Pick #100 is in: LB, Tanner Muse, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

42 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think most people like the player and he was mocked to us a lot, trouble is he was thought by nearly everyone here to be a 5th round kind of prospect and a project at that. Now of course, we can all be wrong and he's a turn key player at LB and shiws Mayock to be a genius but that is unlikely and it does appear to be quite a big reach when a lot of other pretty talented players were also available who seem to be much more polished.

I don't think anyone hates the player but I also don't think anyone likes the value of where he was picked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

I think most people like the player and he was mocked to us a lot, trouble is he was thought by nearly everyone here to be a 5th round kind of prospect and a project at that. Now of course, we can all be wrong and he's a turn key player at LB and shiws Mayock to be a genius but that is unlikely and it does appear to be quite a big reach when a lot of other pretty talented players were also available who seem to be much more polished.

I don't think anyone hates the player but I also don't think anyone likes the value of where he was picked.

Statements like this are driving crazy why is Mayock not a draft Genius? Is it because Amateurs don't agree with the experts picks?

7 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Statements like this are driving crazy why is Mayock not a draft Genius? Is it because Amateurs don't agree with the experts picks?

Why is Mayock not regarded by me as a draft genius?

Because he hasnt proven it over a period of time yet. He had some nice picks last year like Mullen, Crosby and Renfrow but the most important picks like Ferrell, Abram, Ruggs, Arnette are all still to be properly assessed, Jacobs looks vety good but I'm going to wait until he actually proves something before crowning him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Why is Mayock not regarded by me as a draft genius?

Because he hasnt proven it over a period of time yet. He had some nice picks last year like Mullen, Crosby and Renfrow but the most important picks like Ferrell, Abram, Ruggs, Arnette are all still to be properly assessed, Jacobs looks vety good but I'm going to wait until he actually proves something before crowning him. 

He was the best draft analyst on TV for 20 years

1 minute ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He was the best draft analyst on TV for 20 years

I agree, really liked him as compared to a guy like Mel Kiper who's pretty awful. Of course its a totally different ball game to actually GM a team and make picks when there is real consequence for the team, the GM and the individual players.

There are guys here who in a vacuum would have drafted better than a decent number of GMs over the last couple years so just because they're employed by a team doesn't necessarily make them genius's. 

I like Mayock, I really do but he has to prove over a period of time he can be a draft genius, that honour shouldn't be bestowed lightly IMHO 😀

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I agree, really liked him as compared to a guy like Mel Kiper who's pretty awful. Of course its a totally different ball game to actually GM a team and make picks when there is real consequence for the team, the GM and the individual players.

There are guys here who in a vacuum would have drafted better than a decent number of GMs over the last couple years so just because they're employed by a team doesn't necessarily make them genius's. 

I like Mayock, I really do but he has to prove over a period of time he can be a draft genius, that honour shouldn't be bestowed lightly IMHO 😀

The amount of information a NFL GM gets Dwarf's anything on the web. They have investigators interview  players, roommates, friends and family. They have team of  scouts going over flim from high school, college and practice.

Doctor's going over the injury history.

Having input from their own coaches and if this person will fit their system.

There is no way an amateur can compete with this information. They might get lucky time to time but that's it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The amount of information a NFL GM gets Dwarf's anything on the web. They have investigators interview  players, roommates, friends and family. They have team of  scouts going over flim from high school, college and practice.

There is no way an amateur can compete with this information. They might get lucky time to time but that's it.

You dont think a number of guys here could have drafted better than, say the Browns over the last 10 years, well maybe excluding the last couple drafts? Even if you just guessed the picks the odds of hitting on some of those first round picks would have meant a random selection would have been better than what they managed.

Of course theres no way to prove it that average Joe would have done better but for all the information and tools these GMs get a large number of them are absolutely awful at the draft 😁😁. You'll not persuade me that a number of them have absolutely no clue what they're doing.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I think most people like the player and he was mocked to us a lot, trouble is he was thought by nearly everyone here to be a 5th round kind of prospect and a project at that.

Imo, if you like the player, it shouldn't really matter that he was drafted late 3rd instead of 5th. It's well past the point where we have a somewhat clear vision of boards and value.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Imo, if you like the player, it shouldn't really matter that he was drafted late 3rd instead of 5th. It's well past the point where we have a somewhat clear vision of boards and value.

I'd probably agree if we were talking about a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick but the 3rd round is pretty high and its conceivable that a number of starters will have been drafted in the 3rd. Now, maybe Muse will start and the talk of reaching is nonsense but it looks like at this moment in time we reached hard for a guy that will be a backup, project and ST player who may develop into more. I dont think its outlandish to say that is a reach or poor value. Its a valid criticism until proven otherwise. 

18 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I forget but one of our “draft season” temp posters mentioned drafting guys a round earlier from 3rd round and beyond which I agree happens look at Brooks the lb from Texas Tech 

59 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I hate this line of argument so much.  By your logic, you should stop giving your opinion on sports in general because you don't work in the industry and have insufficient information.  Just completely defer to the "experts" and don't give any opinions.  You should apply this to politics as well as you surely don't have as much experience and information regarding the policies.

Nowadays you can watch multiple full games of nearly every player in the draft - pretty much the same as what teams are watching except you don't have the All 22.  While we don't have medical or character information, we can certainly watch the players and make informed judgments on their ability.  

This isn't rocket science.  Most people here have watched football their entire lives and know what a good player looks like.  Lets stop acting like NFL GMs/scouts have some unobtainable skill or expertise.  They whiff all the time and can have bad opinions. 

• Like 4