Browns General Discussion

candyman93

20 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think he’s good at contracts and trades. Horrible at everything else. He gave woods the worst possible corners to fit his scheme that he possible could with the exception of maybe Emerson. 

As it stands right now we have basically the same defense we had last year with a better DT and better DC. Tornhill isn’t making a difference.  Ogbo is at best a wash from what we had with clowney. Still the same horrible front 7 with a new 30 year old DT on a big contract. 

I'm not impressed with AB's drafting either, that's for sure. I think he's done decently in FA this year, though. I wish Haslam would invest in a lab where he could build a GM that marries the best qualities of AB and Dorsey...and then get himself electrocuted in the lab.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He can’t draft them though, that’s 90% of my point.

So, which guys are they supposed to have developed? Overdrafting Alex Wright and Tommy T then saying “develop them” doesn’t make sense to me. I want Berry gone, I legit am full Scrabble mode on him.

are we to believe the coaching staff had no input on the talent being selected?  Berry and the FO is just drafting dudes and told the coaches to make it work?

Winfrey was a guy many in this forum wanted in R2.  Togiai was a guy many liked in the area he was drafted.  Elliot was a wildcard.

Wright and Phillips were projected as mid rounders.  They went R3.  🤷‍♂️. I guess you could argue a round early or whatever, but that’s picking nits tbh.

JOK was viewed as a 1st rounder who we nabbed R2.  

Thomas and fields were late round projects we took late.  🤷‍♂️

Im not seeing the reaches tbh.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You complain he doesn’t address the DT position and when he does you complain he’s too old (he’s not) and on a big deal despite being one of the loudest voices in the room (selectively) about not caring about cap room.

Pick a lane.

I like the signing don’t get me wrong. It absolutely needed to be done. But there’s a lot of risk in signing a 30 year old DT on his first big deal. We’ve seen those guys quit when things get tough so many times. But my issue is that his signing isn’t nearly enough to cover the major issues this team had on the front 7. that’s basically the only hole he patched. Who knows what ogbo is gonna be. Hes had one good half season on his whole career playing against a crappy afc south. He might not even be better than what we had with clowney last year. And Tornhill is still going off potential. He’s average at best. Might not even be better than jj3. He’s been on a Super Bowl team his whole career that mask his problems. 

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

are we to believe the coaching staff had no input on the talent being selected?  Berry and the FO is just drafting dudes and told the coaches to make it work?

Winfrey was a guy many in this forum wanted in R2.  Togiai was a guy many liked in the area he was drafted.  Elliot was a wildcard.

Wright and Phillips were projected as mid rounders.  They went R3.  🤷‍♂️. I guess you could argue a round early or whatever, but that’s picking nits tbh.

Bunch of studs he’s drafted huh 

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

TL;DR

Fire Berry 

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I like the signing don’t get me wrong. It absolutely needed to be done. But there’s a lot of risk in signing a 30 year old DT on his first big deal. We’ve seen those guys quit when things get tough so many times.

“All he did was draft a guy, draft picks can bust..”

All he can do is sign and draft guys.  There aren’t surefire options here man lol.

But my issue is that his signing isn’t nearly enough to cover the major issues this team had on the front 7. that’s basically the only hole he patched.

We have one of the highest payrolls in the league and a slew of pro bowl/all pro talent.  We can’t just pay top dollar at every position.

Who knows what ogbo is gonna be. Hes had one good half season on his whole career playing against a crappy afc south. He might not even be better than what we had with clowney last year.

see above.  There aren’t bargain bin, proven stud DE available.

And Tornhill is still going off potential. He’s average at best. Might not even be better than jj3. He’s been on a Super Bowl team his whole career that mask his problems. 

Average FS play is light years better than what we had for much of last season.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“All he did was draft a guy, draft picks can bust..”

All he can do is sign and draft guys.  There aren’t surefire options here man lol.

We have one of the highest payrolls in the league and a slew of pro bowl/all pro talent.  We can’t just pay top dollar at every position.

see above.  There aren’t bargain bin, proven stud DE available.

Average FS play is light years better than what we had for much of last season.

That’s basically every gms job. The good ones draft good players the bad ones draft bad players. It’s looking like Berry is one of those bad ones.