Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FGK said:

You guys are just FIGHTING to make me come out of mod retirement. And I am not happy about it. We don't do personal insults. Keep it business.

I don't know that anybody has said he's a rapist. We have definitely said that he's a serial sexual predator who seemed to assume that his power would make it so that women would do whatever he told them to. Cheer for the guy as an athlete, okay, but it doesn't seem possible to me to think he's a solid human being. And we just don't have to make that case, we can love the team without pretending that everyone on it is a great person.

As to collusion and "they would've strung him up if they could", can I introduce you to the concept of "how our judicial system tends to treat the wealthy"? It's too big of a topic for a sports forum, but, "they didn't indict the mega-rich person" isn't a great proof of innocence, it's kinda par for the course. 

I have seen TONS of people who call him a rapist.  On ALL of the socials. And in my social groups.

Certainly lets leave the "how our judicial system tends to treat the wealthy" out when Bill Cosby's head on Watson's body is a constant meme anywhere he's mentioned.

Edited by MalcolmBrown
addition.

Watson as a human being has been covered considerably at length. Most people kind of know what he is and it’s gross. I think what is up for debate at this point is whether he is still the quarterback he was in 2020. No excuses this year. I hope he can lift this offense up. I have my doubts. What I saw in his performance against Pittsburgh in particular was startling. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Most people kind of know what he is and it’s gross.

What is crazy is how Michael Vick can repair image from his incident but we still continue to beat a dead horse to make talking points. From what I've seen since he's been in Cleveland has been a first class citizen and a hard worker on and off the field, and has done a lot of behind the scenes work in the city. I could not care less what he did with other teams. 

Also I notice the tone (although you didn't actually say it) that everything is on his shoulders and we all know it's a team game, you didn't mention but we also need guys around him to play at a high level right? We need Wills playing like a guy playing for a contract, we need guys like Jeudy playing like he is out to prove himself as one of the best receivers that came out of the 2020 draft, we need the defense to play like they are out to prove that 2023 wasn't a fluke.

Also while we are on the subject of Watson, what people don't realize is his performance in the Baltimore game could be a precursor of the type of playmaker we need to be able to get over the hump in a high level playoff game vs a team like the Chiefs. Roster wise we blow the Chiefs out of the water but they have the ultimate playmaker who can come up with big play after big play in the clutch, it sure looked like Watson had that gene going against a legit team and they had no answer. If he did it once, he certainly do it again 

We easily could be contending for a #1 seed especially if we get off to a great start like I anticipate, and I feel Berry did a wonderful job padding our 2nd and 3rd teams with guys who play if a starter goes down.  In addition, I feel like Vrabel will be a big help to Schwartz as far as keeping this gameplans and adjustments fresh. 

I feel our team is as good as any team out there and we should be viewed as a viable SB contender if everyone simply does their job at a high level.

On 5/31/2024 at 7:39 AM, MWil23 said:

Me, FGK, NateDawg, Mike, and Roger are on the realism train with Scrabble squarely on the fence.

That’s a fun dynamic here.

Mice you forgot my daughter she knows dushbag is a creep.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What is crazy is how Michael Vick can repair image from his incident but we still continue to beat a dead horse to make talking points. From what I've seen since he's been in Cleveland has been a first class citizen and a hard worker on and off the field, and has done a lot of behind the scenes work in the city. I could not care less what he did with other teams. 

Also I notice the tone (although you didn't actually say it) that everything is on his shoulders and we all know it's a team game, you didn't mention but we also need guys around him to play at a high level right? We need Wills playing like a guy playing for a contract, we need guys like Jeudy playing like he is out to prove himself as one of the best receivers that came out of the 2020 draft, we need the defense to play like they are out to prove that 2023 wasn't a fluke.

Also while we are on the subject of Watson, what people don't realize is his performance in the Baltimore game could be a precursor of the type of playmaker we need to be able to get over the hump in a high level playoff game vs a team like the Chiefs. Roster wise we blow the Chiefs out of the water but they have the ultimate playmaker who can come up with big play after big play in the clutch, it sure looked like Watson had that gene going against a legit team and they had no answer. If he did it once, he certainly do it again 

We easily could be contending for a #1 seed especially if we get off to a great start like I anticipate, and I feel Berry did a wonderful job padding our 2nd and 3rd teams with guys who play if a starter goes down.  In addition, I feel like Vrabel will be a big help to Schwartz as far as keeping this gameplans and adjustments fresh. 

I feel our team is as good as any team out there and we should be viewed as a viable SB contender if everyone simply does their job at a high level.

Mike Vick’s stuff and Deshaun’s isn’t apples to apples. Not my point though. He’s a bad dude and arguing otherwise or comparing crimes is a waste of time. We’ve discussed who he is and I’m happy to talk the football part unless that’s really worth additional analysis. 

Obviously I agree that the rest of the team needs to play well. 2024 I think we all should agree is a make or break year where Watson should be without excuse though. Flacco got us to the playoffs last year. We were better with him last year than Watson in his limited action. If Watson is what he was in 2020 you have to like our chances. When you want to cite the rest of the roster though you have to keep in mind he’s not just a piece. He’s the QB and $250M guaranteed. He's expected to be a player that ascends the offense. Year 3. Time to do that. 

Definitely a make or break year for Watson. If he plays like he did 2H vs. Baltimore or vs. Tennessee, we'll be in great shape. If he plays like he did vs. Pittsburgh, we'll be in trouble.

I think the talent is still definitely there - we've seen glimpses of it. But when it's been about four years since we've seen elite Watson, I don't think it's crazy to question if he'll return to that level. However, even if he doesn't return to top 5ish form, we'll still be legit contenders if we can get him to be a consistent top 10-12ish QB.

I could see things playing out many ways. He goes back to being a top QB, he busts, or he's somewhere in between. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

After missing time last year we'll have to give Watson about 15 games to shake off the rust.

At least we know we could just trade for alpha male Joe Flacco who won’t miss a beat. 

• Like 1

At some point, regardless of who he is as a person, your best ability is availability, and he has basically been unavailable for 4 years.

This might be make or break, but they’re still on the hook for 3 more seasons, so I’d anticipate this being an annual conversation through 2026.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 10:03 AM, NateDawg said:

Watson as a human being has been covered considerably at length. Most people kind of know what he is and it’s gross. I think what is up for debate at this point is whether he is still the quarterback he was in 2020. No excuses this year. I hope he can lift this offense up. I have my doubts. What I saw in his performance against Pittsburgh in particular was startling. 

Yep. I couldn’t care less about what he did off the field. He’s been a disappointment on the field. And after Flacco lead us to the playoffs off the couch there’s zero excuse to why Watson has been so slow to get going.  

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yep. I couldn’t care less about what he did off the field. He’s been a disappointment on the field. And after Flacco lead us to the playoffs off the couch there’s zero excuse to why Watson has been so slow to get going.  

Flacco was fun but he wasn't really that good. I mean, for who he is and where he is in his career we got the best case scenario out of him. Watson needs to fare better though, 14 TD to 10 INT isn't what Watson is being paid to do. It was exactly what Flacco was paid to do. Watson needs to be 30-10, or about that ratio or better depending on how much we rely on the air game.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Flacco was fun but he wasn't really that good. I mean, for who he is and where he is in his career we got the best case scenario out of him. Watson needs to fare better though, 14 TD to 10 INT isn't what Watson is being paid to do. It was exactly what Flacco was paid to do. Watson needs to be 30-10, or about that ratio or better depending on how much we rely on the air game.

Wasn’t that good? He threw for 320 yard a game off the couch. Watson couldn’t even get to 200. Baker threw for 100 less yards a game when he was here. He went 4-1 in the regular season. Flacco played out of his mind.