Pick #100 is in: LB, Tanner Muse, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

Watched that video from silver and black films. Muse isn't a great safety. He has some range, but isn't "safety fluid".

But when you look at him as a coverage/weakside LB, which is what he''ll be, he suddenly projects as a ++ athlete in terms of speed/burst, coverage ability (flashes), and he's a fairly good tackler. He needs to get a little bigger and learn the ropes from Kwit/Littleton in terms of instincts/zone awareness. But I have no doubt that in time, he can become a possible 3rd LB and a guy who you can play LB on obvious passing downs. That and special teams value, combined with the fact that this is "almost" the 4th round and this pick doesn't look so bad.

I didn't see stiffness also for the record. Just a lack of decisiveness that caused him to freeze in coverage at times against good receivers.

We dont need an immediate starter at LB anyways so why not develop a guy with ridiculous numbers and crazy straight line speed at safety to see if he can become a good LB maybe 2 years down the road? Plus he is a special teams player and a character guy. I wish this was a round later, but it's not as bad as I thought.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We dont need an immediate starter at LB anyways so why not develop a guy with ridiculous numbers and crazy straight line speed at safety to see if he can become a good LB maybe 2 years down the road? Plus he is a special teams player and a character guy. I wish this was a round later, but it's not as bad as I thought.

Good point. We don’t really need an immediate starter at any position and you could argue that we possibly didn’t after the Arnette pick. I think Mayock did an excellent job of filling our holes going into the draft. He knew we would get at least 1 and probably 2 WRs due to the depth and where we picked 1st.

After the Apple situation (which inadvertently filled another hole - safety with Randall), really CB was the only other position we absolute had to address. This probably explains the ‘reach’ for Arnette. From there on out, we’ve had the luxury of not desperately needing to fill a specific position.

Edited by reddevil

Bad pick.  

24 year old project who was a bad college player.

Should be an excellent ST but not sure why we're drafting for special teams in round 3 with plenty of good players on the board.

Seems like a guy Gruden loved after meeting and Bisaccia pounded the table for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Good point. We don’t really need an immediate starter at any position and you could argue that we possibly didn’t after the Arnette pick. I think Mayock did an excellent job of filling our holes going into the draft. He knew we would get at least 1 and probably 2 WRs due to the depth and where we picked 1st.

After the Apple situation (which inadvertently filled another hole - safety with Randall), really CB was the only other position we absolute had to address. This probably explains the ‘reach’ for Arnette. From there on out, we’ve had the luxury of not desperately needing to fill a specific position.

Like I said CB, Burgess or Davion Taylor or Troy Dye... would have all been good options. Should have a been a late round pick, can’t like everything I guess 

Edited by Humble_Beast

We had the worst linebacker group in the NFL last year.  Getting a potential LB who who could actually get to the flat doesn't upset me. I like that he started for the best defense in college football for the last 3 years.   Probably just special teams in his first year. C+

We have very little depth and we want speed at LB. I thought the pick would have been Davion Taylor but Muse fits the same role as a rookie. STer. Taylor isn't any more ready to play than a guy who started so many games for Clemson.