The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

On 10/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, Turnobili said:

i was saying that this offseason would have been quite a good time to extend Carr considering how cost controlled he was for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

would have also been a much cleaner way to clear up cap space for this offseason than continuing to restructure guys like littleton/kwit/nassib

barring a massive individual collapse his price tag is going to skyrocket... particularly as the market continues to get reset with every extension.  for those who wanted to wait it out and have him prove it, that's what the cowboys did. then dak got hurt (didnt prove it) and still got a massive deal because the market crept up

wonder what his contract will look like vs what it could have looked like if we extended him this past offseason

54 minutes ago, Derptacular said:

wonder what his contract will look like vs what it could have looked like if we extended him this past offseason

Carr has always been a team first player, even in regards to his contract. I have a feeling he'd be willing to take slightly less compared to the guy who wants max value no matter what, so the team can succeed.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Carr has always been a team first player, even in regards to his contract. I have a feeling he'd be willing to take slightly less compared to the guy who wants max value no matter what, so the team can succeed.

Doesn't strike me as a greedy dude either. He's set. His kids are set. Their kids are set. He wants to win. I would bet he'd do what you suggest as well

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

Yup. 

Dude IS a Raider through and through. Good game, bad game, whatever it may be from week to week, you can't question his commitment to the team. After years of being a mercenary's dream, it's refreshing to see someone who wants the Raiders and nobody else. 

I bet he'd play on a bottom 5 contract if it meant staying and getting the team to succeed. Obviously it won't come to that though. 

• Like 1

“He is in concert with (offensive coordinator Greg Olson),” Bisaccia said, “and he is so accurate that he will literally go through Wednesday’s and Thursday’s practice and there’s possibly two or three incompletes. And he ends up throwing them again. He has tremendous accuracy, he has tremendous command of the offense and knows where everyone is supposed to be.

“He is the first one in the building and the last one to leave. I have been around a lot of good quarterbacks, and his preparation is second to none. And I think he plays like he prepares.”

Unlike his predecessor, Bisaccia is not the face of the franchise.

“Derek is the voice of the Raiders right now,” Bisaccia said. “The players always want to listen to him, and they go to him. He is a tremendous leader, both on and off the field.”

Carr nodded when told what Bisaccia said.

“When Coach Gruden would walk a room, all eyes are on him,” Carr said, “When we lost that, someone has to fill that void. It’s not only me, but obviously as the quarterback and leader and I’ve been here a while, I was like, I got to take that part of what I do to another level.

“I’m just trying to do everything I can to encourage, uplift and motivate the guys to keep going in every situation. It’s not only me, but I appreciate him saying that.”

Little tiny excerpt from a sports article I found online.

• Like 4

A little excerpt from ESPN radio this afternoon, Fitz had some interesting info. He said he heard from someone inside that they scrapped a bunch of the playbook in order to help the offense and players. I trust Fitz because he's a huge raiders fan and isn't looking for stories, but info for his own sake because he's a fan. Makes sense though, Grudens playbook is notoriously huge. I bet it helped a ton of players having to not memorize a dictionary. Only keep what we're best at. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NickButera said:

A little excerpt from ESPN radio this afternoon, Fitz had some interesting info. He said he heard from someone inside that they scrapped a bunch of the playbook in order to help the offense and players. I trust Fitz because he's a huge raiders fan and isn't looking for stories, but info for his own sake because he's a fan. Makes sense though, Grudens playbook is notoriously huge. I bet it helped a ton of players having to not memorize a dictionary. Only keep what we're best at. 

I’ve heard this as well. Also, how many time can you practice 200 different plays? A more condensed playbook will allow players to hone in a bit while not having to think as much, just like what’s going happening on the defensive side of the ball. 

28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

If we can get him for $35m per year I think that’s a steal. It will probably be closer to $40m tho 

I hope he takes a discount.  I would hate to see him getting paid that much.  I know if he plays like he has during his first 5 wins for the rest of the season that's probably what his worth will be, but I hope he takes 20-25M per season.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I hope he takes a discount.  I would hate to see him getting paid that much.  I know if he plays like he has during his first 5 wins for the rest of the season that's probably what his worth will be, but I hope he takes 20-25M per season.

The top 10 paid qbs get (averaged) 45-30 mil a year. 45 for the most, 30 the #10. Derek Carr is 14th on the list with 25m a year. I doubt he takes the same amount. However.... #15 on the list is Brady at 25m a year. After that it drops off to the 14m range per year . I can see him taking a team friendly deal in the low 30s. But I have a hard time seeing him staying at the lowest paid QB out of all the competent starters, let alone less than he's making right now. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

No way he takes that much of a hit IMO, look at the contracts for the 2022 season, QB salaries are skyrocketing. 

5 hours ago, NickButera said:

The top 10 paid qbs get (averaged) 45-30 mil a year. 45 for the most, 30 the #10. Derek Carr is 14th on the list with 25m a year. I doubt he takes the same amount. However.... #15 on the list is Brady at 25m a year. After that it drops off to the 14m range per year . I can see him taking a team friendly deal in the low 30s. But I have a hard time seeing him staying at the lowest paid QB out of all the competent starters, let alone less than he's making right now. 

Well I can still wish that he takes the Brady pay.  Brady has the team he has because of how little he gets paid.  Him opting for 25M instead of 32-35M per season is the difference of us being able to add another play maker on offense or defense.  I just hope he considers it.

• Like 1