Browns General Discussion

candyman93

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I can never remember a year where this forum has been so dead at this time of year.  It’s weird tbh.

2008 was the closest thing with us having traded our 1st to go up and grab Brady Quinn the previous year, and for whatever reason I don't think we had a 2nd either.

Listening to state sponsored media this am and they interviewed Woods and he said in his previous years as DC they’d run dime as much as 400 snaps per year (roughly 40% of all defensive snaps).

Last year we ran dime 16 snaps. 

To say we’re going to see a different defense this year is an understatement 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Listening to state sponsored media this am and they interviewed Woods and he said in his previous years as DC they’d run dime as much as 400 snaps per year (roughly 40% of all defensive snaps).

Last year we ran dime 16 snaps. 

To say we’re going to see a different defense this year is an understatement 

I read this as us definitively not going LB R1-3 unless it's a pure hybrid/star guy.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I read this as us definitively not going LB R1-3 unless it's a pure hybrid/star guy.

You could definitely be right, but I can’t think LB is out of the question day 2. 

It’s not a key position in this defense, but it’s still our weakest position group with the only competition being CB.

I do think it’s off the board with our first pick unless it’s paired with a trade down 

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You could definitely be right, but I can’t think LB is out of the question day 2. 

IF they feel confident about that guy being a 3 down player, it's a possibility. They have already acquired/already have on the roster their "2 down" guy in Walker with their pass coverage/rush guy(s) in Malcolm Smith and Takitaki, so I'm intrigued to see what route they go here. Harrison will likely be their "other" Nickel LB/hybrid guy and I anticipate him to play the good majority of all snaps regardless.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not a key position in this defense, but it’s still our weakest position group with the only competition being CB.

I do think it’s off the board with our first pick unless it’s paired with a trade down 

I will not be surprised if we get another S type based off of the scheme and overall philosophy. 

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

yeah i think the only guys we might draft in the first 3rds is JOK and Cox. Those guys would basically be the browns running a 7DB type scheme. 3DBs and 4 safety type players on the field. wanna stop Lamar, that might be a way.

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

It looks like they're going to make him "prove it" this year. I'm torn on this tbh. I'm tempted to extend him and pay him with the rising cap going up and his deal being a "steal" in a few years.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It looks like they're going to make him "prove it" this year. I'm torn on this tbh. I'm tempted to extend him and pay him with the rising cap going up and his deal being a "steal" in a few years.

well cant they still negotiate the extension but still have to announce they are still picking up the option?

I also strongly believe the FO has tried to start talking extension. it be bad business for Baker to talk or accept a deal at this moment unless its truly an amazing deal for him. he really needs to see Allen and Jackson sign first. where he could play-off of those deals to secure a better contract or watch those guys sign, reset the market outside of the mahomes deal, then go out and potentially out play them for the season and playoffs and he can flip that to a bigger and better deal.  

I dont think this FO is against him at all in any way. Depo was still in the building when they drafted him. Depo is the analytic guru and that draft season, Baker was the clear top QB off of analytics. you just never heard dorsey reference thst aspect because he was 100% the football guy

Edited by buno67

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Eh, Baker may know that too and is betting on himself.

I could easily see both sides being fine with being patient 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, Baker may know that too and is betting on himself.

I could easily see both sides being fine with being patient 

It's always a double edged sword. On the one hand, money shows respect and status, but on the other hand, it means having less talent around you at some point. Most quarterbacks (like Tom Brady) know this too, albeit TB12's wife is worth even more than him, so leaving several million on the table isn't as big of a deal.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You’re over thinking it. They could still extend him. This just guarantees his salary will be low next year.