Does more need to be done?

Heinz D.

I question a lot of stats.   But this chart shows an indisputable very big reason why Bears O sucked last year.  https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/explosive-play-rankings--off-.html

There is a very old adage in football that speed kills.  And people still say it because it is true and always will be unless they change rules to make it different.

Now in NFL it is a little different than other levels of football because everyone is fast.  So in order to be a killer in speed you have to be Moss or Hill.  Elite fast.  

Bears O exhibited very little speed last year.  Cohen had his worst year.   Robinson, Montgomery and Miller are not slow, but not speed players either and Patterson is a bit player for reasons.  Oh yeah and our TEs are slow as well and our O line was bad lat year.  So we had that going for us, which is nice.   

That being said it is good to add Ginn and Mooney who are fast, but Ginn is old and Mooney is small and a rookie.  We’ll see how much they bring to table.  You also need time ( O line) and a QB who can deliver.   We added 1 piece to O line and possibly a new QB.  We’ll see how it goes. 

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

‪Robinson 4.6‬
‪Miller 4.5‬
‪Ginn 4.3‬

‪Averages out at 4.46‬

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 9:16 AM, dll2000 said:

I question a lot of stats.   But this chart shows an indisputable very big reason why Bears O sucked last year.  https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/explosive-play-rankings--off-.html

There is a very old adage in football that speed kills.  And people still say it because it is true and always will be unless they change rules to make it different.

Now in NFL it is a little different than other levels of football because everyone is fast.  So in order to be a killer in speed you have to be Moss or Hill.  Elite fast.  

Bears O exhibited very little speed last year.  Cohen had his worst year.   Robinson, Montgomery and Miller are not slow, but not speed players either and Patterson is a bit player for reasons.  Oh yeah and our TEs are slow as well and our O line was bad lat year.  So we had that going for us, which is nice.   

That being said it is good to add Ginn and Mooney who are fast, but Ginn is old and Mooney is small and a rookie.  We’ll see how much they bring to table.  You also need time ( O line) and a QB who can deliver.   We added 1 piece to O line and possibly a new QB.  We’ll see how it goes. 

The lack of explosive plays comes largely from the fact that our skill players are only good in open space and are not very good at shedding or avoiding tackles after the catch.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

On 6/6/2020 at 4:44 PM, abstract_thought said:

In his last few years, Kaep was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. He was borderline unplayable.

He might be able to find a backup role, but will he accept that? Will any team want to invite that kind of media circus for a player they're not planning to start?

Are you guys crazy?? Flacco just got signed AGAIN haha....so did Chase Daniels

I dont want to go super deep in to this(as Akeem didnt either) but the Kap black balling is not even up for debate, Super Bowl QB's dont just get kicked out the league like that.....also, to Akeems point, Mike Glennon just signed with the Jags hahahaha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I dont want to go super deep in to this(as Akeem didnt either) but the Kap black balling is not even up for debate, Super Bowl QB's dont just get kicked out the league like that.....also, to Akeems point, Mike Glennon just signed with the Jags hahahaha

He's probably better than Mitch or Nick, but even so wouldn't make sense for Bears with this off-season

That 9ers team was BAD at the end

7 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Kaep was statistically worse than Flacco in his last several years as a starter.

Flacco was signed as a backup. Daniel was signed as a backup. Glennon was signed as a backup. Do you see why teams would be less likely to sign Kaep as a backup given how much attention he would receive and how that may become a distraction to a team?

8 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Kaep was statistically worse than Flacco in his last several years as a starter.

Flacco was signed as a backup. Daniel was signed as a backup. Glennon was signed as a backup. Do you see why teams would be less likely to sign Kaep as a backup given how much attention he would receive and how that may become a distraction to a team?

Oh boy......

Bruh.....Im gonna be the bigger man and say lets get to the topic at hand....you literally just argued why Glennon and Daniels should be signed over Kap because of "attention he receives"

You think he silently kneeled for "attention".....thats the issue in a nut shell

This forum doesnt allow talk of race, not even sure why you are forcing the issue here

Edited by MonserinNC

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Oh boy......

Bruh.....Im gonna be the bigger man and say lets get to the topic at hand....you literally just argued why Glennon and Daniels should be signed over Kap because of "attention he receives"

You think he silently kneeled for "attention".....thats the issue in a nut shell

This forum doesnt allow talk of race, not even sure why you are forcing the issue here

I was raised being told that any time you have to say you're being the bigger man, then you're really not. 

Abstract never mentioned race, you did like 2 weeks after the comment was made. He talked about his ability to play and the circus that follows him. Both are legitimate reasons and both are 100% allowed to be a topic here. 

You also realize he had a contract offer to start for the Broncos and turned it down because he wanted more money (when they tried to trade for him)? Clearly he overvalued himself and screwed himself over. Kneeling isn't the issue at hand, it's the fact he is an idiot who parrots others' comments with little understanding of the implications of what he is saying.

Tebow wasnt a good QB either but was good enough to stay in the league. But the distractions that came with him took him out of the league. With Daniel there were no distractions. Same with Glennon. They're just mediocre. Kaep is a better but still mediocre QB who consistently made laughably stupid remarks that were absolutely distractions (supporting Castro while it completely undercut the majority of his "beliefs" or his comments after the death of Soleimani for example). 

Now let's be real here, teams always look at risk vs reward before signing payers, especially QBs. Kaep goes in and loses a QB battle to a white QB (as the majority of QBs are), and the owner is white (clearly the majority are here too). Do you honestly think he would accept losing a fair fight or that they (along with any potentially white HC or OC) would be a target for him. Is that worth a mediocre reserve QB? What about the friction that gets caused when coaches and players see the fans chanting for the poor back up QB to supplant the better QB (as Tebow's fans often did). Or if he loses out and does keep his mouth shut, do you expect his lunatic GF to? She cost him the reserve role in BAL remember? There is just little to gain in the terms of wins or losses that he can offer, so any baggage is magnified.

The NFL is a pretty soulless league. If production is there they will turn a blind eye to most things. Look at what Antonio Brown was accused of, he still got a chance in NE before things piled up and likely will get another shot. Same for the accusations for Big Ben and multiple others. 

Kaep isn't getting a deal because he sucks at the position and isn't worth the headaches he could potentially cause. If he was a 3500 yard, 25 TD QB he'd have been signed. But he is an aging QB that never developed and relies on his legs more in his last few years than he did his first few. At most right now he can attract fans for a team that lacks a real fanbase, but even they will turn on the team that keeps losing.

I mean seriously, you realise 2018 Tru was better than ANY season Kaep has ever had right? But at 32 and after 3 years out of the league he is expected to be better and more developed QB? Come on... 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:29 AM, MonserinNC said:

You forgot the media circus part.  

You better be all world if you are bringing a bunch of non football attention to a team. 

Do I think Colin Kaepernick is one of the 96 best quarterbacks out there? Yes.

Do I think he's better than Mike Glennon or Chase DANIEL (and for god's sake it's Daniel. Stop adding the f***ing S at the end)? Yes.

Do I think, as a fan, I want all of that noise around my team, everytime a poor throw is made or everytime the offense struggles? No.

Do I think a front office would want constant attention around my team, every other question being about QB2 or QB3? No.

Do I ultimately think a team signs him? Yes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Do I think he's better than Mike Glennon or Chase DANIEL (and for god's sake it's Daniel. Stop adding the f***ing S at the end)? Yes.

Do I think, as a fan, I want all of that noise around my team, everytime a poor throw is made or everytime the offense struggles? No.

Do I think a front office would want constant attention around my team, every other question being about QB2 or QB3? No.

I'll just call him Chace instead, just for you! 

😰
3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'll add 2:

Do I think it's fair that Colin Kaepernick was intentionally shut-out by the entire NFL based on his protest? No.

Do I think it's fair that individual teams decide not to sign him based on the potential risk and reward? Yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If Covid weren't a thing than that might be true because it would be biggest story in Fall.

As it is they won't unless it is a wink wink arrangement where franchise or owner is getting something out of it on the side and likely behind the scenes.  

No GM or coach wants him for reasons that have been cited ad nauseam. 

DIdn't they pay him many millions in lawsuits settlement for not playing him?  Now they are going to play him after that?  They would have to figure out how that is going to work.  That won't sit well with a lot of owners.  

All that talk will mostly go away with all upcoming Covid discussion of should we or shouldn't we do this or that.   That is the bigger fish to fry at the moment for NFL unless new riots start in Fall.  

Whether they can open their stadiums or not and if they do open whether they can stay open when flu season hits and people start getting sick in very large numbers again.

Every single person in country that dies during football season will be a story if football is being played and stadiums are open.  I am not sure they can handle that pressure and criticism.  

If they play in empty stadiums then revenue dip should make things very interesting for future cap.  

On 6/6/2020 at 1:04 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah, I truly understood his point. The same way I have heard these other conspiracy theorists from fans and such that he just wasn't picked up by any team STRICTLY because of his in-game protest, and that's not true, imo. 

He was a flash in the pan, terrible QB bottomline. Once defenses figured him out.....he was well below average. Now, did his protest keep teams from wanting to avoid the headlines that would come with signing him? Absolutely. But in no way, shape or form do I believe that THAT was the ONLY reason. 

No, it was not the only reason but I think we might agree that it was the main reason.  No one wanted the potential disruption 'til now when it came and parked itself squarely in the NFLs front yard......and more recently it has.

My position is that Kap could have found a role somewhere and had he possessed the talent of a Mahomes, a Watson, or a Prescott how then might the NFL have dealt with him?

NFL owners and families are some of the most conservative individuals and business owners on the planet.  They have to be constantly prodded to make changes in the game to keep it advancing in popularity.  In their eyes they have a well oiled electric motor with some pretty indestructible bearings so all they want to do is just plug it in each fall and keep it running smooth.  Guys like Kap are like sand in those bearings and that is not allowed.

They could have dealt with this head on several years ago but that's not how they do it there.  The CBA is about the only thing they ever deal with head on an even that only in this last decade.  Otherwise they pretty much have to be forced into changes, especially social change.  This is not an organization of progressive thinkers.  Far from it.

• Like 2