Browns General Discussion

candyman93

We’re going to have 9 new starters on defense. Maybe only 8 depending on what they do with Sione.

Myles Garrett

Malik Jackson

Jordan Elliott

Jadeveon Clowney

JOK

Anthony Walker

Troy Hill (Nickle)

Greg Newsome

Josh Johnson

Grant Delpit

Denzel Ward

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We’re going to have 9 new starters on defense. Maybe only 8 depending on what they do with Sione.

Myles Garrett

Malik Jackson

Jordan Elliott

Jadeveon Clowney

JOK

Anthony Walker

Troy Hill (Nickle)

Greg Newsome

Josh Johnson

Grant Delpit

Denzel Ward

Harrison will rotate with the other safeties and even Walker based on the offensive personnel. The DL will (I assume) rotate a lot more with Clowney kicking inside and Takk at DE on passing downs. But this is generally what it will look like. We might get run on a little bit, but no worse than last year (and probably not even that bad) and this pass D is going to be intense.

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed. I also think Togiai will make Elliot a bench warmer.

You want to stop the run on early downs put Billings/Togiai in there... Whoof!

Gotta say, with their offseason so far, I don't think stuffing the run is close to the top priority. And DL is like the polar opposite of OL. With the exception of the true superstars like Myles, the more you can rotate, the better. I'd expect Billings, Elliot, Togiai, and Jackson to all get significant snaps. Assuming they all make the team. If Marvin Wilson is 2018-2019 Marvin Wilson, he's taking someone's spot. (Also interested in seeing if Curtis Weaver can make the roster.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FGK said:

Harrison will rotate with the other safeties and even Walker based on the offensive personnel. The DL will (I assume) rotate a lot more with Clowney kicking inside and Takk at DE on passing downs. But this is generally what it will look like. We might get run on a little bit, but no worse than last year (and probably not even that bad) and this pass D is going to be intense.

Gotta say, with their offseason so far, I don't think stuffing the run is close to the top priority. And DL is like the polar opposite of OL. With the exception of the true superstars like Myles, the more you can rotate, the better. I'd expect Billings, Elliot, Togiai, and Jackson to all get significant snaps. Assuming they all make the team. If Marvin Wilson is 2018-2019 Marvin Wilson, he's taking someone's spot. (Also interested in seeing if Curtis Weaver can make the roster.)

I'm not at all familiar with Marvin Wilson

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Myles Garrett

Malik Jackson

Jordan Elliott

Jadeveon Clowney

JOK

Anthony Walker

Troy Hill (Nickle)

Greg Newsome

Josh Johnson

Grant Delpit

Denzel Ward

I think the key takeaway is that all the new starters will be better than their predecessors.

That's big time improvement.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:13 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I'm not at all familiar with Marvin Wilson

He was getting mocked as a consensus first round pick in the offseason, and often a top 5-10 pick. He had back to back soph/junior years in 2018-2019 of a 90+ PFF grade and was generally considered the stud of this DT class.

Then 2020 happened and he crated. Whether he makes the roster or not is gonna be totally about why. Was he battling an injury he didn't tell anyone about? Was a family member really sick? Could he not handle the mental pressure from the pandemic? Did he catch covid without realizing it and it made it harder for him to catch his breath? Who knows.

1 hour ago, FGK said:

He was getting mocked as a consensus first round pick in the offseason, and often a top 5-10 pick. He had back to back soph/junior years in 2018-2019 of a 90+ PFF grade and was generally considered the stud of this DT class.

Then 2020 happened and he crated. Whether he makes the roster or not is gonna be totally about why. Was he battling an injury he didn't tell anyone about? Was a family member really sick? Could he not handle the mental pressure from the pandemic? Did he catch covid without realizing it and it made it harder for him to catch his breath? Who knows.

Yeah it was a funky year to say the least, so I think betting that he’s closer to the player he’d been literally every other year of his playing career isn’t a bad move.

Dude apparently looked fat in 2020 though, he needs to get that cleaned up if so.  I don’t get the sense we want a 320 pound DT. 

He’s imo similar to guys like Nick Harris or Curtis Weaver last year where you like the ability but they need to get their physical in order.  No more cafeteria food and keg beer, it’s time to lose the fat and look like an athlete.  That said, that’s a really easy fix if a guy is committed.

A big thing to watch is how this LB group is going to shake out come roster cut time.

They currently have Walker, Smith, Takitaki, Wilson, Phillips, JOK and Fields.

Hiiighly doubtful they keep 7 LBs on the 53. I think Wilson is probably be first in line to be cut followed by Smith maybe?

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

A big thing to watch is how this LB group is going to shake out come roster cut time.

They currently have Walker, Smith, Takitaki, Wilson, Phillips, JOK and Fields.

Hiiighly doubtful they keep 7 LBs on the 53. I think Wilson is probably be first in line to be cut followed by Smith maybe?

I think Mack is gone unless he shows a massive Jump in improvement

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I think Mack is gone unless he shows a massive Jump in improvement

Yeah, training camp is going to be huge for him to make a real impression.

The thing is, I think he can do it. I loved him coming out of college and think this might be the offseason where the fire gets lit under him that propels him to the next level as a impact player.