What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

On 9/26/2017 at 2:31 PM, Crickett said:

It's amazing what you can do when you're not being coached by Jeff Fisher and don't have at best a bottom three if not the worst WR group in the NFL.  Right Sam Bradford and Case Keenum?

Minnesota is still testing and needs more test subjects. Jared Goff will be a Viking one way or another to complete the experiment.

NFL.com Illustration

In good company

Jared Goff's 118.2 passer rating through 3 games is the 2nd-highest mark by any Rams QB at this point in the Super Bowl era. The only QB with a higher rating after 3 games was Kurt Warner (125.0), in a 1999 season that resulted in MVP honors and a Lombardi Trophy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/LLPxhzRikwsIE/giphy.gif

On 9/26/2017 at 2:16 PM, TheVillain112 said:

Scheme + Additional Skill Position Talent (Watkins + Woods + Kupp + Everett) + General progression from Year 1 to Year 2 + Improved OL (Miss you Whit).

Defenses will adjust though.  Should really know what he's made of the last 6 games of the season...

Agreed. But you also missed "sub-par" opposition.

He was in the worst position possible for a rookie QB last year. Bad coach, bad scheme, lack of quality targets, bad o-line and no chemistry because he got his first start mid season,  right about the time the rest of the offense was done and mailing it in. Everything has changed. Better coach, better scheme, better targets, better line, better chemistry and players that are fighting to win.

I wasn't anywhere near writing him off after last season. I'm not about to coronate him after 3 games this season either. Not against that competition. But I liked what I saw last season (under those circumstances) and I like what I have seen this season. I think most Rams fans that didnt have an axe to grind with the team, the coach or the trade, saw a lot of potential in Goff last season. Sure... the stats were dismal. But they were guaranteed to be dismal. If you watched him, and watched how he responded to all that adversity, you couldnt help walking away from the season feeling like we might have an actual franchise QB.

Will he end up being that guy? Time will tell. He is progressing. I am pleased. But I am very measured with my evaluation this season. Bad teams make opposing players look better than they are all the time. I think he can be as good as he looks, and better. It just depends on the development.

I actually threw Kirk Cousins to the bench and decided to start him in one of my FF leagues.  So far it's working out good for me.

Today was a huge win both for Goff and for HC McVay who if he gets a winning season period even without playoffs should easily run home with the coach of the year award.  Hands down what he's done for the Rams is starting to turn into the reincarnation of the Greatest Show On Turf ... or grass now but still, Rams offense on a rampage and stealing headlines.

Todd Gurley becoming  (Zeke Elliot from 2016) has aided greatly in Jared Goff becoming last year's version of Dak Prescott. Amazing what a Real Running Game can do for an organization/QB. Let alone not Not having Jeff Fisher as your HC.

Great coaching plus they upgraded the talent around him. I think he will have a great season and Rams will be fighting for a playoff spot. It helps when you have an OL that can actually block for once. Watkins, Gurley, Kupp, and Everett are going be nice toys for Goff to grow with for years to come. I think McVay has a great season just because of the unknown factor, we'll see if he can keep this up like Jay Gruden has so far. Rams fans have plenty of reasons to be happy.

Archived