The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Point is That carr isn’t on Alex smith’s level partly due to his fear or lack of running ability. 

Smith who's averaged 2600 yards and 14.8 TD passes per season over his 13 year is better than Carr (3,800 and 24) because he averages 7.5 more rushing YPG.  I now see your logic...  What was I thinking LOL.  Come on man, you really can't be serious....

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

57 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Smith who's averaged 2600 yards and 14.8 TD passes per season over his 13 year is better than Carr (3,800 and 24) because he averages 7.5 more rushing YPG.  I now see your logic...  What was I thinking LOL.  Come on man, you really can't be serious....

Lol Carr attempts at least 500 passes each year what do you expect. Alex has only done that twice. 

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:
4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Point is That carr isn’t on Alex smith’s level partly due to his fear or lack of running ability. 

Whilst Smith is clearly the better runner, I can see no argument that Alex Smith is a better overall QB than Carr. Carr is clearly the better QB IMO.

Tellingly, I think what should be noted is how much better Smith looked in Kansas than San Francisco with a better supporting cast and some great coaching.........  Night and day.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst Smith is clearly the better runner, I can see no argument that Alex Smith is a better overall QB than Carr. Carr is clearly the better QB IMO.

Tellingly, I think what should be noted is how much better Smith looked in Kansas than San Francisco with a better supporting cast and some great coaching.........  Night and day.

Smith had the skins at 6-4 before he got hurt. A supporting cast that has gone 4-18 after he got hurt. Im just saying. Dude aint flashy but he can win some games. 

Overall some QBs work better in different systems.  Andy Reid definitely makes a difference also.  This is why I believe lesser QBs can do better than Carr in our system and I think Carr would be amazing in other systems.  I believe what Carr needs most right now is a coach that can get in his head and unscramble his brain.  He just seems to have done the wrong things at the wrong times for a few years now.  He will do the right thing 90 percent of the time and then he will screw up or panic at the worst time.  Our offense seems to do well then it spirals.  The defense does this also.  Very frustrating to watch.  Seems the past 2 years we have been alright until halftime. 

48 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Smith had the skins at 6-4 before he got hurt. A supporting cast that has gone 4-18 after he got hurt. Im just saying. Dude aint flashy but he can win some games. 

Oh, I'm not saying he's a bad QB.....far from it. He's definitely a guy you can win with, as KC did for a few years and I've got a lot if respect for him. He's a decent QB and that Washington team on paper wasn't bad at all at that time, I expect them to have a pretty decent year if the ownership can get out if their own way. McLaurin is great and that defensive line is going to be top notch, very excited to see them in action as I was a big fan of both Payne and Sweat.

Carr also had us vying for the playoffs last season lest we forget until the last couple weeks when we were minus our starting RT, RB, RG, with the AB debacle,  WR1 and WR3 both hobbled and starting a couple UDFAs at WR if we're going to use that narrative though....... 

(Of course, I'm not putting it all on Carr as success or failure as I'm a firm believer in team performance)

57 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Overall some QBs work better in different systems.  Andy Reid definitely makes a difference also.  This is why I believe lesser QBs can do better than Carr in our system and I think Carr would be amazing in other systems.  I believe what Carr needs most right now is a coach that can get in his head and unscramble his brain.  He just seems to have done the wrong things at the wrong times for a few years now.  He will do the right thing 90 percent of the time and then he will screw up or panic at the worst time.  Our offense seems to do well then it spirals.  The defense does this also.  Very frustrating to watch.  Seems the past 2 years we have been alright until halftime. 

Interesting to hear what systems you think would suit Carr better and that he would excel in. The Patriots seem to be a very good fit to me, I think the Titans with their run game and playaction would be a great fit too......

Obviously we haven't seen the 'full effect' just yet of our system as we had the AB debacle last year and crucial injuries to the receivers but with the investments we've made I hope we can see lots of deep routes from Ruggs and Waller directly off playaction, plus a return to the back shoulder and fade throws we had plenty of success with in the past for Williams and Edwards and lots of quick crossers and slants to Renfrow and Ruggs. I dont think we'll see many long developing plays but I'm ok with that so long as we use playaction which should work well with Jacobs.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

He only played 2 full seasons with sf and they went 7-9 and 13-3

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Smith was benched for that victim, hack, bum Kap, who in his last season went 1 and 11 and was benched for Blane Gabbert lol 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Did you see him play though? Mediocre is an understatement for most of his time at San Francisco. 

Harbaugh took over in 2011 I believe and surprise, surprise the coaching and quality of the squad improved and the results improved. Smith didn't suddenly go from below average to superstar, he was still mediocre but the quality around him improved a lot. The fact that he was replaced the following year kind of backs this up, Kaepernick was pretty good but the team was quality by 2012 if I recall. In fact it made Kaep look very good when most people now would say he's not a great QB after all.

Smith went to KC and played and looked much better to me, he posted much better stats, got to the Pro Bowl a couple times though maybe he didn't quite deserve that. Theres definitely a correlation, poor teams and Smith looked pedestrian and below average. Very good teams with great voaches and suddenly he's in the Pro Bowl........

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Interesting to hear what systems you think would suit Carr better and that he would excel in. The Patriots seem to be a very good fit to me, I think the Titans with their run game and playaction would be a great fit too......

Obviously we haven't seen the 'full effect' just yet of our system as we had the AB debacle last year and crucial injuries to the receivers but with the investments we've made I hope we can see lots of deep routes from Ruggs and Waller directly off playaction, plus a return to the back shoulder and fade throws we had plenty of success with in the past for Williams and Edwards and lots of quick crossers and slants to Renfrow and Ruggs. I dont think we'll see many long developing plays but I'm ok with that so long as we use playaction which should work well with Jacobs.

If you go back a few days I said he would be great in the Patriots system when I was discussing Fitz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Smith was benched for that victim, hack, bum Kap, who in his last season went 1 and 11 and was benched for Blane Gabbert lol 

The “victim, hack, bum” who has more playoff wins than carr and a super bowl appearance. With the same “wr “ carr had in his glory year. That guy?

28 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Did you see him play though? Mediocre is an understatement for most of his time at San Francisco. 

Harbaugh took over in 2011 I believe and surprise, surprise the coaching and quality of the squad improved and the results improved. Smith didn't suddenly go from below average to superstar, he was still mediocre but the quality around him improved a lot. The fact that he was replaced the following year kind of backs this up, Kaepernick was pretty good but the team was quality by 2012 if I recall. In fact it made Kaep look very good when most people now would say he's not a great QB after all.

Smith went to KC and played and looked much better to me, he posted much better stats, got to the Pro Bowl a couple times though maybe he didn't quite deserve that. Theres definitely a correlation, poor teams and Smith looked pedestrian and below average. Very good teams with great voaches and suddenly he's in the Pro Bowl........

Carr isn’t the definition of “mediocre”?

I agree coaching and experience Changes a player hopefully for the better

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The “victim, hack, bum” who has more playoff wins than carr and a super bowl appearance. With the same “wr “ carr had in his glory year. That guy?

Haha 1 and 11 and benched for Blane Gabbert....  What more needs to be said than that. Boom