Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

I totally get it, Chris Vandevelde played 81 games for us last year.

I just hate when coaches bench talent because of an occasional mistake yet send plugs out there to get consistently pummeled because they suck.  "Sit in the pressbox Ghost and watch how to not make mistakes by watching Brandon Manning play hockey".  Ghost is an offensive dman who pushes the play, there are going to be times where he gets caught up too far which results in a 2 on 1 the other way.  But you put up with that when he's got 15 points in 13 games.  

He seems to have gotten out of it for the time being, but Hakstol loved benching Ghost at the end of close games like he doesn't realize the other team can't score if they can't get the puck out of their own zone.  

It's funny because he's not even consistent. I mean, our entire D group is young sans Greene and they all make horrid mistakes because they're all offensive style D men. I dunno, it's stupid. Severson gets an average TOI of nearly 20 minutes but we can't make up our mind when it comes to who we want to play. Mirco Mueller has been a healthy scratch 4 times in favor of guys like Dalton Prout and Ben Lovejoy. Severson once, Santini twice. These kids need friggin' burn and, even though you started really well, you're not a playoff team yet. Develop, don't delay.

21 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

@Forge Man, I don't get what Hynes is doing sometimes. We've had Severson and Zacha  alternate as healthy scratches these last two games. Is he trying to send a message to the young'ns or something? 

I really, really don't understand the Severson thing. It doesn't make much sense. I've watched nearly every game, and as you said earlier, the entire defense makes some pretty horrendous mistakes. It's just not their strong point. Severson has been notable for a few mistake that are pretty bad when I've watched. I think he's had more notable lapses than someone like Santini when I watch, but that could largely be because I have a different set of expectations for each of the guys, and Severson's error's stand out more to me.  But he's a guy I think that you just have to keep playing. 

Zacha? Man, I don't know...I kind of understand it, but kind of not. I've been pretty unimpressed with him in the games I have watched. Just offensively, something isn't right there. I was actually going to make a post in here the other day asking if you were worried about him. On one hand, I want them to give him the opportunity to work through it, and on the other end, with guys getting healthy and some of the players outplaying what we expected, there's a part of me that gets it.  We scratched him against Edmonton, and I thought that Noesen, who I assume was taking his spot, played a great game along with that line in general.  The two things that I've seen from Zacha that I've liked this year are that he's one of the few guys that just looks to shoot on this team. Far too often our young guys make one too many passes trying to set up some beautiful goal. I watched Nico do it the other day against Edmonton in overtime where he and hall had a 2-1. He really needed to shoot the puck, and instead he tried to feed it back to Hall and it ended up a bad pass, so we didn't even get a scoring chance. The other thing that I have liked is his defensive stick work in the offensive zone. I've seen him quite a few times harass opposing players as they are trying to bring it out and create turnovers. Hasn't always led to goal, but I like the aggression to create opportunities. But he's completely disappeared for long stretches of time as well. 

20 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

It's funny because he's not even consistent. I mean, our entire D group is young sans Greene and they all make horrid mistakes because they're all offensive style D men. I dunno, it's stupid. Severson gets an average TOI of nearly 20 minutes but we can't make up our mind when it comes to who we want to play. Mirco Mueller has been a healthy scratch 4 times in favor of guys like Dalton Prout and Ben Lovejoy. Severson once, Santini twice. These kids need friggin' burn and, even though you started really well, you're not a playoff team yet. Develop, don't delay.

Mueller is another one I don't understand. I thought he's played pretty well this year. He's not as offensively gifted as thought when we acquired him, though. 

What I'm trying to figure out is what has happened to our power play. It is a complete disaster right now. We just seem out of sorts. For as exciting as our fast start is this year, I believe we have the exact same point count as last year  through this many games. We need to get back on track against Florida and not fall into what happened last year. 

I'll take the win against Florida, but we were outplayed for this game, I thought. Schneider won the game for us. 

Speaking of Zacha earlier, he was another scratch tonight. On the telecast, they said Zajac is close to returning - perhaps in a matter of days. I didn't think that he was due back until January. If this is true, Zacha is in trouble, right? I mean, you're not messing with Hall / Nico / Palm, and you're not messing with Henrique / Bratt / Stafford. So then we have the Gibbons / Noesen / Coleman line (which sometimes includes Wood, I think), and that line seems to have some solid chemistry and they're pretty gritty. They are not going to put up a lot of scores, but they are a nuisance. So that leaves Zacha , Wood or Hayes as being the most common scratch, yeah? Personally, I'd drop Wood most of the time, who I have been pretty unimpressed with overall, but I don't know that he's been scratched a single game this year....so they must like him. That being said, even if you like him Hynes, for the love of god, he has no business playing chunks of time on the power play....just don't.

On 11/12/2017 at 7:38 AM, TwoToneBlue said:

I don’t know how we won last night. 

I was going to post this when I saw it one ESPN. Amazing save, but damn, how foolish / bad do you feel if you're the red wings there? I feel like there is never a reason for you not to score there lol. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

This blackhawks / devils game is a bit insane.

And of course the night after I complain about Wood offensively on the power play, he puts up 2 goals (one on the power play) and has 3 points

ha, make that a hat trick with two power play goals for Wood. I need to criticize more often. 

• Like 1

Looks like Zajac may be back as early as Thursday against Toronto. At this point, have to love the forward grouping for the Devils. Curious how the playing time and lines now shift out. Looks like this is how Hynes had it in practice

With Zajac centering the first line, coach John Hynes had rookie Nico Hischier between Jesper Bratt and Drew Stafford; Brian Boyle between Adam Henrique and Miles Wood; and Blake Coleman between Brian Gibbons and Stefan Noesen

That is very bad news for Zacha. 

Also, Mueller going to be out for a while with a broken Clavicle. That really sucks. That means more Lovejoy, and now we are going to have an even thinner defense. We are already bad, we don't need to be getting into our back ups lol.