Your favorite iteration of the NFL on television.

TecmoSuperJoe

Best iteration of NFL on television in any era for me. I loved **** Enberg, and Simms as a color guy was passable. The only thing that sucked was Paul Maguire. Can't stand him. But the atomposhere set by NBC with it's Randy Edelman theme (always sounded like something played at Christmas for me), and their graphic cards on the broadcast were great in my opinion. Sucked when they lost the AFC to CBS in 1998 I think it was. Their other broadcasting teams were hit and miss for me, but the presentation was too good to turn down. 

After that I think MNF on ABC from 1986 until 1997 with Al Michael, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf was money. Especially with that first season in 1986. I felt the two man crew was great with only Michaels/Gifford. Dierdorf was a nice addition, but it was like too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe I'm just not a fan of three men in the broadcasting box, which is funny because NBC did this in the mind 90's themselves frequently. All three were still dynamite though. Of course the downside is that it was only one game profiled weekly. Sucked that Gifford essentially nuked himself out of a job with that scandal, and the trio was broke up for Al Michaels and Boomer Esiason, yikes. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

After that I think MNF on ABC from 1986 until 1997 with Al Michael, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf

I don't know if it was my age at the time, but this is the one I always love for some reason as well

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

FOX with Madden and Summerall will always sound like my childhood.

Bingo. Madden was so animated, Summerall was so subdued - it was excellent, they just fed off of how opposite they were.

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

MNF crew with Michaels and Gifford. And I guess DD but whatever.

FOX with Madden and Summerall will always sound like my childhood.

I hated Madden even as a youngster. Always loved Summerall though. 

I like Madden and Summerall just as much as the next person but let's be honest here, they were only great from a nostalgic standpoint. If you go back and listen to them now, since we're older, they were very bland for the majority of their games.

Madden ofcourse was always very charismatic and brought a certain charm to the game and made it easy to understand at times, which was great. But looking back at it years later only shows how limited he was compared to now. 

21 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I like Madden and Summerall just as much as the next person but let's be honest here, they were only great from a nostalgic standpoint. If you go back and listen to them now, since we're older, they were very bland for the majority of their games.

Madden ofcourse was always very charismatic and brought a certain charm to the game and made it easy to understand at times, which was great. But looking back at it years later only shows how limited he was compared to now. 

If Madden and Summerall were calling games like that today, they would be getting killed like Joe Buck does. Especially Summerall. I due think because of nostalga, and people wanting to seem cultured, they both get a pass. Which is why Buck doesn't as he works in modern times. Madden did change his style and wasn't as exuberant like he was earlier in his career. So he did change with the times to a degree when he hooked up with Michaels. For me, even in their prime they were more a slow burn compared to Enberg, Olsen, Lundquist, and Criqui.

Edited by PapaShogun

I think Collinsworth is highly under-rated. He really knows his stuff and always has interesting insight into a play. 

Romo is the clear cut best color man on NFL television right now. Man is charismatic and a student of the game. When he called each play of the Patriots OT win in KC in 2018 was amazing. 

I'm not sure I care too much about the overall broadcast. I've always preferred CBS's presentation to Fox's, but I've also always assumed that's just because CBS has historically carried far more Chiefs games, so I associate the two. And then there are some things I have nostalgia for, like the Madden/Summerall and Madden/Michaels duos, the Fox robots, Chris Berman's recaps, that weren't actually good, they just carry a lot of nostalgia that props them up.

I will echo what so many have said, that Romo is freaking fantastic. And I hope his presence and the reaction to him drives other future color commentators to step their games up accordingly and improve the overall product long term. For play-by-play, I'm a sucker for Kevin Harlan. Something about the man's voice just hits right. I don't know. And then he cemented his place as my favorite with his casting of the Chiefs/Chargers/Dolphins/Patriots week 17 situation.

I definitely don't like the Buck/Aikman duo. It just feels and sounds boring, to me. They aren't bad, just bland. I've never been able to stand Dierdorf, in any capacity. I also really don't like the Fox pregame crew. Always been a bunch of old dudes who think they're way funnier and way smarter than they are, to me. It's grating.

I can't really think of any old crews that stand out to me, to be honest. Probably just bad memory on my part, though.