Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

5 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Is the difference in Duchene to Turris really a 1st, 3rd, and Bowers?

If you're asking why the Senators made the move, it's because Turris has basically said he was not going to resign with them, so now Ottawa got a center that they have under control for 2 more seasons and basically delayed having to pay someone a big contract.

1 hour ago, tntitans4life17 said:

If you're asking why the Senators made the move, it's because Turris has basically said he was not going to resign with them, so now Ottawa got a center that they have under control for 2 more seasons and basically delayed having to pay someone a big contract.

I didn't realize that, makes sense.

Nashville made out really well with this trade I think.  

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

I didn't realize that, makes sense.

Nashville made out really well with this trade I think.  

They really did. After signing Ryan Johanssen to the extension this summer, there really wasn’t going to be cap money to throw at Duchene when his contract was up. Getting Turris on a 6x6 is great 

Also, the fact they were able to keep Tolvanen and only part with Girard and Kamenev was great. Really like Girard, but his skill set as on offensive defensemen is something Nashville already has and Kamenev was going to be blocked given the current roster. 

This is a rare trade where you can say every team made a great deal. Avs loaded up on prospects/future picks and Ottawa got a great young center and he is under contract for 2 years and the Preds answered their biggest need in the top 9. 

• Like 1

Devils coming back down to earth a bit. I've been harping on the unforced turnovers in their own end and the penalties since the start of the season (not to mention some defensive lapses), and it's really been costing them the last few games. That may not be something that gets resolved this year, but a little more talent on the back end the next couple of years, some more experience and growth and it's hard not to be bullish on them for the future 

19 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Ok entertain me.

How does Sakic not suck? Apart from an extremely lucky 13-14 season he has done nothing of note and the franchise has gotten even worse under him.

He has the best wrist shot out of any GM :)

But that's probably not what you are talking about lol

On 11/8/2017 at 8:51 PM, broncosfan07 said:

Ok entertain me.

How does Sakic not suck? Apart from an extremely lucky 13-14 season he has done nothing of note and the franchise has gotten even worse under him.

I never said Sakic didn't suck, you quite literally said it didn't matter what he did, you would have criticized it. 

Bad GMs can do good things, and good GMs can do bad things. I don't think it's that absurd to say Sakic did fairly well for someone with 0 leverage

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I never said Sakic didn't suck, you quite literally said it didn't matter what he did, you would have criticized it. 

Bad GMs can do good things, and good GMs can do bad things. I don't think it's that absurd to say Sakic did fairly well for someone with 0 leverage

Sure, but he hasn't really earned the benefit of doubt. On paper it's a good return but how Sakic has handled it and the O'Reilly saga has been very poor. The Duchene trade rumors had been going on for 18 months, Landeskog was rumored to be on the block as well and then Roy resigns. At that point it should've triggered this trade and started a full rebuild.

But at this point Kronke isn't going to fire Sakic because he just doesn't give a damn about the franchise.

Just now, flyers0909 said:

Hakstol pulled that crap last year with Konecny and Ghost.  

It's maddening tbh. Let the youth grow, not bench them because they are making mistakes that ruin your hot start. I mean, we're keeping Brian Gibbons out there for the sake of W's rather than letting our high potential kids get burn. So stupid and short sighted.

• Like 1

Just now, bkobow05 said:

It's maddening tbh. Let the youth grow, not bench them because they are making mistakes that ruin your hot start. I mean, we're keeping Brian Gibbons out there for the sake of W's rather than letting our high potential kids get burn. So stupid and short sighted.

I totally get it, Chris Vandevelde played 81 games for us last year.

I just hate when coaches bench talent because of an occasional mistake yet send plugs out there to get consistently pummeled because they suck.  "Sit in the pressbox Ghost and watch how to not make mistakes by watching Brandon Manning play hockey".  Ghost is an offensive dman who pushes the play, there are going to be times where he gets caught up too far which results in a 2 on 1 the other way.  But you put up with that when he's got 15 points in 13 games.  

He seems to have gotten out of it for the time being, but Hakstol loved benching Ghost at the end of close games like he doesn't realize the other team can't score if they can't get the puck out of their own zone.  

• Like 1