What position do you ideally want to target in the 2021 first round?

sp6488

Ideal target position in the 2021 draft first round?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. First choice?

• QB
    • RB
    • WR
    • TE
    • OT
    • IOL
    • EDGE
    • DL
    • LB
    • CB
    • S
  2. 2. Second choice?

• QB
    • RB
    • WR
    • TE
    • OT
    • IOL
    • EDGE
    • DL
    • LB
    • CB
    • S
  3. 3. Third choice?

• QB
    • RB
    • WR
    • TE
    • OT
    • IOL
    • EDGE
    • DL
    • LB
    • CB
    • S

Going along with the 2021 draft prospects thread, what is the position that you would like to target with the team's 2021 first rounder (knowing what we know now)?

Let's make this individual prospect agnostic. Also, to clarify, this is slightly different than team needs. For example, we might potentially need another TE in the rotation as a long-term upgrade to one of the UDFA, but I doubt most would prefer to use our most valuable pick there. Similarly, a swing OT/developmental LT might be a need, but if we assume Stanley will be extended or at the very least franchised, then it may not be the best use of our top pick.

The case for a few positions:

• WR - Much of the board was clamoring for a playmaking WR to pair with Hollywood. Boykin may yet develop and Duvernay looks like a nice addition to the group, but another top-flight option would have a place in this offense.
  • EDGE - We have four of our five EDGE pieces set to be FA following 2020 (Judon, Bowser, Fort, McPhee). A lot of us had this as the top need for 2020, but much of the band was brought back together. The two arguments I see against this position are (1) value - we're likely picking late in the round and it can often be a soft area where the top options are gone and the next tier isn't really justified and (2) Wink has shown a propensity/ability to scheme pressure.
  • DL - Madubuike was a great addition with our first third rounder in 2020, but this was definitely an area of focus in 2020 through FA/trades. Wolfe is a FA after 2020 and Campbell is both aging and only has two years remaining. Williams is still a key piece against the run, but both he and Campbell could be at risk next offseason based on what happens with the cap and space needed to extend core players like Stanley, Humphrey, and Jackson.
  • S - Clark was a great deal to extend as a future core piece, but the interest in trading for Adams is warranted, although the compensation (trade and extension) required make that proposition a bit tricky. Earl may not play out his contract and Elliott and Stone are question marks. Another premium FS talent would be a welcome addition to the back end of this defense as the current talent/contract waterfall doesn't extend too far into the future.

I went with edge, cb, safety. I like the idea of building back to front in this day and age. Edge still is our primary need due to most of our players at the position being FA’s, but that could change.

If that dline with ability to play the run and rush the passer is there, he will succeed every other need, but those players tend to go high.

The case against IOL in round one:

I feel the team has done a great job of deploying 2nd day selections in being able to secure Pro Bowl level talents. We’ve added a few options along the interior that I think present an underrated outlook currently, along with the prospect of day 2 additions in future years and I think they spot looks respectable. A stud center might be worth keeping tabs on, but beyond that I’m pretty content outside of that.

The case for WR as a top 3 need:

So I keep going back to the notion that Torrey Smith is the greatest drafted WR in franchise history. Until that’s no longer the case and until we have a track record of developing successful WRs on day 2 and day 3, like many of our other positions WR will always be a top 3 draft need year in and year out IMO.

Beyond that I think everyone can agree that edge should be a top 3 need regardless. There’s too much uncertainty and also talent dearth at the position as it is. There will likely be a huge free agent and draft deployment towards resources to best attack the position.

Which leads the final need to one of two positions. I went back and forth on both DL and S. Obviously the fact that we “missed out” on Derwin James and were in trade talks with the Jets for Jamal Adams along with the weird offseason by ET means safety has to be a position worth looking into and scouting. What’s more DBs have the lowest bust percentage out of all 1st round selections. Couple that with first round safeties really seeming to be in a boom stage where their value is being best utilized as opposed to the last decade or so where safety play had been on a decline after Reed and Head&Shoulders retired. That said I ultimately decided on the positional value that the DL brings to the equation. We’ve proven we can find dominating run stoppers late, but until we actually cultivate a pass rushing threat upfront that can do it all, it’ll be a position worth targeting. An elite IDL prospect that falls to us would do far more to benefit our defense than securing a safety.

Edited by diamondbull424

I know it's a cop-out answer but the reality is that we'll know a lot more about our needs after the season (if there is a season), especially as it relates to which young players sink and which ones swim. If Boykin doesn't step up into his starting role, then a perimeter/X receiver is going to be a priority need. But if he takes a leap and becomes a reliable #2 for us (or #3 if you count Andrews), then we probably end up feeling good about a WR corps of Hollywood and Boykin + hoping a 2nd year Duvernay or Proche can develop and own the slot position with Snead gone. 

We have enough in-house youth at IOL at this point between Powers/Mekari/Phillips/Bredesen so the hope would be that one of them seizes their opportunity and it's not pressing need again next year, but if they all suck then we're probably stuck targeting guards again next year. If that injury has permanently derailed Skura that changes the thinking quite a bit as well. 

EDGE feels like the safest bet to be a big need, given we could lose as many as 3 of our 4 top EDGE rushers right now in Judon/Bowser/McPhee, and Ferguson's not exactly a guy many of us have a ton of faith in. But a 2nd year leap from Ferguson would definitely change the equation as would a contract-year leap from Bowser that ends with us re-signing him. 

DL is in a similar situation in terms of relying on vets right now, but if we think Campbell can still be effective in 2021 and we feel good about where we're at with Madibuike's developmental cycle, it's not a gaping hole even if Wolfe ends up being a 1 year rental. 

I think free safety will sneaky be a big need in the offseason next year. If Earl declines it's a more obvious need but even if he remains a plus cover guy this season, from an age/contract standpoint we're probably still only looking at one more year beyond that here so it's the right time to put a succession plan in place. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Tackle. I expect one of Stanley or Brown Jr to be traded as soon as next offseason.

If we extend Stanley, Orlando Brown will be an interesting player to see what we do with. Unfortunately I could see him as a player we let go and get the comp pick, while we for instance franchise or lock up Mandrews early.

20 minutes ago, Danand said:

If we extend Stanley, Orlando Brown will be an interesting player to see what we do with. Unfortunately I could see him as a player we let go and get the comp pick, while we for instance franchise or lock up Mandrews early.

I don't think we wait until after Brown's year 4 (2022 offseason) to make the move/choice. There is no RT franchise tag (just O-line) so he's gone if we wait that long. I think next offseason we tag Stanley and negotiate with Zeus Jr. I could also see a scenario where Brown takes a team friendly(er) deal to be locked in as a Raven and Stanley doesn't except less than Tunsil+ money. In which case a tag and trade of Stanley for a first with a commitment to Zeus Jr makes sense.

Lamar is going to be the first block to fit in. I bet Humphrey will be #2 over Stanley with how this team focuses on the secondary. I think the calculus is different with Lamar at QB than Flacco. Not that the LT doesn't matter and losing Stanley won't be a big hit, but I don't think we need AS great a player there with Lamar's skillset and how he discourages edge rushers from a speed rush around that tackle that could expose a running lane.

Mandrews we can franchise tag in 2021 and push off the negotiation because the TE tag is going to be good value for the team, even with Kittle's new deal. No pressure there.

So yea, I think we stock up with rookie on the line. I thought we might do it early this year with a tackle/guard flexible propsect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Tackle. I expect one of Stanley or Brown Jr to be traded as soon as next offseason.

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't think we wait until after Brown's year 4 (2022 offseason) to make the move/choice. There is no RT franchise tag (just O-line) so he's gone if we wait that long. I think next offseason we tag Stanley and negotiate with Zeus Jr. I could also see a scenario where Brown takes a team friendly(er) deal to be locked in as a Raven and Stanley doesn't except less than Tunsil+ money. In which case a tag and trade of Stanley for a first with a commitment to Zeus Jr makes sense.

Lamar is going to be the first block to fit in. I bet Humphrey will be #2 over Stanley with how this team focuses on the secondary. I think the calculus is different with Lamar at QB than Flacco. Not that the LT doesn't matter and losing Stanley won't be a big hit, but I don't think we need AS great a player there with Lamar's skillset and how he discourages edge rushers from a speed rush around that tackle that could expose a running lane.

Mandrews we can franchise tag in 2021 and push off the negotiation because the TE tag is going to be good value for the team, even with Kittle's new deal. No pressure there.

So yea, I think we stock up with rookie on the line. I thought we might do it early this year with a tackle/guard flexible propsect.

And yet, there are no votes for OT in the poll (1st, 2nd, or 3rd option)...? ;)

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

As much as I understand your logic and somewhat agree with it, it would be a brave move to move on from an All-Pro left tackle so that you can lock up lesser calibre players (even if those players are Pro-Bowlers)

• Like 1