The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Kyler's DVOA absolutely fell of a cliff without DHop, back to his very poor 2020 numbers. Shows A) the impact of an elite WR B) that QBs are extremely reliant on talent around them 

When you look at the top 10 passers this season: Brady (Godwin/Evans), Herbert (Allen/Williams), Stafford (Kupp/Woods), Burrow (Chase/Higgins), Dak (CeeDee/Amari), Allen (Diggs), Cousins (Jefferson/Thielen).

Carr: Zay / Renfrow

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When you look at the top 10 passers this season: Brady (Godwin/Evans), Herbert (Allen/Williams), Stafford (Kupp/Woods), Burrow (Chase/Higgins), Dak (CeeDee/Amari), Allen (Diggs), Cousins (Jefferson/Thielen).

Carr: Zay / Renfrow

I just heard on the radio on the way home, they were saying the remaining teams in the playoffs all have legitimate star WR's. Seemed like for a while production could be found anywhere, but now, successful teams all have legitimate threats at the WR positition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

I just heard on the radio on the way home, they were saying the remaining teams in the playoffs all have legitimate star WR's. Seemed like for a while production could be found anywhere, but now, successful teams all have legitimate threats at the WR positition.

Yeah it's a pass happy league. I'm a Carr critic but for him to put up the volume he did with as limited as we were at WR was unreal. Having an elite WR completely changes the way that teams have to defend you.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, bucksavage1 said:

This is the challenge with the NFL, contracts don’t allow you to bring it back and try again. Jacobs, Renfrow , Waller, Crosby are all due deals with the next 1-2 seasons. We resign Carr and we’ll lose at least 2 of the those players. Remember what happened with Mack? We couldn’t pay him due to allocation on the QB and the OL

Some People say “there’s always a way to find the money to make it happen” and that’s true to some extent.

but I believe if you don’t waste cap space, are willing to get depth Thru draft picks and near minimum salary FAs, hit on your day 1+2 picks at a good rate, and extend your elite players early, thus spreading out the hits, you can pretty much afford to never lose anyone you don’t want to.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Some People say “there’s always a way to find the money to make it happen” and that’s true to some extent.

but I believe if you don’t waste cap space, are willing to get depth Thru draft picks and near minimum salary FAs, hit on your day 1+2 picks at a good rate, and extend your elite players early, thus spreading out the hits, you can pretty much afford to never lose anyone you don’t want to.

This was the downfall of both Reggie and Gruden/Mike. They missed on so many mid round picks that we are going to be in cap hell when we extend our good players because we don't have a ton of good starters on rookie deals. And god forbid we lose some key pieces we don't have cheap alternatives to replace them.

• Like 2

Silver said on “The Colin Cowherd Podcast.” “Mark Davis has a kind of Russell Wilson, not fixation, but he was kind of into that concept from what I was hearing. Mark Davis, I think, has felt ‘we can do better than Derek Carr.'”

https://heavy.com/sports/las-vegas-raiders/russell-wilson-trade-mark-davis/?fbclid=IwAR027fDzinbKxuuUF3CM1GvP6gMEDkpnqDyYMYCuHuCb8QOYaVXLVF-Hiec

interesting 

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Silver said on “The Colin Cowherd Podcast.” “Mark Davis has a kind of Russell Wilson, not fixation, but he was kind of into that concept from what I was hearing. Mark Davis, I think, has felt ‘we can do better than Derek Carr.'”

https://heavy.com/sports/las-vegas-raiders/russell-wilson-trade-mark-davis/?fbclid=IwAR027fDzinbKxuuUF3CM1GvP6gMEDkpnqDyYMYCuHuCb8QOYaVXLVF-Hiec

interesting 

I mean we can do better but at what cost. Wilson is also slightly overrated (1 season of DVOA in top 5), he does similar to Carr in that he starts season of hot and falls off a cliff. He is better than Carr but has a monster contract and is 34 next season. They'd want multiple firsts and with a new GM who, fingers crossed, can use them I don't think I'd want to do that. 

I like Russ, but he's on the back 9. He's becoming more refined as a pocket as a passer vs. improvising as he's done in years past. 

No doubt an upgrade over Carr, but you'd have a very small window and the Raiders don't seem to have the horses for that race yet. 

2 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

I mean we can do better but at what cost. Wilson is also slightly overrated (1 season of DVOA in top 5), he does similar to Carr in that he starts season of hot and falls off a cliff. He is better than Carr but has a monster contract and is 34 next season. They'd want multiple firsts and with a new GM who, fingers crossed, can use them I don't think I'd want to do that. 

I just want to draft a qb start new

I'll echo the thought of being weary of Russell. He hasn't looked all that great and will be 34 early this next season. QBs can last forever but mobility always has been a big part of his game.

I wonder what it would cost. But if Davis truly does want "rockstar stuff" like the article says, a Wilson trade would be a big name.

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m warming up to Pickett from Pitt 

He is ok, his absolute best case scenario is Carr imo. Nothing majorly impressive about his physical tools, good runner. One good year as a starter. 

I'd look at him in the late 2nd but he will go in the first