What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

Glad to see him playing so well, although it has only been four games,  what a difference a year makes. It's interesting to see how so many were calling him a bust after a few games and how LA needed to take a QB in the 2018 draft are now singing a different tune. Improving the offensive line, getting a coach who has a clue and adding some offensive weapons has certainly contributed to his early success.

6 hours ago, AntoekneeoTheGreat said:

Glad to see him playing so well, although it has only been four games,  what a difference a year makes. It's interesting to see how so many were calling him a bust after a few games and how LA needed to take a QB in the 2018 draft are now singing a different tune. Improving the offensive line, getting a coach who has a clue and adding some offensive weapons has certainly contributed to his early success.

I mean, he was atrocious beyond inconceivable his rookie year. Nothing he showed there even justified him being a highly drafted QB, let alone the #1st overall pick....

Jared Goff has somehow turned the corner. Props to McVay and Olsen for turning Goff from obvious bust to potentially a decent QB. But there's still 12 more games left to play, hopefully Goff can keep it up. 

5 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

Meh, its,week 4.

He's never going to be the next big thing.

If the Rams get good . he'll  be the Simms , Hostetler, Rypien type that gets to come along for the ride but never be in any top 10 or 20 conversation

Not even in the conversation for top 20? Really? xD

Whatever you say man.

16 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Jared Goff has somehow turned the corner. Props to McVay and Olsen for turning Goff from obvious bust to potentially a decent QB. But there's still 12 more games left to play, hopefully Goff can keep it up. 

Kid still can't get any love. xD

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Kid still can't get any love. xD

He's a #1 overall pick. I think the Rams gave him unwarranted expectations when they traded everything away for him. If he doesn't become Matt Ryan, he's a failure in people's eyes....

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

He's a #1 overall pick. I think the Rams gave him unwarranted expectations when they traded everything away for him. If he doesn't become Matt Ryan, he's a failure in people's eyes....

If Goff hadn't played a game last year, people would be anointing him as the next big thing after the way he's played this year. People jumped the gun, decided he was a bust, and are holding it against the kid.

The Rams didn't trade anything close to "everything" for Goff. They gave up a reasonable package considering the jump to get a franchise QB from #15, and none of us are regretting it right now.

Frankly, I don't blame people for being hesitant to make a commitment on him. I hope it's indicative of people learning their lesson for the mistakes made last year (but I don't think it is). However, it does bother me that Goff is playing at an incredibly high level right now, yet how many people are even willing to admit that the kid has a high ceiling? He's playing like a top 5 QB right now. Will he keep that up? Who knows. But he's a 22 year old QB. The fact that he's playing like this at such a young age should demonstrate the potential he has.

We as fans do have tendencies to get a first impression of a player and make it stick for a very long time if not forever. Goff looked bad in 2016 preseason, didn't dress Week 1 in 2016 on MNF at San Fran and struggled while not winning a game in his 7 starts in 2016. Idc what situation he was in last season and how things have changed drastically this season, people are stuck with the bad last season and won't adjust their way of thinking.

I personally doubt many fans stayed up to watch Goff at Cal. Cal was a bad team when Goff got there they improved every year Goff was there. I stayed up to watch Goff games and I remember the broadcasters saying the Goff was a top pick prospect during his junior year. That told me that he just didn't come out of nowhere in the draft. The Rams didn't just randomly saw him on tape and choose go trade up to get him.

According to reports at the time, the Rams loved Goff in the 2016 draft class more than any QB projected to be in the 2017 draft class and was willing to make that move. They knew they were essentially one QB away from being serious playoff contenders. Now it took Fisher to get fired and to bring in "real" offensive minded coaches and quarterback guru to make things happen, but we do see that Goff progression has the Rams looking like a playoff contender. So when people kept saying the Rams were rebuilding, I'm saying they just needed tweaking. They found their left tackle and center, they added a few reliable pass catchers and the got the right coaches. Now the Rams we have been waiting to see with all the talent they already had, they have arrived. 

Archived