5th year option picked up on Garrett and Njoku

ditchdigger

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Good! I'm glad we aren't giving up on Njoku. Supremely talented. Was raw coming out of college, so his early hiccups shouldn't be surprising.

I feel like Njoku has been on this team forever and I still have no idea how good he is as a player. I just constantly feel like hes going into his breakout Sophomore season

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Good! I'm glad we aren't giving up on Njoku. Supremely talented. Was raw coming out of college, so his early hiccups shouldn't be surprising.

He's 23 and has already proven that when healthy, he's an ELITE Red Zone threat. That alone warrants a $6 million option, not to mention potentially more on the upside department as well as Stef's 2 TE system. 

I think that it's very obvious that the FAU kid is going to be a flex/slot WR as opposed to a "true TE" for the next 2 years, which is exactly what a 240 pounder like him should be.

JMHO

• Like 3

From a Red Zone perspective, you can really have fun and get creative:

RB: Chubb/Hunt

TE: Hooper, Njoku, Bryant

WR: OBJ, Landry, DPJ

You can motion Hunt in and out of the backfield, you can motion Njoku out wide/into the slot, you can invert OBJ in the slot, and you can put Bryant/Njoku out wide inside the 5 and isolate them on a smaller bodied CB.

Lots of options and moving parts!

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's 23 and has already proven that when healthy, he's an ELITE Red Zone threat. That alone warrants a $6 million option, not to mention potentially more on the upside department as well as Stef's 2 TE system. 

I think that it's very obvious that the FAU kid is going to be a flex/slot WR as opposed to a "true TE" for the next 2 years, which is exactly what a 240 pounder like him should be.

JMHO

I don’t think it’s even like that. I just think they are going to use TEs a lot and often. We will see a lot of 12 and 13 sets. I think they are just building the depth of the position so it doesn’t go to hell if their is an injury. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:
26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

JMHO

I don’t think it’s even like that. I just think they are going to use TEs a lot and often. We will see a lot of 12 and 13 sets. I think they are just building the depth of the position so it doesn’t go to hell if their is an injury. 

Note the above "as well as Stef's 2 TE system".

I LOVE the selection of the drafts 3rd best TE (behind Trautman and Kmet in my rankings) when we got him.......I think top to bottom in the NFL it would be harder to find a young TE group with more upside then we have right now. Proven Commodity in Hooper, NJoku 1rst round pick with HUGE upside still (decent first year, almost doubled him production in year 2, Hurt 90% of year 3) and now the first TE from a non power 5 conference to win the Nations top TE award (Mackey).......That's 3 potential starters....for a team like a Redskins (I think Moss's foot is going to take a year...but WHAT A STEAL as an UDFA), all 3 of these guy's would be DAY 1 Starters there....based on what's currently on the roster and healthy....

Excellent contract pick ups and comments above.

Here's the devil's advocate version......

Myles was a no brainer. If we foolishly would have declined Njoku's option - wanna place a bet of how fast he would be wearing that gawd awful purple and black, or the coal black and piss yellow?