The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I was literally the first person who was in Carr's corner. Wanted to draft him in 2014. If you extend him at 40 mil, he better compete for a Super Bowl. That's all I'm saying. I don't hate him, don't love him.

Yes, I was one who thought they could trade him and draft Allen (18), Herbert (20). I still stand 100% behind that. 

I remember you liking Carr when the Raiders drafted him. Didn’t you also like Manziel as well? I’m not taking a shot at you or anything, half the forum wanted him at 5. 

I’m also not surprised the Oregon fan liked Herbert. To bad you didn’t miss on that. 😂

• Like 1

Can't remember how many times people said they wanted Manziel but when asked why, they gave the intangible line "he has the IT factor" like that means something lo

In an honesty, discussing whether someone was high on someone who was a bust isn't relevant bc everyone liked people who weren't and didn't like people who became stars. No one is immune to that. Yes, some things are more asinine than others but in a general sense, trying to discredit someone's opinion bc they were wrong about a prospect (not saying that's going on here) is pointless. Now if there's a pattern....... well..... Lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Can't remember how many times people said they wanted Manziel but when asked why, they gave the intangible line "he has the IT factor" like that means something lo

In an honesty, discussing whether someone was high on someone who was a bust isn't relevant bc everyone liked people who weren't and didn't like people who became stars. No one is immune to that. Yes, some things are more asinine than others but in a general sense, trying to discredit someone's opinion bc they were wrong about a prospect (not saying that's going on here) is pointless. Now if there's a pattern....... well..... Lol

We all are gonna have hits and misses, agreed, so it’s kind of redundant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

crazy he gave up millions and a NFL career because he let partying take over his life. 

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

crazy he gave up millions and a NFL career because he let partying take over his life. 

Nah, he was just never going to be good enough to be an NFL player. When watching him play, I felt it was very clear but everyone is different

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Manziel was the anti Josh Allen from Kentucky because he had big hands for his size.  That is why he was a great prospect and Josh Allen sucked.  We get some funny takes around here sometimes.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

@Frankie2Gunz “I say Josh Allen goes 1” does not mean you had Allen as your #1 QB. It just means you thought he was going #1. And Allen was rumored to go #1 until the final 12 hours or so where it was rumored to be Mayfield. Do you actually have a ranking of your 2018 QB’s? If you did have Allen, props on you. I personally thought it was an underwhelming class. I had Darnold #1 but wasn’t that high on him, and kind of hated everyone else. Hated Allen/Rosen. Was meh on Baker, thought he would be an average starter, which he basically is. 

I had been saying that Allen was the best QB prospect in the class for months.  He had all of the skills one looks for to be an elite QB.  

"I say Josh Allen goes 1" was because I knew he was the best QB in the class and he should be going number 1.  I don't listen to the TV talking head stooges so I have no idea what the current rumors were.  Allen was the only QB in the class that I liked.  

I have also never created a big board and never will.  I do not have enough time to adequately research all of the 1st round players. 

What I have been doing is picking a few players to evaluate who may be on the Raiders radar.  So far this season the players that I feel like will be good value if available at 22 are Wilson, Gardner, Booth and Williams.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

On 2/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, massraider said:

Teams renovate 60% of their roster in 3 years. 

One really good draft, and some decent free agents, and a team is a contender. 

I'm not a Carr guy. I think you can win with him, and you can win it all with him, but you won't win everything BECAUSE of him. He's not Mahomes, or Allen, or Rodgers.

I think he has to be on a darn good team, with good protection. No way does Carr bring the Bengals to the big game, getting sacked 9 times in a game. No way. 

But, since there are no Joe Burrows or Patrick Mahomes lying around for McDaniels to pick up, I am completely cool with Carr. They can win 10-11 games with him next year. They hit a home run with a new addition, or maybe hit a couple of doubles, and they can compete for the big one. 

I think this is the biggest issue with most fans these days.  They think that these handful of QBs can carry a team to a title with no help.  

I've been a fan for well over 30 years (I'm getting old)  and I've never once seen this happen.  The guys you mention also can't and for that matter haven't done it.  Hell they can't even do it with the loaded rosters they have.  So I don't understand where this sentiment comes from?

Just using those examples. Mahomes has never won anything on his own.  He walked into a playoff ready, division winning "team" and elevating them slightly to a contender.  That's a big deal, but all that means is that he's slightly better than Alex Smith was by winning more important late season games.

Allen hasn't won anything that I'm aware of.  Was really pulling for them to beat the Chiefs this year and should've.  He has progressed as their roster has progressed.  I now expect them to compete every year, but I have little faith they will ever get over the hump.  I can see a Philip Rivers/Chargers kind of career for him.  Not bad at all, but not what you say.

Rodgers. Probably the best QB of this generation.  That says quite a bit.  It also says a lot about the fact they only have one title in his career.  

Sorry to pick your post for this, but I'm just tired of this sentiment.  No QB has ever lead a team to the SB on his own.  Every SB QB has had plenty of weapons to use and/or an amazing defense to bail them out.  The years "great" QBs don't make it to the SB are the years that they didn't have enough help, see Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, etc.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Joseph was a big miss for me. I loved his ballhawking and play making ability at WVU. He was just too small for his body to handle it in the pros. 

Any player who disregards their body like Joseph, Jacobs, or Abram is not going to do well. Flashy hits is a thing to scout for the 90’s era of football, not now. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Any player who disregards their body like Joseph, Jacobs, or Abram is not going to do well. Flashy hits is a thing to scout for the 90’s era of football, not now. 

It wasn’t about the hits my dude albeit they were fun. Joseph had an eye for turnovers at WVU. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Nah, he was just never going to be good enough to be an NFL player. When watching him play, I felt it was very clear but everyone is different

he was no locked to be a superstar but he was dominate in college. I think he would have been similar to Lamar Jackson, maybe better. Not a perfect prospect but he was a baller in college 

22 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You're another one who is calling for Carr's head every offseason, making ridiculous statements about his trade value and who his replacements should be.  Don't kid yourself Carr is getting extended, that is a guarantee.  

Sorry franky, that’s just plain BS. BP has never “ called for his head” no more than I have. Period.

• Like 2