Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

2 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

We have 5 RHD now so hopefully having Severson, Vatanen and Santini to solidify the right side means no more Lovejoy or Prout. That'll help in itself. We still need a top of the line LHD (doesn't everyone?), but we may be able to survive with whatever combination of Mueller, Moore, Greene and Butcher until we can address it.

Nope :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

Well, seeing this...does Ray Shero ever really lose trades? It's few and far between if it happens.

Kyle Palmieri for 2015 2nd and 2016 3rd round picks
2016 4th and 2017 2nd round picks for Lee Stempniak
2017 3rd round pick for Eric Gelinas
Taking on Marc Savard's contract to gain a 2018 2nd round pick
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson
2017 4th round pick for Vernon Fiddler
Marcus Johansson for 2018 2nd and 3rd round picks
Sami Vatanen for Adam Henrique, Joseph Blandisi and a 3rd round pick

Some smaller deals were meh but nothing crazy. Mirco Mueller for 2 picks could be merky (pun intended) but he's been better than advertised until injury.

I mean, we turned Adam Larsson and Adam Henrique into Taylor Hall and Sami Vatanen basically. 

I seriously was just about to post this tweet. Because I can't say that I hate any of those deals. Health is in consideration - Johansson may finally be coming back, but Palm is on the shelf, and Vatanen has had some durability issues, but from a x for x deal, I like it. 

And like I said, its important to not that if Henrique re-signs with Anaheim (which is probably unlikely, but possible), we get that third round pick back, just a year or two later (depending on when he re-signs)

14 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Not going to pretend I'm an expert on the Devils, but is Blandisi anything more than a 4th liner with some PP ability?

Maybe he could be a third line type guy, but yeah, he's a bottom 6 type, and I think that's his ceiling, so I'm not even sure that he gets there with any sort of consistency. He had a really, really good camp this year, and he was probably the last man out, but I just don't think you're giving up a ton of potential there for the most part. 

• Like 2

Seems like a fairly even trade value-wise.  The Devils got the best player in the deal with Vatanen though.  And I think they can absorb the loss of Henrique long-term with players they already have in the organization.  I guess Anaheim wanted to free up cap and their defense was already very deep as it was with Manson, Fowler, and Lindholm.

Thought this was worth mentioning 

Seattle's chance to land a National Hockey League franchise improved greatly on Monday, when the Seattle City Council overwhelmingly approved a memorandum of understanding for the $660 million, privately financed redevelopment of KeyArena.

The council vote was 7-1.

The Oak View Group was given the MOU months after unveiling plans to dramatically redevelop KeyArena, which opened its doors in 1962, and improve transportation around it. Currently, the WNBA's Seattle Storm call KeyArena home. It previously was home to the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics, who relocated to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder in 2008.

The ambitious timeline laid out by Oak View would have the building ready by October 2020, if it obtains the necessary environmental approvals by October 2018.

As for the NHL, Bettman has said the NHL is "not in an expansion process" as recently as last month. But he has supported the arena renovation and has acknowledged that billionaire investment banker David Bonderman, part of the Oak View effort, has expressed interest in owning an NHL franchise.

The NHL has acknowledged that Seattle is a desirable market for pro hockey. "I think we have a belief in the Pacific Northwest. It's good hockey territory. It's kind of more obvious than some of the other areas," deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Seattle Times in 2014.

I'm not sure how I feel about further expansion, but something to keep an eye on. 

The devils are toast if Hall is out for a prolonged period of time after tonights knee to knee. He's not going to get pub for the Hart because the points aren't there, but he should absolutely be a guy who is considered. That's how good he's been this year. Hopefully it's nothing major and he can get back out there relatively soon. 

Good god, I love this team. So damn fun. They are for real IMO. Brian Boyle is incredible.

3 assists on his 33rd birthday lol. Scores on Cancer night....there's some cosmic stuff going on with him. 

And agree...loving every minute of this team. I really thought earlier in the year that we were going to at some point fall off...I'm not so sure about that now. I think we've only gone two games in a row without getting at least one point only once this entire season. 

• Like 1

Also, Jesper Bratt was such a steal. 10 goals, 13 assists in 33 games as a 19 year old, 6th round pick.

His vision is great on the passes, and he actually has a pretty wicked shot when he takes it. Smooth skater and he's squirrely with the puck.  He and Nice see the ice amazingly well, and surprisingly, they are both willing defenders. Sure, they're not great at it, but both of them are defensively responsible and really grind at it. 

• Like 1