CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Man…takes a special POS to try to force his medical team to disqualify a player in an acute psych facility for suicidal thoughts to open up a scholarship spot. 

It's almost like this can't be the full truth and we don't know something important about the situation but then I remember who this is and figure it's all out there

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 10:19 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

NIL is wild

https://x.com/247Sports/status/1792913340236226606

"BREAKING: Georgia QB Jaden Rashada is suing Florida head coach Billy Napier and top Gators booster Hugh Hathcock for fraud, among other allegations, over failed $13.85 million NIL deal, per

@JTalty

. Full Story https://cbssports.com/college-football/news/georgia-qb-jaden-rashada-sues-florida-coach-billy-napier-among-others-over-botched-13-85m-nil-deal/"

Weird how tweets don't seem to show any longer when I copy the URL from a browser. Still works on my phone though. Anyone have any insight on this? Not trying to make people click a link to view the content.

Seems pretty baseless. But what did people think would happen when you started making g promises of millions of dollars to a bunch of spoiled high school kids who almost certainly don't grasp that money and millions isn't Madden Franchise mode with the salary cap turned off? 

I think the claim is lacking in merit, but ya know, I hope he wins. Maybe it'll put an early end to the whole NIL debacle of bored used car salesmen throwing obscene amounts of money at kids to come to their backwater alma maters and do some commercials for them. 

Everything about how NIL has been handled has been pretty disastrous, imo, and will eventually get worse and worse. I'm waiting for the day some poor kid naively enters a contract for millions with some scheister booster and his logo-monogrammed Bermuda hat at the country club, overlooks that his contract is contingent on winning a Heisman and National Championship, with the funds as an advance, spends the money as kids tend to do (regardless of what it's on) and winds up in a bind when he ends up just not being as good at football as he thought. 

I played with a guy once back about 18 years ago now (ooooh man time flies). He played QB in little league, QB amd LB in high school. He was the local star and his family had a few minor connections (dad was chummy with some folks at the state school's athletic department, etc). Kid was a slam dunk for a scholarship offer (and got it as a 4 star). For high school, especially, he was good. He deserved the opportunity. 

He also pissed and moaned about the need to pay players. I remember him saying he should get paid because he's going to bring them a national championship. He was confident, and good for him. But I remember his "guarantee". I thought "Dude, you've never played against anyone that lives more than 50 miles away from you....". But his guarantee went a step further, and he cockily proclaimed he'd "bet with them on it". Them being the school he wanted to pay him. 

Well...I liked the guy. We were friendly and I don't consider him a bad dude at all. I wouldn't even call him spoiled. Cocky and confident, yes. His old man was the same way. Everyone in his circle was wrapped up in him being a star and the prospects were exciting, from teachers and coaches on to the local barber for goodness sake.

So THANK GOD he wasn't able to actually formalize that bet. When he was beaten out by a 2 star nobody had heard of from out of state, the unspoken embarrassment was bad enough for him. When he wound up having to switch positions to make the roster, it was even worse. We went to different colleges, but casually kept in touch and his experience was brutal. He went to an NFL camp as an invite, but his football journey ended there. 

The personal disappointment was bad. Now add the weight of a ton of money with strings attached to it. And it won't be long before those strings become commonplace if boosters and local yokels spend enough on dud NIL deals because so and so didn't actually pan out with a return on the investment. These guys aren't a charity making sure college players are taken care of. We all know it's done in hopes of a championship, excitement, prestige, and more money for the guys paying these ridiculous deals. 

My friend was willing to gamble on himself at the time, literally amd figuratively. The problem is that others were more than willing to make him a gamble too. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40206364/ncaa-power-conferences-agree-allow-schools-pay-players

The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, according to sources. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

As someone who's not a PSU fan..... no lol.

But yeah, some things are bigger than football and this shouldn't be tolerated.

Yeah well I am, and I'm sick of our Gatekeeper head coach.

Posted (edited)

Colorado defensive back Shilo Sanders, son of head coach Deion Sanders, is $11 million in debt and filed for bankruptcy in October 2023, according to USA Today.  The petition for relief -- which was filed under Chapter 7 in Colorado's Bankruptcy Code -- states Sanders is on the hook for $11.3 million stemming from a March 2022 civil trial in Texas. The initial filing noted Sanders owns $478,000 in assets, though an amendment in December brought that number down to $320,000. 

The filing obtained by USA Today states that Sanders brought in a gross income of $193,713 during the 2023 fiscal year. That number is actually down from the $216,950 he netted while playing at Jackson State in 2022. A large portion of his income can be attributed to name, image and likeness deals -- Sanders reported a Mercedes valued at almost $76,000 among his assets -- but it's a far cry from some of the NIL projections that external metrics have placed on the Colorado star.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/shilo-sanders-files-for-bankruptcy-colorado-dbs-debt-stems-from-allegedly-assaulting-security-guard-in-2015/

Edited by Dan33185

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 9:46 AM, Dan33185 said:

Colorado defensive back Shilo Sanders, son of head coach Deion Sanders, is $11 million in debt and filed for bankruptcy in October 2023, according to USA Today.  The petition for relief -- which was filed under Chapter 7 in Colorado's Bankruptcy Code -- states Sanders is on the hook for $11.3 million stemming from a March 2022 civil trial in Texas. The initial filing noted Sanders owns $478,000 in assets, though an amendment in December brought that number down to $320,000. 

The filing obtained by USA Today states that Sanders brought in a gross income of $193,713 during the 2023 fiscal year. That number is actually down from the $216,950 he netted while playing at Jackson State in 2022. A large portion of his income can be attributed to name, image and likeness deals -- Sanders reported a Mercedes valued at almost $76,000 among his assets -- but it's a far cry from some of the NIL projections that external metrics have placed on the Colorado star.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/shilo-sanders-files-for-bankruptcy-colorado-dbs-debt-stems-from-allegedly-assaulting-security-guard-in-2015/

Edit: read the article. I bet it helps that dad is loaded and could probably pay for everything, so he lowers what assets he has himself.

Edited by RuskieTitan