Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

17 hours ago, Elky said:

I could be wrong for all I know since the draft is a crapshoot, but spending all those resources for a a guy as questionable as Love is incredibly risky.

...all what resources? We sent them a pick at the bottom of the 4th round to move up 4 spots.

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Somewhere Brett Favre's smiling and saying, "ain't karma a ..... Aaron"? The fact Rodgers has been put in the same exact scenario as Brett only ARod is actually  a year older ,is beyond ironic. 🍺

Every football player gets replaced. It's only true karma if Aaron handles it like a petulant child. Which he very well might, we'll see.

Wait, also, how is it karma?? That would mean that somehow Aaron did something wrong by entering the NFL draft and being drafted.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MossyMoss said:

Didn't Rodgers say he wants to play till 40? 

Head scratcher for me, since they were one game away from the super bowl last year, I would have thought building on that instead of finding a heir apparent for Rodgers would be top priority. 

Meh. The arrow on this team has been pointing down on this team for a couple years, and last year's team wasn't nearly as good as their record/final standing would indicate.

I have no idea if Jordan Love will be good. This whole thing might be a supernova of a disaster, we'll see. However, I give the FO credit for maybe trying to get ahead of things instead of holding on to the bitter end when they're the last ones left to realize the window is closed. They saw their guy and went up to make sure they got him, while not sacrificing any massive assets.

Again, I know next to nothing about Jordan Love. Given the nature of the position, chances are he won't be all that great. This thing may well fully end up in a messy disaster. But it'll be entertaining either way.

I hope LaFleur and Guntekunst get fired for this blunder of a pick. Instead of getting offensive firepower for a team who reached the NFC championship they draft a QB in round 1. 

I understand Rodgers has an ego but the guy has been playing with mostly subpar talent his entire career on offense. 

Rodgers should be insulted and should demand a trade.

In fact, he should demand a trade to the Rams since he lives in SoCal LOL

Edited by rocky_rams

13 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I understand Rodgers has an ego but the guy has been playing with mostly subpar talent his entire career on offense. 

Well that's not accurate in the least. The last few years, maybe. Half decade maybe, but even then the offense hasn't been a bigger problem than the defense.

The Rodgers era in GB ultimately falling short of what it potentially could have been is ultimately due to a lack of an adequate defense.

• Like 1

Here's the deal.

The Packers weren't a 13-3 caliber team last year. Their point differential of +63 was in line with a 10-6 team. That doesn't take into account that they were maybe the healthiest team in the league last year. The reason they made the NFC Championship game was they got lucky as **** and played the only team in the last decade who may have gotten luckier in the Seahawks who were a very mediocre +7 on the season. 

One of the biggest reasons their overall differential wasn't that great, was that they had an entirely average offense. 23.5 points per game was 15th in the league last year. The defense was better than the offense. They were 9th in points allowed per game. 

Everybody is going to ride the defense for the 49ers game, but that's a lazy narrative. The Packers offense had 14 first half drives against the 49ers this year. They scored 0 points and Rodgers committed three turnovers. The offense was worse than the defense when those games were competitive. 

Rodgers fell off hard this year. The WR talent had something to do with it, but the rest of it was Rodgers just being lousy. His bad throw % per PFR was like 23rd in the league. His deep ball accuracy was horrendous, I think it was 22nd in the league. 

Even worse, his performance fell off hard at the end of the year. Aaron Rodgers passer rating the second half of the season was bottom 5 in the league. He had a per 16 game line of: 336/572 3356 yards 20TDs/4 INTs. The TD/INT ratio is great, but 160 yards, 1.25 TDs per game is horrendous. That's a passer rating of 84.2. That's hideous. It's bottom 5 in the NFL

Some might chalk it up to the lack of receiving talent, but what doesn't track is that Rodgers was playing his best games when Davante Adams was out.

In the 12 games Adams played, we averaged 20.5 ppg. In the 4 games Adams didn't play, we averaged 32.5 ppg.

Rodgers in 12 games with Adams: 259/432 2747 16TD/3INT

Rodgers in 4 games without Adams: 94/137 1255 10TD/1INT

At his current level of play, Aaron Rodgers is a toxic asset at 40 million dollars per year, which is what he will be making in 2022. Trading Rodgers before 2022 saves you 22 million in cap space and also probably secures you a decent return because his contract going to the other team will only be 2/25per with no guaranteed money left. 

If we have a season this year, that means Love sits behind Rodgers for two years. If we don't have a season, Love sits behind Rodgers for one year. 

I get the hate if you think that the Packers should have gone all in, that is a reasonable take. But that's not what the Packers do. Never have and never will.  

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

As a Packers fan, the only solace in this would be to see Pats fans do absolute mental gymnastics to flip their script and argue that Rodgers is actually good, now that he plays for the Patriots. 

If there are Patriot fans in this forum that ever claimed Rodgers wasn't good, I can honestly say I've never seen them. Only thing I've ever heard, and for good reason, is that Brady was better than Rodgers.

2 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:
2 hours ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

As a Packers fan, the only solace in this would be to see Pats fans do absolute mental gymnastics to flip their script and argue that Rodgers is actually good, now that he plays for the Patriots. 

If there are Patriot fans in this forum that ever claimed Rodgers wasn't good, I can honestly say I've never seen them. Only thing I've ever heard, and for good reason, is that Brady was better than Rodgers.

With the dozens (actually probably hundreds) of Pats fans I've talked to and listened to here (where I live, not FF), it isn't simply their insistence that Brady is better than Rodgers. That's fine, Brady's the GOAT, we get it. It's their absolute steadfast belief that not only is Brady the greatest of all time, but that he is the best at EVERYTHING that goes into being a quarterback, and that the distance between him and every other QB to ever play is like, lightyears.

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This looks like a post I read exactly about the Packers selecting ARod in 2005. And who would of traded up for Love? Try the Colts at 34 who met with Love a ton of times. 

The Bears. 

There were reports of them discussing a trade with the Seahawks. Who drafted one slot below where the Packers got Love.

Gutekunst not only got a guy who potentially solidifies his franchise for years to come, but he may also have crippled a divisional rival. 

18 hours ago, m haynes said:

Take Love out of the equation. Why would you do this when you have Rogers who is only 35 years old. He good for at least another 5 years. That what, 30 year old in today game. He doesn't get touched. Now you have a QB that his only thought is you betrayed him and with a major contract. You also passed up weapons to help him. So its now looks like you gave up a chance at a SB for the next 2 years.  I don't understand taking a gamble on a QB that you have no idea he can make a jump to the next level while you gave up on one of the best.  Rodgers trade value  is now zero. Every team know you have to get rid of him. They will get pennies on the dollar.

1. 36 and turns 37 this season. He'll be going into his age 40 season when we can viably move on from him.

2. Yeah, GB didn't give up on him. They planned for the future. Aaron Rodgers was prepared for it, they talked to him beforehand. You don't make a move like that without notifying your QB it's possible before the draft kicks off.

3. What? How does taking Love make Rodgers have 0 trade value?

4. We don't HAVE to do anything. The Packers can ride him out until 2022 and be just fine. 

5. They'd get pennies on the dollar because no team is going to sacrifice draft capital for a 40 year old QB (when the Packers can actually trade him due to his current contract)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Agreed. 80% of this thread has been awful takes. 

Funny how just three months ago the narrative was "Green Bay is the worst 13-3 team ever. Worst team to make the championship game ever." Now the narrative is were a player or two away from repeating and pushing for the Super Bowl. People need to pick a lane.

GB doesn't have any glaring holes. Nothing wrong taking what they felt was BPA and the last talent left in their tier. Love makes 0 impact on the field this year, but I struggle to see what player available to us last night was going to have some huge impact; the board wasn't great. They'll add a weapon today for Rodgers and he'll be happy. 

I'm not enamored with the pick, but its not hard to see the tools Love has. Lafluer thinks he can coach the decision making and footwork up, let him try. He's only mentored and helped coach up RG3, Matt Ryan, and Jared Goff. Think he knows what he's looking at, and if Love is who he wants to hitch his wagon to, I'll trust it

Eh ?

Receiver has been criminally neglected. The DL was abused in the Championship games and you can add OT to the list of positions that need to be addressed. That's three glaring needs. Corner is becoming a sneaky need as well so that's 4 positions we needed to address in the first 2 days.

I can live with blowing the 1st rounder. Any receiver may have bust anyway. But we then drafted a running back to back-up our best offensive player and a Vitale replacement. With no 4th rounder now,  its actually quite impressive to miss all of your needs in the first 4 rounds.

Disclaimer ...  you must evaluate a draft after 4 years. Any grades now are laughable. These guys could take us to the superbowl in 2022, we don't know. 

But I think with Covid-19, there was a lot of anticipation and we needed a boost. Its fair to say that so far the knee jerk reaction is that the draft has been an unmitigated disaster so far. 

Not really sure who will be happy with this. Rodgers obviously gets a kick in the teeth. The defence has got no help at all. MLF surely can't like it. Its basically a pure rebuild draft but that doesn't really make sense when you reach the Championship game and have a very highly paid QB at the end of his career. I just don't see what the plan was. Maybe the board just fell really badly and Gute didn't know what to do.