Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

On 9/3/2020 at 10:56 PM, deathstar said:

Can’t wait to see if Gute is serious about winning or not. What a weird statement.

No one in Green Bay cares as much as the fans. The players, coaches, scouts, execs? They don't care, it's just a job to them. 

Fans are smarter than the coaches and execs too. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

8 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

We need a DE who can consistently play inside all 3 downs. Gary/Z will only slide inside in obvious passing downs.

Because....?

I remember Z lining up inside against the Vikings on early downs and destroying them.

Who says they will ONLY do it on passing downs? Again I think people aren’t thinking outside the box on these issue enough. The offense can get better without adding a WR. The run defense can get better without adding Dline.

11 minutes ago, Green19 said:

And team building is different year to year. Green Bay is way stronger at RB then they ever were from 2005-2015. There are different philosophies at play.

Almost like the shift from passing emphasis then to run now.....like my post stated in another thread

My point is you can still find guys that will be big parts of the packers 2020 season success. You can minimize Lazard as being someone that “has” to be number 2... fact is he produced.

Yes you can find guys, the issue is more than "just a guy" 

As for the Dline... I think what people are missing is that I think GB is banking on Gary. He was a plus prospect against the run in college. I think they are looking to him to help greatly in that department. Rather he does or doesn’t is up in the air.

Gary inside on run downs is not a good plan IMO

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Almost like the shift from passing emphasis then to run now.....like my post stated in another thread

I would say Lazard is more than just a guy at this point. If he falls off the face of the nfl earth this year I will concede to you he is just a guy.

I would also argue looking at our front seven we don’t need a stud or more than just a guy. What we need is someone that is consistent and assignment sure. GB is paying Clark, Smith, Smith and kirksey to be studs. Everyone else just needs to be assignment sure and steady and not get blown up consistently.

you might be right on Gary. I just think GB thinks he will be a big part of the run defense solution.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I wouldn’t expect us to run more than 45% of the time with Rodgers making calls at the line.

If there's one year where I'd be cool with not seriously trying to win football games, it's this year where teams might play any number of football games from 0 to 20.

Plus if the CFB games that have been played are any indication of anything, the quality of play on the field is going to be low and games are going to be sloppy.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

The Packers releasing Light isn't much of a surprise. He underwhelmed when he had his opportunities and there's another guy on the roster with massive athletic and measurable upside waiting in the wings. No surprise we've gone in that direction.

This is giving someone new an opportunity and seeing what they do with it. The same reasons for the WRs by cutting Kumerow and giving EQ and Taylor the opportunity.

Sometimes the only way to improve is not to stick with the status quo.

======================================

By the way there's rumors we are keeping Ento on the 53 to eventually stash on IR. I think this makes little sense for someone who is essentially at the bottom of the roster using up one of those valuable designated IR-return spots. Like EQ last year just put him on IR and worry about him next year.

These designated IR-return spots should be saved and used on important squad players who picked up non-season ending injuries.

=======================================

If there was a trade we would've heard about it by now. 

I'm glad we've moved Curtis Bolton to the PUP. I really liked what I saw of him in last year's preseason and he would provide cover for Greene and at ILB.

Greg Roberts has no path to the roster and releasing him made sense. He has been injured both last year and this year and other players have come along and progressed.

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

The Packers releasing Light isn't much of a surprise. He underwhelmed when he had his opportunities and there's another guy on the roster with massive athletic and measurable upside waiting in the wings. No surprise we've gone in that direction.

This is giving someone new an opportunity and seeing what they do with it. The same reasons for the WRs by cutting Kumerow and giving EQ and Taylor the opportunity.

Sometimes the only way to improve is not to stick with the status quo.

======================================

By the way there's rumors we are keeping Ento on the 53 to eventually stash on IR. I think this makes little sense for someone who is essentially at the bottom of the roster using up one of those valuable designated IR-return spots. Like EQ last year just put him on IR and worry about him next year.

These designated IR-return spots should be saved and used on important squad players who picked up non-season ending injuries.

If there was a trade we would've heard about it by now. 

I'm glad we've moved Curtis Bolton to the PUP. I really liked what I saw of him in last year's preseason and he would provide cover for Greene and at ILB.

Greg Roberts has no path to the roster and releasing him made sense. He has been injured both last year and this year and other players have come along and progressed.

There's an unlimited number of IR designated to return spots this year, and it's only three weeks before you can bring them back. It's basically going to be used as a treadmill for anyone who's injured enough they can't play for awhile.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

There's an unlimited number of IR designated to return spots this year, and it's only three weeks before you can bring them back. It's basically going to be used as a treadmill for anyone who's injured enough they can't play for awhile.

I thought the 3 week rule was only for people put on Covid-IR.

Standard IR continues to operate as normal no?

Edited by Chili

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

I thought the 3 week rule was only for people put on Covid-IR.

Standard IR continues to operate as normal no?

That was the initial report, it turned out to be inaccurate.

The procedures previously explained actually would apply to injured reserve generally. Every team would have the ability to return an unlimited number of players to the active roster following placement on injured reserve or the non-football injury/illness list.

The 2020-only rules, which become effective after 4:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, September 6, will allow the team to remove any player with a football or non-football injury from the roster for three weeks. After three weeks, the player will be eligible to return to practice. Once he returns to practice, the team will have 21 days to place him back on the active roster.