't focus resources elsewhere and rely on Rodgers to be a magician, but it's just not reality at this point. Rodgers' contract is a sunk cost and doubling-down on him is an exercise in futility at this point. FO clearly had a come-to-jesus realization of this and are building a run-first offense. Coincidentally, Rodgers will likely look better than he has recently leaning on his OL and re-vamped running game.

Jordan Love fits in because GB plays the long-game with the QB position and there were no WRs available at that point that would have moved the needle over Rodgers remaining viable career. GB already added two WRs to their roster from 2019 before the draft (Funchess and St Brown) to give them flexibility. A potential QB for the next 10-15 years is the fruit of that setting themselves up for that flexibility. This move paid off last time. Love has all the non-teachable traits you could ever want in a franchise QB and the staff voted to trust their coaches to develop him.

Makes total sense when you look at the whole picture. Time will tell if it pays off!

Pretty sure they could have done pretty much anything and you would said it makes sense and justified it somehow.

They are a 13-3 team who should be trying to win now and they traded up for a 1st round pick who won't help them at all for 2 seasons minimum, used their 2nd round pick on a backup at the least valuable position on the field, and then took a glorified fullback in the 3rd round.  Their draft was an absolute disaster

Edited by fortdetroit

37 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

Pretty sure they could have done pretty much anything and you would said it makes sense and justified it somehow

Yes. There are smart people running the team that know more about it than me (and you, obviously). Smart people do sensible things, like they did here. My ego isn't large enough to pretend I know better than GBs front office.

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There are smart people running the team

Here's the AV leaders in the Draft since 2000

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU26vPPXgAAuWNH?format=jpg&name=small

AV is the metric used by Pro Football Reference to put a value on each player each year. Based on that metric, the Packers have exceeded all of their peers over the last 20 years. We'll see how they did in 2020, but at the very least they've earned the benefit of the doubt.
Obviously not in here... but in the real world.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

AV is the metric used by Pro Football Reference to put a value on each player each year. Based on that metric, the Packers have exceeded all of their peers over the last 20 years. We'll see how they did in 2020, but at the very least they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Hasn’t there been a regime change? Who cares what the Packers did five years ago or ten years ago in the draft. Ted Thompson is no longer there. 

59 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. There are smart people running the team that know more about it than me (and you, obviously). Smart people do sensible things, like they did here. My ego isn't large enough to pretend I know better than GBs front office.

Maybe you’re just not jaded enough because you’re a fan of a stable franchise, but I assure you I know more than some of the goobers who’ve run the Browns.

Half of this board does too.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe you’re just not jaded enough because you’re a fan of a stable franchise, but I assure you I know more than some of the goobers who’ve run the Browns.

Half of this board does too.

Yep, my post was specific to GB. There are many other very well run orgs too that this applies to, but there are others that have.... questionable leadership ha

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

no, they havent. As its already been pointed out, theres been a regime change and EVEN THEN this is far too long  a sample. Strategies can work for 5 years, and then grow old, you have to readjust or youll be out the door which is almost literally what happened to TT.  

Additionally, even smart people do occasionally dumb things, no one is perfect. This is a different scenario then they draft x player at WR but I like Y player so they wer wrong. Then I agree criticizing those picks are silly. Are having two clear needs and the team going with one you personally think is less important. Again, the team knows more and has more resources so nitpicking is silly. However this isnt that. This is a team whose in contention having their FO draft a guy they really, really hope wont have to play for at least two years. and what if Rodgers maintains his current level of play over those two years, or has a slight tick up. Are they going top get rid of a top 5 QB at that point? How will Love react to having little or no real game time for possibly two years?

Theres no reason GB couldnt have waited a couple years to draft a guy for rthe future. Instead they wasted an opportunity to improve the team currently.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:13 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

That's what I'm thinking. Brady DID kick back on the season we drafted Jimmy.

And Jimmy turned out to be the worlds most mediocre QB that somehow got 137 million because people overthought it.

If Im Rodgers I am marching into the owners office (keeping 6ft. distance) and going off. The Packers have spend the majority of the past 7 years actively working against their HOF QB despite the numerous times he has spoken about with getting more talent on offense. Him and that offense have been horrendously mismanaged for more than long enough.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1