The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How do you know that Joyner or Nassib are wasted salaries before the season even starts? 

If Bowden camp reports was bad, nassib reports have been pretty terrible. Joyner is a sunken cost unless he improves greatly from last year. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Do not remind me.  That was one of the final straws for me and basketball.  Players salaries are stupid in basketball.  Everyone says who should get the money if the players do not.  I am not advocating for the owners to get more.  How about we lower the ridiculous prices and pay the workers a living wage.  For a family of 4 to go to a game it cost more than the average weekly salary.

and what, just give the owners even more morey? how does that make more sense?

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

If Bowden camp reports was bad, nassib reports have been pretty terrible. Joyner is a sunken cost unless he improves greatly from last year. 

Nassib reports haven't been terrible, the media has just said they haven't seen him out there much during the periods the media was allowed to observe practice. Maybe he's nursing an injury? But to say it's a wasted contract before he has even played a down here is a joke. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

How do you know that Joyner or Nassib are wasted salaries before the season even starts? 

Joyner was trash last year... 11m a year for a slot corner.. that’s a great use of cap space...”sense the sarcasm” 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

and what, just give the owners even more morey? how does that make more sense?

That is why I said I am not advocating for owners to make more.  I actually think they and the players should all make less. Concessions and ticket prices are crazy.  I may never take my family to professional games because of the price.  I think the reduced profit from owners and players should go to the fans.  Problem is people are willing to pay the inflated prices.  To top it off most of the stadiums where built using tax money.  Besides major events like the Olympics and World Cup I only watch football now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

That is why I said I am not advocating for owners to make more.  I actually think they and the players should all make less. Concessions and ticket prices are crazy.  I may never take my family to professional games because of the price.  I think the reduced profit from owners and players should go to the fans.  Problem is people are willing to pay the inflated prices.  To top it off most of the stadiums where built using tax money.  Besides major events like the Olympics and World Cup I only watch football now.

Where do you suggest the money goes? Networks pay the leagues for the content. Networks get a lot their money from companies advertising who are billion dollar corps etc. I understand your point but pros probably are underpaid because there is none of this without them

11 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Where do you suggest the money goes? Networks pay the leagues for the content. Networks get a lot their money from companies advertising who are billion dollar corps etc. I understand your point but pros probably are underpaid because there is none of this without them

Like I said the owners and players get less and the fans do not have to pay as much.  Also the workers at the games should get paid higher wages.  A persons wages should be a percentage of the cost of what they are selling.  If concessions are marked up 2-3 times greater than what you receive outside the venue the workers selling the marked up food and drinks should receive some of that price difference.  Problem is people are willing to to pay the prices and workers are willing to accept lower wages.  The owners vs players is a heart or brain argument. The pros would have no market without the owners and owners would have no demand without the players.  If the players wanted to leave the league and start their own they would not be able to afford it without seeking outside investment and therefore giving up total ownership.  Also the owners are still going to make money whether there is basketball or not.  The players will not come close to making what they do now.  Most players who get into business only succeed because of basketball.  They are recognized commodities.  Take away basketball and Nike would still be around but you probably would never of heard of Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:17 AM, drfrey13 said:

Your spot on with this one.  Sadly the game is too expensive for the average mom, dad, 2 kids to attend.

to be honest I’ve been to several giants games as my boss has great season tickets.  The stadium experience isn’t that great.... I’d rather watch on Tv to be honest.  Maybe it’s cuz it’s not the Raiders idk.  But yeah people should resist paying such crazy prices.

but it’s like having a hunger strike in prison.... it’s all good talk, until they yell chow and everyone gets in line “cuz it’s burger day”.  Good luck getting everyone to collude to bring down ticket sales.  

I also think the players get paid too much... and it really mostly goes to the QBs.  Idk the percentage but I’d bet off the top of my head 60% of the league makes under 1.5M per year.  Look at each teams salary cap breakdown.... 8-12 players make 8+M, that’s it.  I hate sounding like a Leftist but there needs to be “More income inequality”.... in the NFL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your spot on with this one.  Sadly the game is too expensive for the average mom, dad, 2 kids to attend.

to be honest I’ve been to several giants games as my boss has great season tickets.  The stadium experience isn’t that great.... I’d rather watch on Tv to be honest.  Maybe it’s cuz it’s not the Raiders idk.  But yeah people should resist paying such crazy prices.

but it’s like having a hunger strike in prison.... it’s all good talk, until they yell chow and everyone gets in line “cuz it’s burger day”.  Good luck getting everyone to collude to bring down ticket sales.  

I also think the players get paid too much... and it really mostly goes to the QBs.  Idk the percentage but I’d bet off the top of my head 60% of the league makes under 1.5M per year.  Look at each teams salary cap breakdown.... 8-12 players make 8+M, that’s it.  I hate sounding like a Leftist but there needs to be “More income inequality”.... in the NFL.

Football is one of the sports that I understand being paid more.  Their careers are usually very short and they absolutely destroy their bodies.  You can get injured in any sport but football is just on a whole different level.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Football is one of the sports that I understand being paid more.  Their careers are usually very short and they absolutely destroy their bodies.  You can get injured in any sport but football is just on a whole different level.  

Agreed. Which is why I’ll never understand the Baseball salaries. Like any job in life, a lot of the pay is because of risk. Doctor, Nurse, Electrician etc. The more riskier the job the higher the pay. 

Which is why Dana White, even though I love the guy, is robbing fighters blind in the UFC. They should be the second highest paid sport behind the NFL. They definitely need a Fighters Association. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Which is why I’ll never understand the Baseball salaries. Like any job in life, a lot of the pay is because of risk. Doctor, Nurse, Electrician etc. The more riskier the job the higher the pay. 

Which is why Dana White, even though I love the guy, is robbing fighters blind in the UFC. They should be the second highest paid sport behind the NFL. They definitely need a Fighters Association. 

I got a buddy with strong ties to the UFC and knows Dana White.  He tells me behind the scene stuff sometimes and unless you are a headliner you are underpaid.  Even as a headliner you can be underpaid.  They will eventually transition but the UFC is still a very young company and they have drastically improved the amount of money they get paid.

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree.... the NBA is crazy as far as salaries go.... young guys can have 1 good year as a backup and get paid 15+M on a multi year deal all guaranteed.  There have been really big contracts for some scrubs in the NBA for a long time and the salaries are only getting bigger with time.

nfl players have much shorter careers and non guaranteed... although draft picks get Signing Bonuses and veterans can get some guaranteed money.... but it’s a small percentage of the deal.  I’d like to see the lower and middle tier of guys make more money.... and the new CBA starts to do that but not enough.

in the nba Lebron/etc bring in ALL the revenue... they might make 35M but their worth 70M because no one watches or buys a ticket to see bench players (who make 5-10+M) or prolly 85% of starters.  It’s kinda the same idea of why Conor McGregor is worth idk 10M per fight while a guy ranked above him is only worth 500K.... Conor brings in 100M in revenue while the other guy prolly only brings in 500k.

In the NFL there really aren’t any players who are worth more then they pay in the sense that they drive revenue.  Even QBs.... their deals are inflated by The need of a good QB to win not necessarily from the revenue they bring in.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree.... the NBA is crazy as far as salaries go.... young guys can have 1 good year as a backup and get paid 15+M on a multi year deal all guaranteed.  There have been really big contracts for some scrubs in the NBA for a long time and the salaries are only getting bigger with time.

nfl players have much shorter careers and non guaranteed... although draft picks get Signing Bonuses and veterans can get some guaranteed money.... but it’s a small percentage of the deal.  I’d like to see the lower and middle tier of guys make more money.... and the new CBA starts to do that but not enough.

in the nba Lebron/etc bring in ALL the revenue... they might make 35M but their worth 70M because no one watches or buys a ticket to see bench players (who make 5-10+M) or prolly 85% of starters.  It’s kinda the same idea of why Conor McGregor is worth idk 10M per fight while a guy ranked above him is only worth 500K.... Conor brings in 100M in revenue while the other guy prolly only brings in 500k.

In the NFL there really aren’t any players who are worth more then they pay in the sense that they drive revenue.  Even QBs.... their deals are inflated by The need of a good QB to win not necessarily from the revenue they bring in.

I remember reading a study that believed the wearing of helmets did not allow fans and players to connect as much as other sports.  You cheer for the colors of your team in football and in other sports it is individuals.