Pick #100 is in: LB, Tanner Muse, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

On 5/1/2020 at 11:12 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I’m sure but any “highlight” of a player running down someone does zero for me.... why didn’t he make the play originally?  If he read the play right and didn’t get sucked in by the weak misdirection he’s tackling Dobbins a few yard after The first down sticks not 55+ yards later.

i do give him hustle props tho for sticking with it.

I would have been more fine with him as Day 3 pick because in the 3rd Troy Dye, and Taylor were still on the board If we wanted a linebacker. I do like plus athletes, but he seems like a project. Would have been fine with picking him in the 5th,  or would understand the 4th. Who knows, maybe he surprises like Crosby. 

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would have been more fine with him as Day 3 pick because in the 3rd Troy Dye, and Taylor were still on the board If we wanted a linebacker. I do like plus athletes, but he seems like a project. Would have been fine with picking him in the 5th,  or would understand the 4th. Who knows, maybe he surprises like Crosby. 

I do think it was a mild reach, mid 4th is about his spot... but I think Muse is a slight better prospect than Taylor.  And he’s in the same tier as Troy Dye.  Dye doesn’t strike me as a high upside prospect, a lesser version of Keke Alonso.

15 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I do think it was a mild reach, mid 4th is about his spot... but I think Muse is a slight better prospect than Taylor.  And he’s in the same tier as Troy Dye.  Dye doesn’t strike me as a high upside prospect, a lesser version of Keke Alonso.

Meh. I think Taylor is a more fluid athlete and has a higher upside as a LB. Troy Dye is more of a pure linebacker so he'll probably impact the game more early in his career. Muse has great testing numbers but he didn't play that fast or explosive at Clemson and he looks so stiff in his movements. 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. I think Taylor is a more fluid athlete and has a higher upside as a LB. Troy Dye is more of a pure linebacker so he'll probably impact the game more early in his career. Muse has great testing numbers but he didn't play that fast or explosive at Clemson and he looks so stiff in his movements. 

He also was playing safety though, which demands a ton more in coverage than LB. Considering how much he got his hands on the ball, there is more potential for muse as a future LB.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Calling Taylor a LB (at Colorado) is missleading, he didn’t play like a traditional LB.  i didn’t think much of him as a prospect.

Dye will IMO be a decent WILL for a few years and never amount to anything great but certainly be steady.  I’d have chosen him Over Muse but I do think Muse’s ST ability is incredibly high... I’d have liked the pick if that’s who we wanted and we traded down again, into the 4th and gotten another 4th or 5th.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He also was playing safety though, which demands a ton more in coverage than LB. Considering how much he got his hands on the ball, there is more potential for muse as a future LB.

Plus he’s from Clemson and that’s like 60% of who we draft from lol.

I like the pick as he is an athletic, very smart player with upside.  He will start out as a ST player while learning the LB position. 

Morrow is nothing special so I can see Muse taking some significant snaps at WLB as the season wears on.  I assume that is the plan when we drafted him.  Thoughts?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I like the pick as he is an athletic, very smart player with upside.  He will start out as a ST player while learning the LB position. 

Morrow is nothing special so I can see Muse taking some significant snaps at WLB as the season wears on.  I assume that is the plan when we drafted him.  Thoughts?

I think Littleton and Kwit will be the only LBs seeing significant snaps.

32 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I think Littleton and Kwit will be the only LBs seeing significant snaps.

You are right and that is a good point!

The 3rd LB will only play 20-25% of the snaps.

Our NCB will play a lot lot more.

15 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I actually think Muse projects better as a hybrid SAM.  I don’t see Muse being a sideline to sideline WILL tackling machine.  I think he’s be best used as a SAM, assuming he can learn to stack and shed at the line.  If he only becomes decent at it he’ll likely only be a nickle LB.  I’m guessing my opinion isn’t popular or the consensus thought for Muse.  I just don’t think his athletic profile is good enough for SAM.  I think you bulk him up from 6’2 227 to 237-240 and make him a Nick Kwiatkowski playing SAM but slightly lighter and a good degree faster.  He would have the significant task of having to learn to stack/shed, get off blocks, and make the tackle but if he can do that he’d make a decent SAM.  And the current path to the field on our team is much easier at SAM than WILL where Littleton will be for at least 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Wonder if Muse could start at SLB. Maybe use White as a developmental WLB behind Littleton 

WLB: Littleton, White 

MLB: Kwit, Morrow 

SLB: Muse, Lee 

Muse has never even played LB in his life and he's going to start there as a rookie? 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Wonder if Muse could start at SLB. Maybe use White as a developmental WLB behind Littleton 

WLB: Littleton, White 

MLB: Kwit, Morrow 

SLB: Muse, Lee 

I think your on to something... albeit I just think your a little bit “hot”’ on starting Muse.  (But hey it’s just my opinion and I’m no way a fact and what do I know lol)

I think it’d actually be the reserve at SAM. Lee would “start” and play early, “run” downs then Muse would come in on certain packages like 2nd/Long or 3rd/4-6, downs where teams are likely to pass but could still run so you don’t necessarily want too many smaller DBs on the field.  Let Muse run blitz, something I think he could become good at in time, or cover TEs with more physicality and size than a S could provide on typically shorter routes (those 3rd&4-6yds downs where a TE is far more likely to just run a short route to the sticks).

I actually think Muse could become a decent run defender at SAM.  He’ll likely struggle with taking on T’s and TE’s at the line initially but hopefully with more size and strength plus experience he becomes at least proficient at that.  Where I think he could be good is run blitzes and backside pursuit.  He seems like he’ll be better attacking / moving forward and running plays down from behind than engaging blockers and shedding then making the tackle.  He’s an interesting chess piece to a defense and not really a “starter” IMO.  Maybe he gets used at WILL but I just don’t think he’s got the skills & athleticism (I’m aware of his 4.41 combine) to become a starter, not to mention Littleton has that position locked down for a few years and is here to play 3 downs.

I think his value is a ST’s captain (By year 2) playing on nearly all ST downs, as well as, a situational SAM “co-Starter”.

While I wish we traded down into the mid 4th to get him i still think he can bring enough value to the team to make the selection worth it.  Idk but I personally feel those 3rd-4th round LB picks often don’t bust but also never really become quality starters.  The edge he has on ST’s really pushes him ahead of guys like Mykal Walker, Shaq Quarterman, etc who where selected relatively soon after.  AGB and Dye are more likely to become a starter than Muse, but are WILL only prospects.  Maybe that’s why we went with Muse, and we plan to use him at SAM? Idk only time tells, but as of now I think he’s got work to do to learn trade of being a LB and SAM not WILL Is his ideal position & with Littleton at WILL playing all 3 (if not 4) downs there is very little room for Muse to play there.

I also think J.White has almost zero chance of making the team, but will make PS.  He’s an ideal candidate for PS because he needs to learn LB after being used in a hybrid role in college and he needs to add 15+ pounds (211 to around 225-235).  Not to mention with the new PS rules he could be called up to the active roster on a game by game basis if there’s injuries to the backups that need filling, mainly ST duties.

Edited by jimkelly02