The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Naw. I think Carr team said they going to make you the highest paid player ever in the league for one great year of production. Take the deal. But if you want to call him signing first him taking a discount to make you feel better go right ahead. 

I do remember for a short time, Carr was the highest paid player in the NFL. We chose Carr over Mack. Reggie Mac had plans to franchise him, but Gruden came in and those plans changed

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I do remember for a short time, Carr was the highest paid player in the NFL. We chose Carr over Mack. Reggie Mac had plans to franchise him, but Gruden came in and those plans changed

This is wrong. Mack was not let go because of Carr’s contract, he was let go because he would not come in and kiss Gruden’s ring. Y’all have got to stop with your revisionist history. 

35 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

This is wrong. Mack was not let go because of Carr’s contract, he was let go because he would not come in and kiss Gruden’s ring. Y’all have got to stop with your revisionist history. 

Incorrect. 

Mack’s contract demands got too high for what we were willing to pay him. Which would of made him the highest paid defender in the NFL. A year after making Carr the highest paid QB, we wouldn’t have been able to field a balanced team. Especially in the middle of a relocation.  According to Grudens vision. If Reggie Mac was still running show, he had a plan for Mack’s contract with the team. Gruden comes in and Reggies plan gets changed 

Gruden, from 2019: "If we came up with the money to make the (Khalil Mack) contract happen, we wouldn’t have Trent Brown, we wouldn't have Antonio Brown, Lamarcus Joyner, and Vontaze Burfict, we wouldn’t have Tyrell Williams" ...  - Vic Tafur 

7 hours ago, Geezy said:

The Saints been in cap hell for 10 years 

Exactly. The salary cap is all about how you structure contracts and move money around. I've been waiting for the mass exodus of talent in New Orleans for decades. 

The Saints aren’t in cap hell now any more than they’ve been before. They conduct business differently than other teams, structuring contracts differently and looking to maximize their resources rather than stack up salary cap space they’ll never use. They’re in the red by tens of millions of dollars right now, and we’ve already explored how they’ll get out of it without any big shakeups to the roster.

KC paid Mahomes the largest contract ever for a QB and paid Chris Jones at the same time. 

Brady made less than some QBs on a year to year basis, but was still among the highest paid. His "team friendly" approach was taking more bonus money, short contracts and being able renegotiate.

There is an art to the cap. The best players don't reach FA unless the teams want them too. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. The salary cap is all about how you structure contracts and move money around. I've been waiting for the mass exodus of talent in New Orleans for decades. 

KC paid Mahomes the largest contract ever for a QB and paid Chris Jones at the same time. 

Brady made less than some QBs on a year to year basis, but was still among the highest paid. His "team friendly" approach was taking more bonus money, short contracts and being able renegotiate.

There is an art to the cap. The best players don't reach FA unless the teams want them too. 

Memory is a little foggy but Ol Al always got the team under the cap last minute and usually still got what he wanted 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

That’s how it works my statements never make sense unless it’s a topic we both agree on

im not a pff fan but I see maxx is our highest ranked player at #12 oh yea he’s gonna get paid paid 

....... No, it's bc it doesn't make sense lol

If Maxx is getting "paid paid" more than Watt and Bosa, we made made a big mistake and paid paid too much

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

22 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

....... No, it's bc it doesn't make sense lol

If Maxx is getting "paid paid" more than Watt and Bosa, we made made a big mistake and paid paid too much

Maxx doesn’t pass the eye test for me. He’s good but you mean to tell me that his single digit sacks are hard to replace? He’s a good story and has a Raider look but for as much as he pressures QBs it doesn’t translate to sacks. If you pay a guy top dollar he better be an elite guy who gets sacks, fumbles and consistently stops the run. 

That’s what elite DEs do. Mack did it, Bosa does it, Donald does it and so does Watt. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

With 0 Super Bowl Appearances to show for it. 

Elite Pass Rushers win Super Bowls, proven time and time again. EDGE is the second most important in the league behind QB. When you have a Top 5 EDGE vs a Middle of the Pack QB, you pay the EDGE first and then see if you can keep the QB. We made that mistake before in 2017. And it looks like we may be making it again. If we pay Carr 38-40M and let Crosby walk, it will be another four years of 6-10 wins and Commitment to Mediocracy. Guaranteed. I swear you guys are bigger Carr fans than Raider fans. There is no way in hell making Carr a Top 3 Paid QB and letting Crosby walk is the right franchise move, and would result in success. Stop using your emotions and use your head. I don’t hate Carr at all, but I care about the TEAM and don’t get passionate about ANY player. You guys are clearly emotionally attached to Carr and don’t care about winning Super Bowls in the slightest. 

Same mistake as 2017, AGAIN. 

Because putting that much money into two players is idiotic. 

I rather put money into two players that I know will contribute than to spread it around, pay more and get absolutely nothing(Joyner, Trent, Williams) that same money we got rid of and gave to Littleton, Kwit and Nassib lol id rather take a HOF Edge and a Franchise QB, but that’s just me. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Maxx doesn’t pass the eye test for me. He’s good but you mean to tell me that his single digit sacks are hard to replace? He’s a good story and has a Raider look but for as much as he pressures QBs it doesn’t translate to sacks. If you pay a guy top dollar he better be an elite guy who gets sacks, fumbles and consistently stops the run. 

That’s what elite DEs do. Mack did it, Bosa does it, Donald does it and so does Watt. 

I really do like Maxx, a lot, but some people here ridiculously overrate him. I believe it's for the factors you stated as well (story and look). I would absolutely LOVE to keep him on this team. I feel the DL was pretty good last year but it could certainly be better and I believe if he were surrounded by better pieces, his production would increase. These people stating we should make him the highest paid DE in the league based on pressures have lost their minds if they even existed lol. These are the same people who ***** about Carr not getting TDs b/c he's not as good in the RZ as other area of the fields (which is absolutely a problem). It's literally the same thing. They both almost get there but don't get home as much as we'd prefer. 

• Like 1

I like Maxx but to think he is amongst the elite pass rushers of the league is insane.  Hunter, Garrett, Donald, both Bosa's, and Watt are on a different level than Maxx,  We need to pay and keep him but he doesn't deserve to get paid on the same level as those players.  

I love his motor and heart but physically he is limited in comparison to the players mentioned above.  Fair market value for Maxx would be in the 17ish range per season.  

• Like 2

“I swear you guys on here are bigger Carr fans than Raider fans” ? Listen here whippersnapper!! Lmao! Them there’s fightin words!! Lmfao!! I’ve been a fan longer than you’ve been on this flippin planet! Can’t remember for sure, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen joking references about you moving to another team if certain things didn’t happen.....statements you’ll NEVER hear from 90% of this forum. I’ll give you credit, ya got some nads on ya Bay!! 

With Maxx, stop looking at individual sack numbers. Those come and go. He pressures the QB at a very high rate. The Raiders secondary was/is awful. When the coverage improves, those pressures will turn into sacks. 

Graham will put him in position to be successful and effect the QB. Maxx is 24. His best football is in front of him. You keep players like that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

There is no way Carr genuinely believed that, even if the Raiders told him it. He’s not a moron. People on this forum will believe anything they hear. Just because a player says it doesn’t make it true. 

That goes both ways though.  This whole argument(right now) is based off of unsubstantiated reports.

Pot meet kettle.

12 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Yeah ok. We made him highest paid qb in league but he took a discount. Ok bruh. If you say so. Mahommes and Allen took discounts to cause I'm sure some team would have made them the highest above the highest paid qb. All these qbs that get paid are taking discounts I guess. SMH. 

Too be fair, he was highest for what, a day? 

• Like 1

I think we also have to remember that this is just the way this works.

The cap dropped 8% this past year because of moneys lost with Covid.  With things settling down and new TV deals the cap is going to skyrocket over the next 5 years.  Starting with next years being at 208.2, up from 182.5.  

The NFL will get back to it's usual 10 million+ cap jump each year going forward and players will continue to get paid more and more.  Soon we will be saying so and so isn't worth $50 mil a year.  

• Like 2