Sean McVay vs Doug Pederson

Chargers

Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson

20 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I seem to recall the Eagles getting shut out for three quarters in that game. Do you want to give Pederson credit for the double-doink the game before? 

This is fair and I can concede to this - but unlike the year before, Nick Foles wasn't walking into protecting a #1 seed like he was in 2017, he had five starts and had to actually close out the season on a winning streak to get the Eagles to their 9-7 finish and playoff berth. Had they not finished 3-0, Minnesota gets the playoff berth at 8-7-1.

That 2018 team was 5-6 with Carson Wentz, 4-1 with Nick Foles during the RS. If Pederson doesn't finish those final three games of the RS (against two playoff teams no less - the Texans who had won nine in a row that season and the Rams, ironically enough) the Eagles don't make the playoffs.

Parkey and Jeffrey is a push. Right? But this, with Nick Foles heading up the team with a "win or go home" situation from Week 15 onwards - without Frank Reich, without Carson Wentz, mind you - does that count for anything?

Just now, ET80 said:

This is fair and I can concede to this - but unlike the year before, Nick Foles wasn't walking into protecting a #1 seed like he was in 2017, he had five starts and had to actually win a few games to get the Eagles to their 9-7 finish and playoff berth.

That 2018 team was 5-6 with Carson Wentz, 4-1 with Nick Foles during the RS. If Pederson doesn't finish those final three games of the RS (against two playoff teams no less - the Texans who had won nine in a row that season and the Rams, ironically enough) the Eagles don't make the playoffs.

Parkey and Jeffrey is a push. Right? But this, with Nick Foles heading up the team with a "win or go home" situation from Week 15 onwards - without Frank Reich, mind you - does that count for anything?

Okay, I’ll concede here too. 

I still think that McVay will end up considered by far the more storied and accomplished coach by history. I’ll bookmark this thread and bump it in about 20 years, and we’ll see if I’m right. 

• Like 1

Just now, notthatbluestuff said:

I still think that McVay will end up considered by far the more storied and accomplished coach by history. I’ll bookmark this thread and bump it in about 20 years, and we’ll see if I’m right. 

I will buy that take. McVay is younger than me, I'll give him the long game. As he gets more experience, he'll get better and better - upside on him is better than just about everyone else (maybe Shanahan or Kingsbury, but doubtful on those two). He's got pelts on the wall already, so "upside" is improving on a great foundation.

But, in a vacuum from start of their career until now, I'm taking Pederson.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Agreed. Or, if it's relevant, then it's actually a positive! Some people would argue that winning WITH Goff and having him play at an MVP-level is more impressive than winning WITHOUT Goff. Some people would say it's easier to win with almost any NFL QB. Except for Dak Prescott and Kyler Murray. They're clearly worse than Goff. Isn't that right, Tecmo friends?

@Forge @Dome @squire12 @Blue @Counselor @Pickle Rick @The Orca

@rackcs @Daboyle @bcb1213 @Malfatron @Deadpulse @swoosh @MWil23 @bigbadbuff

6-9 forever. Nice.

Can confirm

• 1 month later...