The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

The OL play, the play calling, the play designs...

None of it is good. 

Davante Adams has rushed 3 times for -1 yards. 

He now has -1 career rushing yards. 

He never rushed the ball in Green Bay. 

He also has a 10 yard sack. 

He never attempted a pass in Green Bay. 

So we've managed to use Davante Adams unsuccessfully as a runner and thrower. I wonder why? Probably because he's a WR? 

But yeah, it's Carr's fault. Lol. 

The offense is trash. It's gimmicky trash. And people are actually trying to deflect that 🤦🏼‍♂️

Wait, Adams has never attempted a pass or a rush until he got here and now he's done both in 7 games or however many it's been?? Yeah, that's a problem if true

14 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Wait, Adams has never attempted a pass or a rush until he got here and now he's done both in 7 games or however many it's been?? Yeah, that's a problem if true

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamDa01.htm

Unless I'm missing something....

Clearly Josh McDaniels has an idea of an offense that doesn't mesh with who we have. Guys are not being used to their strengths or best abilities. 

Which brings me back to what I've been saying:

Josh can't coach. 

If real life were Madden and you have Adams, Carr, Renfrow, Jacobs, etc- sure you could make it work. I made the Wing-T offense work in Madden 25 with Dennis Dixon, Jeremiah Johnson, Chris Polk, and LaMichael James (my Defense was so loaded it was ridiculous since I just traded virtually every offensive weapon I had away).

But real life isn't Madden. You can't just replicate Brady, Blount, Gronk, Edelman etc with Carr, Jacobs, Waller, Adams, etc just based on some OVR rating. That's what McDaniels "vision" appears to be, and for a professional HC.... that's sad. 

Edited by ronjon1990

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There are times when Carr does navigate the pocket well though. KC, he was fantastic at it. I feel like this happens most when the OL is basically non-existent like they were against NO b/c, let's face it, he was getting hit far more than he should've been and there were quite a few times where guys were in there almost at an instant. No amount of mobility will help in that situation. I can't think of a single QB in this league who would succeed behind this line. Others may disagree and that's fine. The age-old saying in "the games are won and lost in the trenches" still holds true to this day and we are certainly losing that part on the offensive side.

Agreed. That is what makes Carr frustrating. He's wildly inconsistent for a 9 year veteran. When he's dialed in and has protection, he can be a playmaker. 

When he starts feeling pressure, it starts getting to him and he folds. This is nothing new, it goes back to college. Early in his career I remember players in KC commenting that if you hit him, he will tap out. 

He tapped out Sunday. He needed to make a play for his team and played small. He's the leader on offense, always talking about "mamba mentality" but his game is soft.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree to an extent. 

There are a lot of QBs who can move out of the pocket, avoid pressure and are not afraid to take a hit trying to make a play. Then there is Derek Carr:

I get that you’re done with him bp, but to repost that sh*t? And I’m not even saying he doesn’t get shaky and nervous in the pocket.....at all! But it’s amazing how people can turn on a guy who once played 2 wks later after breaking a bone in his back. Meanwhile, let’s give Waller a pass? SMH, everybody is free to voice their opinion. At least carrs a gamer. Yes he turns into nervous nelly, and yes maybe sometimes I yell “get the eff up carr!!” But at least he’s playing...... what’s the meme for the now highly paid “no show” Waller?  You like to play devils advocate, and I’ve saluted that quite a few times..... but this? No F*cking sir!! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. That is what makes Carr frustrating. He's wildly inconsistent for a 9 year veteran. When he's dialed in and has protection, he can be a playmaker. 

When he starts feeling pressure, it starts getting to him and he folds. This is nothing new, it goes back to college. Early in his career I remember players in KC commenting that if you hit him, he will tap out. 

He tapped out Sunday. He needed to make a play for his team and played small. He's the leader on offense, always talking about "mamba mentality" but his game is soft.

I agree with this, but you should include the bonehead jmd, the o line, and the no -show. Then I’ll agree 100%. 

5 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I get that you’re done with him bp, but to repost that sh*t? And I’m not even saying he doesn’t get shaky and nervous in the pocket.....at all! But it’s amazing how people can turn on a guy who once played 2 wks later after breaking a bone in his back. Meanwhile, let’s give Waller a pass? SMH, everybody is free to voice their opinion. At least carrs a gamer. Yes he turns into nervous nelly, and yes maybe sometimes I yell “get the eff up carr!!” But at least he’s playing...... what’s the meme for the now highly paid “no show” Waller?  You like to play devils advocate, and I’ve saluted that quite a few times..... but this? No F*cking sir!! 

I don't think playing hurt and being shaky in the pocket are the same thing personally. I like Carr, but he has shown time and time again who he is. We've beaten this dead horse for years now. 

As for Waller, I'm about caught up with everyone on him. Getting really frustrating. Hoping he has a good back half of the season to redeem himself or I'm all in on getting rid of him. 

No sir I agree, they most definitely are not. And I’ve acknowledged those traits. I’ve always respected your posts, I just hated that meme/post. Was surprised you reposted that I guess bro. Nothing personal at all. That dead horse has been beaten into dog food and bone meal. I’m ready to move on for raider nations and my own sanity!! Lmao! But the others I mentioned ain’t getting a pass with me either, it doesn’t help that Waller is so stoic on the sideline either....lol! But this staff? Until jmd has a winning season I’m flippin beyond sceptical, those 2 back to back bonehead calls sum it up for me rt now. And graham doesn’t have a lot of talent, yes....100%. But how hard is it to load the box when hill was taking snaps? SMH! Like I said we ALL could feel that game going south. If I was given to conspiracy I’d say jmd wants carr to fail, would like to get higher in the draft for “his” QB, etc..... but I know that’s hot garbage....we’re in a crappy position 75% because of horrible drafting N FA from grudock. And 25% because of decisions made this year. (Jones, Waller, and OL and DL neglect/decision) at least we can just cut carr. Those other 2? That’s a different story. And unfortunately Waller has done a good job of making him difficult to trade rt now. Definitely a sh*tty spot for us.....THE FANS!!!!

• Like 1

Let’s face it , raider fans were fighting raider fans at the super dome Sunday. Owners got the team and the dough, players got the game and the dough.....and we get a perpetual sh*tburger...... that’s why I tell people all the time raider nation is die hard.....how can we not be after 20 yrs of this? SMH!!!  You’re either a die hard, or cracked in the brain pan if you’re still around!! 

Edited by Devilshark69
  • Like 1

For me it is not time to move on from Carr. We have him till the end of the season anyway so lets ride this and give him the season. If we make the playoffs (or maybe at the very least we are "in the mix" in week 18) and we can see clear progression in the system then I would keep him so we don't have to start over, if not it is time to ask him to let us trade him, and draft a QB, though I am not sure how Adams is going to feel about us trading his buddy and asking him to nurse maid a rookie.

As for Josh McD, good coaches flex their scheme around the players not try to put square pegs into round holes - even if he came up with a hybrid offense to slowly move over to the way he wants to call a game - he has clearly shown genius as a play caller in the past, maybe he is setting Carr up to fail with an offense not designed to Carr's strengths...I don't know.

Either way something has to give because 2-5, and being shut out is not acceptable for the talent we have.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Earlier in the game, sure I'd agree with his take 100%.  However, down 24-0 I'm really not concerned with "not taking the check down".  Everything is out the window at that point and you're trying to make something happen.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

The whole get half back is clearly not the mindset when all 3 of our wrs are going deep haha. 
I do wish he had just thrown right away to Moreau, lost a close FF matchup, and I think a 8 yard catch there wouldve done it for me lol

31 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

The whole get half back is clearly not the mindset when all 3 of our wrs are going deep haha. 
I do wish he had just thrown right away to Moreau, lost a close FF matchup, and I think a 8 yard catch there wouldve done it for me lol

I’ve stopped FF because I kept losing by point 0.1 or 0.2 points so I know your pain lol

• Like 1