Day 3 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What if they're just high on Funchess and don't plan on playing 3 WRs, let alone 4, very often?

I've thought Funchess was garbage since he was in college. He's done nothing to show otherwise at the NFL level. If that's what they're planning, they still needed a No. 2 receiver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I've thought Funchess was garbage since he was in college. He's done nothing to show otherwise at the NFL level. If that's what they're planning, they still needed a No. 2 receiver.

I feel like given the average quality of #2 WRs in the NFL, you should probably be able to find one with what you've got.  Particularly if the run game is something the defense needs to respect more.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like given the average quality of #2 WRs in the NFL, you should probably be able to find one with what you've got.  Particularly if the run game is something the defense needs to respect more.

It's the same group we had last year except for St. Brown (a former 6th round pick who was hurt all of last year) and Funchess (on his third team in three years and coming off injury). There's virtually zero reason to believe they have a competent No. 2 receiver on the roster.

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Miami gets Malcolm Perry.  

Lining him and Tu'a up in the same backfield in the Wildcat.  

Absolutely craziness.  

Wonderfully intriguing pick. I reacted immediately. It's my favorite late Dolphins draft pick in decades. Months ago on a Dolphins site I named Malcolm Perry as my top choice for a late sleeper pick.

There are tons of things you can do with those final picks. Shula especially in the later years would always pick some stiff linebacker who couldn't play at all. Why not use that pick to create cheap yards and points? That's what Malcolm Perry accomplishes. He was the most elusive player in this draft. I would say it was a non-competitive category. 

Perry is more shifty than McCaffrey but not as big or fast. I don't see how he projects to wide receiver. Mel Kiper had the right idea on the telecast after the selection. Perry should be the equivalent of a third down back. But why limit it to third down? He can drive defenses nuts by shifting all over the place. Tua's natural touch and Perry's surreal elusiveness can combine for lethal plays out of nowhere. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Giants had 10 picks. They only took OL, DB, and LB. I kinda like it. 

They did a great job of rebuilding their line in one draft.  I really like the Thomas pick, I think they went with the best OT out there.  Jones is going to need protection against the crazy pass-rushes that the NFCE opponents have.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm actually not. I saw a lot of people in the niner forums mocking him to us and it got to a point the other day where I asked why. Now, I'm not saying that he's worse than everyone who was drafted, but at a certain point where they are all in the same kind of bucket. 

More surprised that Hunter Bryant may not get picked (but that's mainly because the niners had a lot of talks and visits with him, so I thought he was our guy lol) 

Lots of concern over the injury he has, which is a Jones fracture.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_fracture

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1071100715603983?journalCode=faib

It's also the injury Kevin Durant had back in 2014 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Wonderfully intriguing pick. I reacted immediately. It's my favorite late Dolphins draft pick in decades. Months ago on a Dolphins site I named Malcolm Perry as my top choice for a late sleeper pick.

There are tons of things you can do with those final picks. Shula especially in the later years would always pick some stiff linebacker who couldn't play at all. Why not use that pick to create cheap yards and points? That's what Malcolm Perry accomplishes. He was the most elusive player in this draft. I would say it was a non-competitive category. 

Perry is more shifty than McCaffrey but not as big or fast. I don't see how he projects to wide receiver. Mel Kiper had the right idea on the telecast after the selection. Perry should be the equivalent of a third down back. But why limit it to third down? He can drive defenses nuts by shifting all over the place. Tua's natural touch and Perry's surreal elusiveness can combine for lethal plays out of nowhere. 

He's also not a bad thrower.  A couple years ago, Coach Ken brought Chip Kelly in for spring practice to help install some spread passing elements to the offense.  It finally took until this year for them to really get them down pat and start to throw the football more often.  It was actually a bit surprising to me, because he had a had time in 2018 adapting to being the QB for Navy, and they really had to convince him to give it another shot this year.  Turns out he did extremely well.  Not Keenan Reynolds great, but he's going to be a rare talent for Navy to have.  

I think Perry can be a third down back and more.  Give him the ball as a decoy, Wild Cat, reversals, throwing the ball and running a route tree out of the slot and other positions.  He's going to be really raw, but I think he can be a very good player for you guys.  

I was hoping for the Redskins to nab him in the seventh, but we took Antonio Gibson in the third so that was the end of any hope for Perry to be here.  I'm glad service academy players are now able to have a shot at the pros without needing a waiver.  Hopefully Perry sticks and can be a contributor for you. 

On 25.4.2020 at 11:07 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

The Bills getting Isaiah Hodgins here is nice value. He showed a lot of progress in his game from SO to JR season, so I'm surprised he lasted this long. Really should've went back to school. 

It's a reminder to me that prospects who don't really excel in any one area aren't valued highly in the draft process. Hodgins is a good-at-most, master-of-none type player. 

Came here to write about him. I didn't really know him until I watched tape today and I'm impressed. All I knew from various scouting reports that he had long arms and one of the most reliable hands in the draft. But what me actually impressed me most are his feet. I love his feet! He makes amazing ballerina tip-toe Santonio catches look effortless. It's no coincidence he makes them regularly and makes them look routine. His routes are delicious! Idk why this hasn't been brought up yet. Maybe it's bias because WRs with his body type are usually clumsy route runners. The sharpness of his cuts is nothing short of incredible for a tall WR like him,  and he is very advanced in setting up his routes. I studied all the top WRs closely and Hodgins' route variety is the best in the class. Dominated against bigger programmes.

So with excellent hands, body control, toe drag swag and route running, I can't agree that he is a jack of all trades/master of none. He doesn't offer anything after the catch as evidenced by his 4.6 40. But his jump and agility drills are very good. Plays stronger than he looks, especially at the catch point, but for a guy like him adding strength is important. If he finds his way on the field for the Bills, his catch radius and late adjustment ability to poor passes will be a blessing for Josh Allen. John Brown and Diggs will open up the offense and Hodgins could take advantage of it. I like him much more than the Bills first WR drafted Gabriel Davis. In many other classes or if he clocks in the 4.5 range, Hodgins is a no-brainer 2nd day pick.