The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

After watching Allen and Mahomes last night, what would you guys give up to get Watson in order to have a QB who can compete with these two monsters?

Nothing at all, no way I want him anywhere near this franchise. He's very talented but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed IMO with regard criminals and he's pretty obviously guilty reading into it.

We can compete with a very good draft class and some astute FA signings this year together with a good coaching setup IMO.

• Like 2

Been looking at the QB class again, and man it doesn't get much better every time I look. Pickett is best of bunch but there really isn't anything that he does that Carr doesn't. In fact most comparison's i've seen made are actually Carr himself.

Willis has a big arm and is athletic but he is smaller than you'd like (be interesting to see his measurements, I think he might be about 6'0, 210lbs) and obviously has faced no level of competition + threw 6 picks in 2 games against Louisina Monroe & Middle Tennessee. Struggling against Ole Miss is to be expected given the talent delta between the sides, but he had numerous terrible games this year. 

On 1/25/2022 at 1:18 AM, Jraider91 said:

Been looking at the QB class again, and man it doesn't get much better every time I look. Pickett is best of bunch but there really isn't anything that he does that Carr doesn't. In fact most comparison's i've seen made are actually Carr himself.

Willis has a big arm and is athletic but he is smaller than you'd like (be interesting to see his measurements, I think he might be about 6'0, 210lbs) and obviously has faced no level of competition + threw 6 picks in 2 games against Louisina Monroe & Middle Tennessee. Struggling against Ole Miss is to be expected given the talent delta between the sides, but he had numerous terrible games this year. 

This years QB class is one of the worst in recent memory. Some of the comparisons I've seen that I like:

Kenny Pickett - Taylor Henickie 

Malik Willis - Tyrod Taylor

Matt Corral - Tyler Huntley

Carson Strong - Carson Wentz

Sam Howell - Baker Mayfield

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:51 PM, Darbsk said:

Nothing at all, no way I want him anywhere near this franchise. He's very talented but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed IMO with regard criminals and he's pretty obviously guilty reading into it.

We can compete with a very good draft class and some astute FA signings this year together with a good coaching setup IMO.

It would be a PR nightmare after the Ruggs/Gruden scandals to trade for a player like Watson who just sat out an entire season due to sexual assault allegations. Watson also came off as kind of a jerk throughout the entire saga so I'm not sure how well he'd do in Vegas. I'm fairly confident that Carr is the QB going forward but the one name I think is worth monitoring is Russell Wilson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

People also seem to forget that Watson led the Texans to a 4-12 record the last season he played, lol.

Context is key here. The Texans FO imploded that team deliberately and the coach was a dead man walking. Fired 4 games into the season. They had no chance at success. Not like he lined up expecting a successful season after trading Nuke. Then there was locker room drama with both Watson and Watt. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Context is key here. The Texans FO imploded that team deliberately and the coach was a dead man walking. Fired 4 games into the season. They had no chance at success. Not like he lined up expecting a successful season after trading Nuke. Then there was locker room drama with both Watson and Watt. 

His most productive season as a passer came in a bad year for Houston where his numbers were inflated. His rushing upside is better than Carr's but in the two seasons he produced on a playoff team his passing numbers are relatively the same as what Carr did this year.

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

But if that happens to Carr, they're "excuses". 

Carry on....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Watson made the playoffs in back to back years and produced a lot more on the ground behind a much worse OL.

Worst division in football to be fair, Watson is good but overrated because he makes a lot of off script plays. 

• Like 1