Day 3 of 2020 Draft (New thread because Heinz D wanted one)

CBears019

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The man has only had 4 picks in the first 4 rounds in the last 2 years and if he uses those picks on OL then we don't have a starting RB last year and we still don't have a starting TE or CB this year. You can't fix everything. And he did get Idefi in FA.

Hindsight is 20/20 but if they stay put last year and take Singletary (who was and still is a better RB prospect than Montgomery) then they would've had a 4th this year AND had a starting RB.

I'm a believer in pass rush making corners better. Maybe they wouldn't have a starting CB next year, but they would have Toliver and if Quinn, Mack and Hicks are healthy, Toliver would be about average. Either way that CB will be the 9th or 10th best player on the defense.

The offense as a whole was pathetic last year. They've added no one young to groom these last 3 days and as I've now said 5 times, they're relying on an OL coach that wasn't working in the NFL last year (maybe for good reason?) to improve that.

I'm not expecting Pace to use a 5th or 6th or 7th on an OT who's going to be a star, but damnit, it's worth a try, right? Maybe Leno is better, Daniels is better and Massie is better, but what if they aren't?

1 OT in 6 years is not only inexcusable but borderline crazy. He seems to be admitting he stinks at drafting offense, and while I appreciate the honesty, honesty doesn't make the offense better.

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Once we didn’t go OL high we weren’t drafting any immediate starters anyway, and if you’re going to rely on developmental prospects to build your line you have let them actually develop. Churning developmental guys before taking the time to actually find out if they’re any good is a complete waste.

Why does this argument apply to OL but not to CB or WR?

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But they also seriously messed up the Bears. I mean...I'm pretty sure Pace was scoping out drafting Love if he fell. Love did, and Gutekunst beat us to the punch. 

Gutekunst may have just ensured the Bears have a complete front office and coaching staff makeover in the near future, with one simple move. 

That's certainly possible.  I'm just looking at it strictly from how it affects the Packers.  

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They addressed the immediate OL opening in FA. You just don’t like what they did. They added a 4-year starter they think can play RG. They added an experienced swing player behind the two OTs who were always going to be our starting OTs in 2020. I would have done things differently than they have, but I’m not going to act like they stepped on my **** because they didn’t do it my way. 

I agree adding fresh blood to compete would be a good thing but is anyone we add in round 5-7 going to be a notably better developmental prospect than Bars and/or Coward? The answer to that is only maybe. Definitely not a clear yes. Clearly Castillo, Pace and Nagy don’t think the guys available round 5-7 are better than Bars and/or Coward. 

Once we didn’t go OL high we weren’t drafting any immediate starters anyway, and if you’re going to rely on developmental prospects to build your line you have let them actually develop. Churning developmental guys before taking the time to actually find out if they’re any good is a complete waste.

They signed a couple of guys who are considered busts by their previous teams. One of them is constantly injured and bad.

You cannot develop OLmen unless you actually draft them. It needs to be a consistent process of adding guys to develop.

Pace has consistently over rated our in house options.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I want to word this carefully, as I don't have any vitriol from your post whatsoever.

So, okay...are you pleased with what has happened? Do you think Pace has navigated this year's draft well? Is there a logic to it that you can see?

Again, I'm not mad at you at all. Just wondering. 

The only pick I don’t understand is the 2nd corner. TE was a reach player IMO but one that makes sense for what we wanna do. Love the Jaylon Johnson pick. Immediate need filler with a guy nearly everyone says was a great value. Gipson fills a need with a high upside developmental edge depth at a cost I’m ok with. The speed WR was a clear need.

Outside of OL, which he addressed in FA (not as I would have, but it was addressed) he’s hit every need position I saw coming into the draft except for safety, and we have 2 picks left for that and even if we don’t hit it there there are several viable SS in FA that can be had on lower end contracts to compete with Bush or push him to SS2. I would have preferred Hightower to Mooney personally. 

How many teams have gone 2 drafts without investing in the OL?

Good teams constantly draft on the OL and develop. 

The OL was bad last season and this is a pretty lame response to that.

Our defense was good last season, but lets add 4 CBs in the offseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

The only pick I don’t understand is the 2nd corner. TE was a reach player IMO but one that makes sense for what we wanna do. Love the Jaylon Johnson pick. Immediate need filler with a guy nearly everyone says was a great value. Gipson fills a need with a high upside developmental edge depth at a cost I’m ok with. The speed WR was a clear need.

Outside of OL, which he addressed in FA (not as I would have, but it was addressed) he’s hit every need position I saw coming into the draft except for safety, and we have 2 picks left for that and even if we don’t hit it there there are several viable SS in FA that can be had on lower end contracts to compete with Bush or push him to SS2. I would have preferred Hightower to Mooney personally. 

If I have a bullet wound and you give me a band aid, it has not been addressed.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Do you think it's been a good draft?

If so, please expound and help convince me I'm wrong.

As I'd be much happier that way. :)

At this point, it has to be 2 things:

1) They think god's gift to OL coaching, Juan Castillo, will turn the existing group around

2) They are assuming Daniels, Leno, and Massie can't be worse than they were last year

If either 1 or 2 are incorrect, then it's a half *** effort to improve and it's inexcusable

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but if they stay put last year and take Singletary (who was and still is a better RB prospect than Montgomery) then they would've had a 4th this year AND had a starting RB.

I'm a believer in pass rush making corners better. Maybe they wouldn't have a starting CB next year, but they would have Toliver and if Quinn, Mack and Hicks are healthy, Toliver would be about average. Either way that CB will be the 9th or 10th best player on the defense.

The offense as a whole was pathetic last year. They've added no one young to groom these last 3 days and as I've now said 5 times, they're relying on an OL coach that wasn't working in the NFL last year (maybe for good reason?) to improve that.

I'm not expecting Pace to use a 5th or 6th or 7th on an OT who's going to be a star, but damnit, it's worth a try, right? Maybe Leno is better, Daniels is better and Massie is better, but what if they aren't?

1 OT in 6 years is not only inexcusable but borderline crazy. He seems to be admitting he stinks at drafting offense, and while I appreciate the honesty, honesty doesn't make the offense better.

There was no need to go OL in 2019. The OL was above average that year and 4 out of 5 of those starters will still be the starters this year.