Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

4 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

It's crazy that they fired him one day after signing Koskinen.  That either means they let him make a major signing knowing that he was on the brink of being fired, or it was a move made by the organization.  I'm not sure which is worse.  

or maybe Koskinen was the straw the broke the camels back?

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

or maybe Koskinen was the straw the broke the camels back?

I imagine that needed to get approved by management, maybe they wanted to sign him but wanted Chia's name on it in case the signing blows up.  Either way, it's not a good look for the organization.

They are in such a terrible spot too.  They have enough firepower to not really be able to tank but that team is nowhere near competing.  They're up against the cap and have absolutely no depth and are committed to a goalie with ~30 NHL games to his name.  I'm not sure what they do outside of blowing it up and wasting 3-4 years of McDavid. 

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

They are in such a terrible spot too.  They have enough firepower to not really be able to tank but that team is nowhere near competing.  They're up against the cap and have absolutely no depth and are committed to a goalie with ~30 NHL games to his name.  I'm not sure what they do outside of blowing it up and wasting 3-4 years of McDavid. 

Yeah, that team is a disaster pretty much in all possible ways. The Koskinen contract was absurd, particularly for a team that didn't have a lot of cap space to begin with. The fact that it carries through 21/22 is unbelievable. The Lucic contract is an albatross. He's signed through another 4 years after this one. I can't even believe that. I think there is too much left on that deal even to be able to start talking about teams about a possible salary dump. 

Do you start trading competent players for a nice return in the hopes that getting the younger guys back pan out? RNH is still pretty good, and his contract isn't an albatross given what he produces. He's got two more years after this one. Could that be a realistic guy to move? How about Darnell Nurse? They need to clear out some sort of space as the current construction really isn't working and the only thing that they will be able to do to resolve it is hope that younger guys come up and pan out to provide them with some quality cheap players for a few years while they endure Koskinen / Lucic and Kris Russell (and to a lesser extent, Spooner, who still counts against the cap through next year). 

On 1/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, flyers0909 said:

Hextall actually might be a good hire for Edmonton.  He'll be patient, restock the farm, and get the cap straight.  He also won't be influenced by upper management, could be a good fit.  

Their awful pro-scouting and asset management has been the problem. And with McDavid they're under pressure to compete now. I don't think a rebuild is particularly realistic in this case.

Chiarelli hindered the Oilers by surrounding the fastest player ever with a bunch of slow plugs. Guys like Sheary and Hoffman were available at very reasonable prices last season and not taking advantage of that was inexcusable.  

Edited by Josepho

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

Their awful pro-scouting and asset management has been the problem. And with McDavid they're under pressure to compete now. I don't think a rebuild is particularly realistic in this case.

Chiarelli hindered the Oilers by surrounding the fastest player ever with a bunch of slow plugs. Guys like Sheary and Hoffman were available at very reasonable prices last season and not taking advantage of that was inexcusable.  

Honestly, I don't even know how they do an immediate rebuild anyway given the cap situation. They have some truly awful contracts that they can't sell off, and buying them out really doesn't appear to be an option. Lucic's deal is 6 million per, and he's got 4 more years after this one. Plus a full no movement clause - so they won't even be able to put him up in the expansion draft. Kris Russell is really bad and has 2 more years left at 4 million, also with a full no movement clause. I don't even think that these are contracts they can move by selling with a draft pick or another player attached at the current point in time because there is simply too much time remaining on them. The Koskinen contract is ridiculous, and he'll be 4.5 / yr the next three years after this one. Unless his play greatly improves, they can't dump that deal at the current point in time. Sekera is on the books for 2 more years after this one. Maybe he's movable next season if he's healthy, I don't know. But yeah, it's really, really bad at this point in time. 

Chia is gone but I think your selling the Oilers short.

The Koskinen signing was an internal decision. It was based on the fact they don’t have a starting netminder under contract for next season. Talbot/Koskinen......pick your poison.  To much money? Probably.

Keith Gretzky is baby sitting the franchise. He’s been running amateur scouting and has done a fine job. Scouts generally determine the draft selections anyway. Someone said Edmonton’s amateur scouting is a mess and I couldn’t disagree more. Gretzky has done fine work in his time in Edmonton.

Pro scouting is where the mess is and Duane Sutter needs to go. The Manning trade was a terrible move.  The Eberle trade was the same thing. 

Griffin Reinhart was a terrible trade however there was huge internal pressure to get him. The Oils previous amateur scouting director wanted him in the draft. 

The Maroon trade was dictated by the players. Maroon didn’t fit so he was shipped out of town.

Hall for Larsson was questionable in that everyone thought a bigger return was in order. It’s hard to say if it was possible. I certainly don’t know what other GM’s were offering. Given where the Oilers were at the time I would do the trade. Larsson is a solid number 2 defenceman and they don’t come cheap. Hall is injured a great deal and frankly, imho he underachieved in Edmonton. Won an MVP but that season will be his career year. Let’s see how this pans out over the next few seasons.

So Chia is gone.

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse is a good core at the most important skating positions. The Oilers need wingers and a power play QB. 

On the farm they have Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Benson, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Marody.

Junior and college Bouchard, Safin, Maxsimov.

They also have some players that are going to generate interest at the trade deadline. Khaira, Kassian, Chiasson, Petrovic, Brodziak, Benning, Russell  and Talbot. None of these players will generate big returns however cap space is needed and the returns will be draft picks.

The Oilers do have some bad contracts on the books. Most notably McDavid, Draisaitl and Lucic. In the case of McDavid and Draisaitl to much to soon. In the case of Lucic it’s simply to much money for a third line winger. Everyone thinks he’s untradeable but I disagree and expect he will be moved, dependant on who gets traded at the deadline, prior to next season. The Oilers will either have to include a draft pick, retain salary or include a prospect. Now, if Khaira and Kassian both get moved at the deadline Lucic will stay in Edmonton. Personally I’m not inclined to want to move Lucic. He just needs to be used in the lineup more effectively. He may be overpaid but the intimidation factor he brings is still valuable. I also detest giving away assets because of a salary issue. It just seems to be compounding the problem. 

Lets not forget the Oilers were one of the favourites to win the Cup prior to last season. They of course had numerous issues that lead to their downfall but the team isn’t the shambles some suggest. Chias inability to deal with the loss of Sekera was one of his biggest downfalls. Are there issues? Certainly, however not insurmountable.

One of the big challenges facing the new GM is the same as Chiarelli faced. Composition of the team. Specifically centre ice and Goal.

Is Centre ice depth sustainable when you spend almost 30 million on the position? 

Do you move a centre? If so which one and for what return? 

This actually scares me. RNH is so under appreciated and at 6 million per year on a team friendly contract, signed for two more years. 

Do you need a Goaltender? Is Koskinen the man? How far away are Skinner and Starrett? 

I don’t have a crystal ball but I wouldn’t be comfortable with that goaltending. But, whose available! At what cost?

The team has really struggled without Sekera. With back to back major injuries and his age he won’t be coming back. How do you replace him? How far away is Bouchard? 

Minimum 2 years. He had a good audition but he has to improve in a few areas, notably skating, and that takes a bit of time. Finish junior, a rookie year in Bakersfield and then they could start selectively bringing him up. They can’t rush him. 

So who is available that can provide some scoring off the back end and run the PP? What’s the cost? 

The key to everything is the GM hire. They absolutely have to get it right this time. 

So, how would you guys fix the Oilers? Would you simply make minor moves to gain cap space, or do you jump right in and make major moves? 

Do you move the Oilers first round pick? How about a 1st, Yamamoto and  a roster player? 

Lets throw some ideas around.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I feel like the Kings could have gotten more. It's not a bad haul, but maybe just left a little on the table?

I would've loved to have been in on him. Would've given us a viable LHD that wouldn't have been completely out of place as our 1st pairing LHD.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I feel like the Kings could have gotten more. It's not a bad haul, but maybe just left a little on the table?

Hard to tell. The Leafs didn’t give up a roster player which is a win for them but that doesn’t mean the Kings lose. Muzins ability to play both sides makes him really effective for the leafs.

The Kings did alright also. It might seem a bit light but that 1st round pick is intriguing. Will they use the added capital to make a move for someone like Duchene? Durzi intrigues me as a prospect.

It could be a very interesting trade deadline.

Edited by diehardlionfan