Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

Great stuff, some questions for the OL if anyone has heard or knows.

1) Is Turner always a starter? (I know it's too early to tell, but I'm trying to figure out if this a 3 player battle for two spots, or a 2 player battle for one spot, does Turner have a starting spot locked?)

2) Who are the 2nd string OTs? I assume Runyan at LG then? With Hanson at C and Patrick at RG. 

Also I think I saw a tweet showing Light was the 2nd team left tackle. So it would've been Light-Runyan-Hanson-Patrick-?????

I'm guessing as there was a rotaton at RT, If Turner started at RT on the no.1 team then Wagner would've dropped back to the no.2 team but who replaces Wagner when he moves up? I don't know.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Also I think I saw a tweet showing Light was the 2nd team left tackle. So it would've been Light-Runyan-Hanson-Patrick-?????

With me not thinking much of Light (or any of the backup LTs), I wonder if they're keeping Runyon on the left side to potentially be the emergency LT backup, and/or Jenkins or Runyan to move to Center if Linsley isn't resigned (Jenkins was Center in College).

4 hours ago, Beast said:

With me not thinking much of Light (or any of the backup LTs), I wonder if they're keeping Runyon on the left side to potentially be the emergency LT backup, and/or Jenkins or Runyan to move to Center if Linsley isn't resigned (Jenkins was Center in College).

Could be, but the Packers drafted Jake Hanson, who started about 50 games at Center for Oregon. He’s the likely replacement if/when Linsley leaves.

Edited by JQ1

1 hour ago, JQ1 said:

Could be, but the Packers drafted Jake Hansen, who played center started about 50 games for Oregon over his four-year career. He’s likely the next center if/when Linsley leaves.

I hope he turns out to be excellent.  But I'm hesitant to ever assume a late 6th-rounder is ever likely to be a starter on a winning team in his second year.

3 hours ago, craig said:

I hope he turns out to be excellent.  But I'm hesitant to ever assume a late 6th-rounder is ever likely to be a starter on a winning team in his second year.

You may be right craig. But Linsley was a 5th rounder, and he started his first regular season game as a rookie, after Tretter got hurt. That game, you may recall, was in Seattle, and Corey did quite well under the lights in a hostile environment! 

That written, I have no idea if Jake Hanson will be a quality player in the NFL;  but he's smart, experienced, is a natural Center, has some skills for a zone-blocking offense, and is an absolute dog.

Edited by JQ1

Guys, it's like day 2 of camp. They're just trying to get everybody's feet wet and work through some potential injury situations.

The starting 5 will be Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Linsley-Turner-Wagner.

Taylor will back up the Guards. He's a heavy favorite in a battle with Runyan.

Patrick will back up Linsley. He's a heavy favorite in a battle with Hanson.

Light will back up the Tackles. He's a heavy favorite in a battle with Nijman and an extremely off chance that the team is comfortable with Turner as the swing Tackle and not carrying a pure 3rd Tackle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Guys, it's like day 2 of camp. They're just trying to get everybody's feet wet and work through some potential injury situations.

Light will back up the Tackles. He's a heavy favorite in a battle with Nijman and an extremely off chance that the team is comfortable with Turner as the swing Tackle and not carrying a pure 3rd Tackle.

I've already seen at least 3-4 articles talking about Mont Adams taking a step, Tonyan as TE 1 and Burks being ready to show out. It's that time of year. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

2 days of camp is too soon to suggest that Turner and Light are in as solid a position as you suggest. Turner was statistically one of the worst starting Guards in the NFL last year, especially in pass pro. Light struggled so much they had to go out and pick up Veldheer off the scrap heap. There is real competition on the right side of the OL because those guys weren't good enough. They have a lot to prove. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I've already seen at least 3-4 articles talking about Mont Adams taking a step, Tonyan as TE 1 and Burks being ready to show out. It's that time of year. 

I'm an eternal optimist, and I love all those hope-springs-eternal stories.  It's appropriate to doubt them. But I think it's also helpful to remember that major-improvement stories, while usually improbable on a case-by-case level, are possible and abundant in the NFL.  From a volume of possible could-step-up guys, statistics suggests that some variable number will actually step up.  

It's also true that for teams that have happy-ending seasons, usually there are at least a couple of major-improvement-is-possible-but-unlikely guys who do actually improve and contribute.  

It's also the National Injury League, with play-badly-playing-hurt guys.  Playing-better-playing-healthy is natural; while it's mockable, playing-better-playing-healthy is a common theme in hope-springs-eternal stories. 

Heh heh, so I'm kinda embarrassed, but not all that much, in hoping some of these hope stories do work out well for guys and for the team.  

I find it hard to be optimistic about Adams when I read the following quote. It's the kind of quote you'd expect to hear abouta rookie, not a 3 year pro:

“We have high expectations. He’s a very talented guy. He always gives great effort,” coach Matt LaFleur said on Tuesday. “We have to make sure he knows what to do. We have to be able to trust him to put him out there.”

27 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

2 days of camp is too soon to suggest that Turner and Light are in as solid a position as you suggest. Turner was statistically one of the worst starting Guards in the NFL last year, especially in pass pro. Light struggled so much they had to go out and pick up Veldheer off the scrap heap. There is real competition on the right side of the OL because those guys weren't good enough. They have a lot to prove. 

Turner was not one of the worst starting guards in the league. He was an average starter.