Sean McVay vs Doug Pederson

Chargers

Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson

On 10/07/2020 at 10:24 PM, ET80 said:

He wasn't a HC at 34 either. He was backing up Brett Favre. 

He's thrown more TDs than McVay...

EDIT: Pederson DID have a ring at 34! He was part of that 1997 Packers team as a backup QB, back when he was 28! What was McVay doing at 28, eh? Not winning a ring, that's for sure!

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree, but snarky responses such as the crap @Flounch is trying to pass off as football discussion can't go unnoticed...

Not at all, I get there are shades of grey on this. But trying to downplay the role Wentz had getting to that SB is the peak of idiotic talk, and that sort of idiotic talk is running around unchecked.

Without Wentz that season, the Eagles don't make the playoffs, let alone get in as the #1 seed. 

Ok

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

When it matters most, yes, although I believe Matt Ryan would have a ring if his HC had any sort of balls in the 4th quarter, so I don't really rank him below Nicky 9".

I'll take Rivers and Ryan handily over Foles during the regular season though, but give me Foles over Rivers in the playoffs.

Maybe have Big **** Nick back one of them up in the regular season and once they start the playoffs then sub him in?

Edited by rocky_rams

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree, but snarky responses such as the crap @Flounch is trying to pass off as football discussion can't go unnoticed...

Not at all, I get there are shades of grey on this. But trying to downplay the role Wentz had getting to that SB is the peak of idiotic talk, and that sort of idiotic talk is running around unchecked.

Without Wentz that season, the Eagles don't make the playoffs, let alone get in as the #1 seed. 

I dont think Wentz had as big of an impact as some think 

sure, he had an MVP season and got them into the playoffs. But you and i both know the playoffs are a whole different animal. Getting them there is one thing, leading them to the title is another. 

How many times have we seen good regular seasons for players and subpar playoff performances? Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers anyone?

it wasn’t anything close to a guarantee that Wentz would have led them to the title.  

I get both sides. I wouldn’t say he did nothing to help the Eagles win their SB, but I also won’t agree that he was the one who singlehandedly got there. 

Foles definitely deserves that honor of putting the team on his back and carrying them to the the ultimate victory 

Edited by rocky_rams

On 7/10/2020 at 7:13 PM, jrry32 said:

It's Coach B, easily. But it's a bad question. Coach B has coached for a far shorter period with three Super Bowl wins. Plus, the respective winning percentages are 61.2% and 55.6%. That's not nearly a big enough gap to overcome Coach B's three Super Bowl rings in a shorter period of time. Let's make a more analogous comparison. Rank the following in order:

Coach A: 200-126-1 (61.3%), 0 SB Wins

Coach B: 82-75 (52.2%), 1 SB Win

Coach C: 170-138 (55.2%), 2 SB Wins

Coach D: 170-150 (53.1%), 2 SB Wins

Coach E: 158-96-5 (62.2%), 0 SB Wins

Coach F: 143-112 (56.1%), 0 SB Wins

Let's make this even easier for you, @ET80, since you clearly don't want to answer a question that eviscerates your argument. I'll name the coaches here. 

Coach A = Marty Schottenheimer

Coach B = Gary Kubiak

Coach C = Mike Shanahan

Coach D = Tom Coughlin

Coach E = Bud Grant

Coach F = Marv Levy

Now, for my money, Bud Grant is the best coach on this list. Do you agree, @ET80?

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Let's make this even easier for you, @ET80, since you clearly don't want to answer a question that eviscerates your argument. I'll name the coaches here

The mental gymnastics and cherry picking here is astonishing. You pick one coach who has a 10% winning percentage over the rest of the field. 

For the record, I'd probably pick Coughlin - simply because of the two SBs against the best coach in NFL history. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

The mental gymnastics and cherry picking here is astonishing. You pick one coach who has a 10% winning percentage over the rest of the field. 

For the record, I'd probably pick Coughlin - simply because of the two SBs against the best coach in NFL history. 

Well, I have two issues with your rebuttal. First, Grant's winning percentage is only 7% higher than Shanahan's, who has two more Super Bowl wins. Second, that's not exactly out of bounds in this conversation when you consider this fact:

Regular Season Winning Percentages

McVay - 68.8%

Pederson - 59.4%

However, my point was that you can't just classify coaching greatness by the numbers or by who has the most rings, as you seem intent on doing. If you asked me to rank those coaches, it would be difficult. For me, I'd rank them in tiers:

Tier 1

Bud Grant

Tier 2

Tom Coughlin

Marty Schottenheimer

Marv Levy

Tier 3

Mike Shanahan

Gary Kubiak

Bud Grant stands above the rest for me despite the fact he went 0-4 in Super Bowls. In the next tier, Coughlin was the worst regular season coach, but he was also a brilliant playoff coach with a number of significant upsets. Schottenheimer was a brilliant regular season coach who could not get it done in the playoffs. Levy was brilliant on both accounts with the Bills (after a mediocre run with the Chiefs), but he too went 0-4 in Super Bowls. In the final tier, Shanahan and Kubiak were more decent coaches who were temporarily elevated by circumstance. Although, I think it would be fair to argue that Shanahan deserves Tier 3 alone and Kubiak should be dropped to Tier 4.

Regardless, if we look at the coaches who have the most Super Bowl wins (Shanahan and Coughlin), Shanahan has the better regular season record. But both of us agree he was not the better HC. And I expect you agree that Bud Grant was a better HC than Shanahan and Kubiak (at minimum). Obviously, that means that neither Super Bowl wins nor winning percentage are the ultimate decider. It's simply a gut call. Pederson has a habit of stepping up of big moments. He's like Coughlin in that way. But McVay is more consistent. Ultimately, I prefer McVay for that reason.

Edited by jrry32

12 hours ago, LeonKennedy said:

Good god no, the last thing Philly needs is more wins to gloat about.

Let us have it, we heard "no ringzzz" jokes for years lol. Even though the only recent rival who's had success is the Giants (who the Eagles own)

Edited by RBreezy

On 11/07/2020 at 1:55 AM, Jeezla said:

If the the NFL ended today, Doug would be the guy won SB LII.

McVay would be the guy who scored 3 points in SB LIII, gifting the evil empire yet another ring, and making Tom Brady believe he has 4-5 more years left in the tank. At this point, all McVay has done is enhance the legend of Tom Brady. Thanks Sean.

giphy.gif

On 7/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, eagles18 said:

hey man...Eagles fans are pretty confident that we would take Pederson over McVay.. This is like a Wentz vs Dak debate. It's clear af who the better quarterback is, but cowboys fans will spend the rest of time it self arguing their side. 

A poll with over 1M responses ranked Dak better.

The 2 biggest Eagles based publications ranked Dak better.

An Eagles Fan ranking based on ESPN, NFL.com, PFF, ANY/A and Footballs outsiders ranked Dak better

It is clear AF who the better QB is.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:51 PM, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

More rings than Dak and Goff combined.

Lets check out their playoff stats

On 7/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, RBreezy said:

Let us have it, we heard "no ringzzz" jokes for years lol. Even though the only recent rival who's had success is the Giants (who the Eagles own)

Eagles fans over here with the strong belief that the only football season ever played was 2017. Football ended for them after that. And I dont just mean figuratively, their subforum lost like half their regulars and got surpassed by the Redskins.