Pick #100 is in: LB, Tanner Muse, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think we'll only bring him back if someone gets injured. Shame he was a solid 2 down backer for us prior to that "suspension".

He was solid in pass coverage too iirc. Made some plays vs. a TE, about the only LB to do so for the entire year.

• Like 1

He was playing at a pro bowl level, one of the few guys flying around and making plays on defense. I would bring Vontaze back in the heartbeat if he understood he wouldn’t be team captain, took a pay cut , and accepting playing SLB. Would be the best LB we could sign at this point by a long mile. If he was to do something, make his contract easy to void, and be be Tanner Muse time. 

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ugh, ngl he was targeted by the NFL to be suspended.

I’ve rewatched the play that got him suspended and the angle they play over and over looks a lot different than the all-22 and the classic Tv angle. It was a ****ty situation to be in... the TE was down, literally an inch from his butt being on the ground and then he starts to spring up to his feet?  How do you handle that in real time?  You gotta hit him to bring him down and you can’t win high,,, you can’t honestly judge the rate of speed his springing upward... it was a very difficult situation for burflict.... I like him a lot. Loved him at ASU.... sad if this ends his career 

but that said with where we’re moving to I don’t currently see a spot for him in this team... but if we lose a guy mid season to injury he’s my first call... and part of that is an AL DAVIS style FU to the nfl

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

He was playing at a pro bowl level, one of the few guys flying around and making plays on defense. I would bring Vontaze back in the heartbeat if he understood he wouldn’t be team captain, took a pay cut , and accepting playing SLB. Would be the best LB we could sign at this point by a long mile. If he was to do something, make his contract easy to void, and be be Tanner Muse time. 

I wanna be with you in this ... especially from an emotional level... I just feel like the risk vs reward for the team is too much right now.  He’d take the place of a guy who we’d have in TC and part of the season and when he gets suspended again we’re SOL, scrambling for someone to sign 

I know there’s not a ton of tape of Muse playing LB or but he did play near the LOS a decent amount.  That said when he’s the 8th man in the box he’s often not Accounted or at least is far less accounted of then he would be as a traditional LB.....

that said, I’d like people opinions on how he will deal with shedding blocks and fighting through traffic.  I feel this is where he will struggle early and his ability to grow in this area will ultimately determine his ability to succeed as a LB.  

Secondly, what are your realistic hopes for Muse 1) his rookie year 2) during his rookie contract? 
I think he’ll be valuable as a STer initially and will bring more speed to ST coverage as an “up back” on punts and on kick off coverage than Kyle Wilber brings, which is why Muse’s addition, believe, will lead to his release at the cut deadline.  Ultimately, with time Muse should become the captain and leader of ST coverage units.  I don’t think he’ll many snaps at LB unless there are a good amount of injuries.  It’s be nice but not very expected to see him be used in a small number of specific coverages as coverage, nickel LB.  In time I think he could be used often to spell Kwiatkowski and play alongside Littleton as the two nickel LBs.  I don’t have much hope for him becoming The traditional tackling machine WILL.  While a 3rd is a tad rich for a player who isn’t likely to becoming a Traditional starter, i do think he can carve Out enough of a niche to make the pick worth it.  

so what do you guys see as his short and long term projection, how do you hope he’s used, where he struggle initially and what will he need to get better at, etc etc?

24 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I know there’s not a ton of tape of Muse playing LB or but he did play near the LOS a decent amount.  That said when he’s the 8th man in the box he’s often not Accounted or at least is far less accounted of then he would be as a traditional LB.....

that said, I’d like people opinions on how he will deal with shedding blocks and fighting through traffic.  I feel this is where he will struggle early and his ability to grow in this area will ultimately determine his ability to succeed as a LB.  

Secondly, what are your realistic hopes for Muse 1) his rookie year 2) during his rookie contract? 
I think he’ll be valuable as a STer initially and will bring more speed to ST coverage as an “up back” on punts and on kick off coverage than Kyle Wilber brings, which is why Muse’s addition, believe, will lead to his release at the cut deadline.  Ultimately, with time Muse should become the captain and leader of ST coverage units.  I don’t think he’ll many snaps at LB unless there are a good amount of injuries.  It’s be nice but not very expected to see him be used in a small number of specific coverages as coverage, nickel LB.  In time I think he could be used often to spell Kwiatkowski and play alongside Littleton as the two nickel LBs.  I don’t have much hope for him becoming The traditional tackling machine WILL.  While a 3rd is a tad rich for a player who isn’t likely to becoming a Traditional starter, i do think he can carve Out enough of a niche to make the pick worth it.  

so what do you guys see as his short and long term projection, how do you hope he’s used, where he struggle initially and what will he need to get better at, etc etc?

Muse looks like a strong MF, judging from that car video. I will watch even more of him and then get back to you, but considering he played safety decently okay and intercepted a lot of balls, I think the ceiling is there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Ignoring the draft slot for now, I really like Muse the player at LB but not at S, he's obviously got the wheels to be a sideline to sideline LB and though he's noted as being a little stiff at safety I don't think that will be a huge problem at LB.

I see his role initially as a ST guy getting looks at LB in certain packages. I agree that his ability to stack and shed and shift through trash will have to improve but with him and Littleton both they're not really built like traditional stack and shed LBs, more like the modern, fast flow down the line types so I don't think we envision him playing in a traditional role. Though that usually works best with space eaters in front to occupy blocks so I'm not sure how they mesh with the DTs yet.

I can see as the year moves on Muse being trusted with coverage duties and maybe we'll use him in a kind of free roaming joker role, covering and blitzing and being a mismatch type of player.

He's not too small for a modern LB so I don't see the need for him bulking up too much so he should keep his speed. By years end I can see him being a ST ace and rotational LB. I'm optimistic he'll see out his rookie contract and by the end of contract I think he'll be a pretty good WLB and tackling machine. He'll be a fan favourite because of his tenacity and effort. At very worst I see a ST ace and depth LB, now whether that's worth the 3rd is another question.

• Like 2