Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

20 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

It’s always satisfying when you beat the Rangers...

Definitely. 

After watching the last two games, you can certainly see where the struggles are going to come this year later on, but very promising. We are having trouble creating when they mix us up in the neutral zone; we have a really hard time getting deep in the zone with any consistency. And I really feel like we go as our passing goes. The last two nights, when we were struggling, our puck handling and passing has been just a tick off. And of course, there's the inexperience. Some unforced turnovers, penalties etc. The defense can go through periods of just being really bad. 

But both our goalies are solid. The offense is for real, I think. It's fun hockey. I'll take 4-1 any day of the week. Will Butcher had an amazing pass today to Stafford, and I'm thankful to have him back. He looked good in the preseason, and grabbing a goal on his first game back is promising. 

Now I'm just wondering what we are going to do moving forward after benching Johansson, Zacha and Jimmy Hayes tonight. That was a bit surprising. Zacha has had a couple of bad penalties the last couple of games, and Johansson has turned the puck over needlessly a couple of times. I thought I saw Hayes do that as well once tonight, but I am not one hundred percent sure. 

Also, not sure what's up with Hall, but he needs to sharpen his skates or something. I have seen him lose his edge when skating no fewer than three times that last two nights. Really strange. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, Forge said:

Devils win 6-3. I thought that we were outplayed a fair bit, and we need to get the discipline in line - gave the leafs not one, but two 5-3 powerplays. Schneider was great tonight. Otherwise, happy to take the win. Devils have now scored 16 goals in 3 games. We still created our fair amount of action, some odd man rushes. The leafs did eat through out defense, which is a concern, particularly in periods 2 and 3. 

To be fair, the Leafs are going to eat through the majority of teams' defenses. They are ridiculously fast and skilled. I was very impressed by New Jersey though, and Schneider played great. 

• Like 2

I don't know if he's going to stick around all year - seems like the type a young team signs to get traded at the deadline, but Drew Stafford already looks like a steal and could definitely be back to the guy from 2 years ago. Really good signing by new jersey. 

• Like 1

Gotta say, really enjoy watching that Vegas team as a new fan to hockey this year. That's a fun team.

Wonder if Subban can live up to his hype (not so much now, as obviously BOS let him go). He's looked solid these last couple games.

20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Gotta say, really enjoy watching that Vegas team as a new fan to hockey this year. That's a fun team.

Wonder if Subban can live up to his hype (not so much now, as obviously BOS let him go). He's looked solid these last couple games.

Yeah, I'm floored what Vegas is doing right now, but its definitely fun. As someone who lives here, i love it

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm floored what Vegas is doing right now, but its definitely fun. As someone who lives here, i love it

I can't even imagine. Really think Vegas will end up being a good market for hockey.

Edited by .Buzz

Not only are we scoring 4.3 goals per game but we actually won a shootout? Man, you couldn't ask for a better start to the season for Jersey. How bout Will Butcher? Kid already has 9 assists on the season. Could be a legitimate find by Shero and company. Drew Stafford is also off to a great start. Shero seems to find one veteran a year to flip at the deadline for a draft choice. He turned Lee Stempniak into a 2nd (traded for Mirco Mueller) and 4th (G Evan Cormier) and turned PA Parenteau into a 6th (traded for two 7ths where we took two dmen prospects) the last two seasons...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Not only are we scoring 4.3 goals per game but we actually won a shootout? Man, you couldn't ask for a better start to the season for Jersey. How bout Will Butcher? Kid already has 9 assists on the season. Could be a legitimate find by Shero and company. Drew Stafford is also off to a great start. Shero seems to find one veteran a year to flip at the deadline for a draft choice. He turned Lee Stempniak into a 2nd (traded for Mirco Mueller) and 4th (G Evan Cormier) and turned PA Parenteau into a 6th (traded for two 7ths where we took two dmen prospects) the last two seasons...

And credit to the PK unit. It can struggle at times, but huge kills at the end of regulation and overtime to get us to the shootout. I'll really be curious if that's what we do with Stafford. I think that was going to be the intention when we signed him, but if we are within striking distance of the playoffs come the deadline, we may keep him. 

I just hope Nico isn't pressing yet. Watching the games, I feel like he's skating well, he's creating some opportunities (and was robbed of a goal yesterday on a beautiful feed by Hall), so I don't see anything wrong with how he's playing. He just hasn't gotten anything into the back of the net yet. If he keeps playing as he is though, they will come eventually. 

The one other thing that I will add is I think that this is the 4th time in 6 games that we have faced a team's backup netminder, so I'm sure that has a little something to do with our offensive success at this point. 

Just now, ninerfanwheelz said:

Still plenty of room on the bandwagon B| jump on before it's too late

Yeah, IDK. This is my first year really following hockey game by game, have been leaning pretty heavily towards the Blackhawks (really close by), also thought about STL/MIN. Las Vegas is intriguing due to them also being new/being their from the get go like I said, but they on the other side of the country is a big negative for me. Already follow a couple major sports teams that are on the other side of the country and it kinda sucks at times (Jaguars, Orioles).

I guess who knows where I end up moving after school but still.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, IDK. This is my first year really following hockey game by game, have been leaning pretty heavily towards the Blackhawks (really close by), also thought about STL/MIN. Las Vegas is intriguing due to them also being new/being their from the get go like I said, but they on the other side of the country is a big negative for me. Already follow a couple major sports teams that are on the other side of the country and it kinda sucks at times (Jaguars, Orioles).

I guess who knows where I end up moving after school but still.

Go for the Blackhawks bro. You deserve a winning team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Go for the Blackhawks bro. You deserve a winning team.

Meh, as long as a team has good direction and isn't in a terrible management situation it's not a huge deal for me. Winning and losing will come at some point for all teams (at least hopefully on the winning part). I mean, the Blackhawks are probably relatively close to the end with this core of players (Kane/Toews/Keith/Seabrook). Plenty of people thought prior to the season that they may not even make the playoffs this year (which has some to do with the Central being crazy good).