Sean McVay vs Doug Pederson

Chargers

Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson

15 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Pederson is going to be living off that Super Bowl win for the rest of his life, a season which was engineered by Frank Reich. 

There is some weight in this, however you have to consider that Doug is the one who called plays throughout the entirety of the season. Reich helped engineer the general direction of the offense as well as the first 15 scripted plays in a game. But otherwise Doug did all the playcalling.

The ring debate just isn't good enough (sorry, finally had the chance to read the whole thread). We should be able to do better.

You're talking about the result of a single game. Look at SBLIII - this was a game where a single play could have changed the entire outcome. Goff throws that pass to Cooks a second earlier, it's a TD. Who knows what happens after? Let's say the Rams hold on. You're telling me that McVay magically becomes a better coach because he has a ring? It just doesn't work like that. You need to look deeper. 

23 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Let's say the Rams hold on. You're telling me that McVay magically becomes a better coach because he has a ring? It just doesn't work like that. You need to look deeper. 

Let's say McVay had to make it through December and January without Goff and Whitworth... do they even come close to the Super Bowl?

7 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Pederson has coached a lot of games without Goff, I don't see what that has to do with anything. 

Agreed. Or, if it's relevant, then it's actually a positive! Some people would argue that winning WITH Goff and having him play at an MVP-level is more impressive than winning WITHOUT Goff. Some people would say it's easier to win with almost any NFL QB. Except for Dak Prescott and Kyler Murray. They're clearly worse than Goff. Isn't that right, Tecmo friends?

@Forge @Dome @squire12 @Blue @Counselor @Pickle Rick @The Orca

@rackcs @Daboyle @bcb1213 @Malfatron @Deadpulse @swoosh @MWil23 @bigbadbuff

6-9 forever. Nice.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Agreed. Or, if it's relevant, then it's actually a positive! Some people would argue that winning WITH Goff and having him play at an MVP-level is more impressive than winning WITHOUT Goff. Some people would say it's easier to win with almost any NFL QB. Except for Dak Prescott and Kyler Murray. They're clearly worse than Goff. Isn't that right, Tecmo friends?

@Forge @Dome @squire12 @Blue @Counselor @Pickle Rick @The Orca

@rackcs @Daboyle @bcb1213 @Malfatron @Deadpulse @swoosh @MWil23 @bigbadbuff

6-9 forever. Nice.

dont mention me just to get a football!

who am I kidding, take it

16 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

As addressed, he has Frank Reich to thank for that miracle. 

Didn't he nearly beat New Orleans in the playoffs the following season with Nick Foles? That would have led to a 2nd NFCCG with his backup QB (and with Reich in Indy...)

If you want to give Frank Reich credit for Alshon Jeffery not bobbling a ball to Marshawn Lattimore, then go ahead.

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Didn't he nearly beat New Orleans in the playoffs the following season with Nick Foles? That would have led to a 2nd NFCCG with his backup QB (and with Reich in Indy...)

If you want to give Frank Reich credit for Alshon Jeffery not bobbling a ball to Marshawn Lattimore, then go ahead.

I seem to recall the Eagles getting shut out for three quarters in that game. Do you want to give Pederson credit for the double-doink the game before? 

• Like 3