The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Didnt' even think of penalties. Is there a site that shows who had the most RZ penalties? I'd disgustingly like to see where we're ranked there. I will look it up after my next call when I have a minute.

I wish I havent found one yet, but I swear every time we were 1st and 1 Leatherwood would false start lol

23 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/redzone-passing.htm

Look at Attempts and TDs
Carr is 11th in passing attempts inside the 20, and and tied for 12th in passing TDs inside the 20.
Tied for 12th inside the passing attempts inside the 10, and tied for 11th in passing TDs.

It seems pretty obvious, that his lack of redzone TDs comes from attempts, pretty strong correlation right there. 

Yet me saying we run a lot in the redzone is labeled an excuse. It is pure statistics, the more opportunties you get to throw, the more TDs you end up with

The year before he was 7th in attempts and 18th in TDs inside the 20.  Want to know what barely change?  His attempts and TDs.  HIs TDs went from 15 to 17 and his attempts from 78 to 76.  HIs best year was 2016 with 19 and 90 attempts.  Since you want to argue it comes down to opportunities I will let you know that Carr ranks 24th in TD/Att out of the top 30.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Literally posters here claimed he was in “mvp” consideration due to yardage. Jtagg You can look it up or maybe some posters can own up to it to make your life easier 

i would say he was in the mix the first 5-7 weeks of the season, but not because of yardage. We were winning, he was putting up big numbers and had some big game winning drives.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The year before he was 7th in attempts and 18th in TDs inside the 20.  Want to know what barely change?  His attempts and TDs.  HIs TDs went from 15 to 17 and his attempts from 78 to 76.  HIs best year was 2016 with 19 and 90 attempts.  Since you want to argue it comes down to opportunities I will let you know that Carr ranks 24th in TD/Att out of the top 30.

Did you find a way to sort that? or do calculations yourself? Honestly just wondering cause I cant find it lol
Saw He had a better Td/ATT % then Josh Allen. . . and figured it would at least be around middle of pack.
But i didnt run all the numbers. Props to you if you did, I appreciate it. 

What was he ranked inside the 10?

I just think we rarely, if ever give him 3 shots at passing in the redzone. It is run, run pass far too often to me. 
Same thing when we used Mariota, I thought you should give him a series instead of just 1 play here and there. 

Carr gets us to the redzone a lot, I think we can agree, he moves the ball well between the 20s. Because of that, he should have a lot of attempts but we end up running on first down every time. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No one ever said it wasn't an issue, especially me. You have a huge problem reading the words that are typed. You seemingly just look at the screen and assume the words are what you want them to be rather than what they actually are.

Whatever you say jtagg

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Pff mentioned a Carr to Pittsburgh for this years first next years first and this years 3rd. It’s a total speculation nothing more, but if that’s a offer the Raiders get do you accept? 

I would absolutely accept that solely if we sign a stopgap and do NOT draft a QB from this class. Odds are, we'd be terrible and picking in the top 7 next year and we can get a solid prospect around that time to fill our need for a QB.

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Did you find a way to sort that? or do calculations yourself? Honestly just wondering cause I cant find it lol
Saw He had a better Td/ATT % then Josh Allen. . . and figured it would at least be around middle of pack.
But i didnt run all the numbers. Props to you if you did, I appreciate it. 

What was he ranked inside the 10?

I just think we rarely, if ever give him 3 shots at passing in the redzone. It is run, run pass far too often to me. 
Same thing when we used Mariota, I thought you should give him a series instead of just 1 play here and there. 

Carr gets us to the redzone a lot, I think we can agree, he moves the ball well between the 20s. Because of that, he should have a lot of attempts but we end up running on first down every time. 

Just cut and paste into an excel spreadsheet.  I did not calculate inside the 10 and already erased it.  Allen is a little bit better than Carr but not by much.  22.7% compared to 22.3%.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

also ill just add, while you say his numbers barely changed going from 15 to 17TDs on 2 less passes, It actually is a 3% raise which is pretty significant on these type of stats. Id imagine another 3% raise would put him top 15? But I dont have those stats. 

It would be close.  These stats very year to year but Carr has been between 12 to 19 his entire career.  He just does not score many TDs in the redzone,  I showed the improvement because it was said that the play calling sucked.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It would be close.  These stats very year to year but Carr has been between 12 to 19 his entire career.  He just does not score many TDs in the redzone,  I showed the improvement because it was said that the play calling sucked.

I was not a fan of our play calling. continuously ran the ball on 1st down. Threw a lot of WR/ TE screens. 
I dont believe run blocking was great, and when teams figured out we liked to run on first down we didnt have a lot of success. 

I think we did a terrible job of using Mariota, it was getting better towards end of season, but still think we couldve done better. 

Penalties were disgusting. Things get very tough in the redzone when you need to get 10+ yards. 

You see the players with the highest TDs numbers, will throw for it all 3 downs in the redzone. 
I wish we would do this more. 

Carr often would get 1 pass, and while I agree he is not elite in the redzone, I think in todays NFL you are better set to score passing then running. Then when you factor in our weak run blocking, and jacobs being hurt, I thought we needed to go pass heavy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Pff mentioned a Carr to Pittsburgh for this years first next years first and this years 3rd. It’s a total speculation nothing more, but if that’s a offer the Raiders get do you accept? 

I’d think about it, but probably not enough. Pittsburgh could make the playoffs again and I would only do it if you could swing a trade for Rodgers/Wilson, both of which would be very unlikely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

It would be unwise to trade Carr to an AFC team with a playoff caliber roster. If a trade were to happen, send him to the NFC. 

Rumor is Washington will give up pretty much any player and selection of picks to get a QB. I'd start there.