The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. We can look back at the disaster that trade was but at the time, I could understand why  Gruden would think that. Substitute the players, what GM wouldn’t think about that trade?

Gruden at the time felt like a we were getting a

Top 5 RT

Top 1-3 NFL WR

solid #2 WR

starting CB

starting LB

Two 1st round picks

additional draft capital 

For defensive POY Khalil Mack

I was okay with the trade after thinking about what we got and how we could transform our team.  Every single one of those FAs were overpaid except Burfict.  I was cool with Burfict because he new how to run the system.  Defense looked different with him in there.  TB I was happy about until I saw the contract.  AB I wanted nothing to do with. TW was overpaid.  Joyner was played out of position the entire time.  We had discussions in here from year 1 on how he should not be covering the slot.  He was also overpaid as a slot CB.  Then they completely screwed up the draft.  All of this was not hindsight.  We have been pissed off the entire time.

We also gave back draft capital including a 2nd.  When you break it down we got less then 2 #1s.

2 1st, 3rd, and 6th

for

Mack, 2nd, and 5th

Plus they screwed up the timing of the trade so all the picks you would value as one round later. If you really break it down using the idea that picks a year out fall in value by 1 round the trade looks like this:

2019 1st = a 2018 2nd, 2020 1st = 2018 3rd, 2020 3rd = 2018 5th, and 2019 6th = 2018 7th

for

Mack, 2020 2nd = 2018 4th, and 2020 5th = 2018 7th

This is a simplistic way of looking at it but in 2018 value, which is what you should use because the Bears got Mack at the beginning of the 2018 season, the trade breaks down as:

2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th

for

Mack, 4th, 7th

So we valued Mack at less than a 2nd and a 3rd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

49ers have holes on the DL…? I don’t think so. Second half of the season and the playoffs they had the best DL in football absolutely obliterating OL’s. 

If Trey Lance progresses, they are a Top 2-3 Super Bowl contender this season. 

When I said “they” I was speaking about the Raiders. I agree that the niners will be a dang good team if Lance takes that step. 

Keyshawn Johnson predicting Jimmy G ends up in Vegas and Carr goes to New Orleans. 

Jimmy G for 26/mil per year for 2 years plus a couple 1st round picks. Or Carr at 40+ million?

Jimmy G knows the offense, would be a cheaper alternative for 2 years while grooming someone. I might consider it..... you're not winning a Super Bowl in the next 2 years paying Carr 40+ million anyway. 

Only way I extend Carr 40+ million is if I'm confident I can compete for a Super Bowl in the next couple years. The Raiders don't have that kind of talent. They don't have a window, their window is probably 2-3 years away if they draft really well and JM is a worthwhile coach.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Keyshawn Johnson predicting Jimmy G ends up in Vegas and Carr goes to New Orleans. 

Jimmy G for 26/mil per year for 2 years plus a couple 1st round picks. Or Carr at 40+ million?

Jimmy G knows the offense, would be a cheaper alternative for 2 years while grooming someone. I might consider it..... you're not winning a Super Bowl in the next 2 years paying Carr 40+ million anyway. 

Only way I extend Carr 40+ million is if I'm confident I can compete for a Super Bowl in the next couple years. The Raiders don't have that kind of talent. They don't have a window, their window is probably 2-3 years away if they draft really well and JM is a worthwhile coach.

Saw that also except jimmy g only wants 20mill I’d rather keep mm but meh we’ll see

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I don't care how cheap Jimmy is... dude is average at best. And fragile as can be. At least a good thing about Carr is he has been one of the most durable QB's in the NFL. Carr is at least a Top 15 QB while Jimmy is 17-19 at best. 49ers have two Super Bowls with any Top 12 QB IMO. Jimmy was just god awful in that Super Bowl, and god awful the entire 2021 playoffs. 

Edit: I'd rather sign Marcus to another 2 years and draft a QB in the 1st than trade for Jimmy. 

Edited by BayRaider

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I’d rather tank than have jimmy be the starter. I’d rather have mariota personally. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don't care how cheap Jimmy is... dude is average at best. And fragile as can be. At least a good thing about Carr is he has been one of the most durable QB's in the NFL. Carr is at least a Top 15 QB while Jimmy is 17-19 at best. 49ers have two Super Bowls with any Top 12 QB IMO. Jimmy was just god awful in that Super Bowl, and god awful the entire 2021 playoffs. 

Edit: I'd rather sign Marcus to another 2 years and draft a QB in the 1st than trade for Jimmy. 

Yeah i think Jimmy is closer to bottom 5 than to the top 12-14 guys. Sf is such a qb friendly offense, he would crumble in a less good place imo.